Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Best choke on the market....

Best choke on the market....

I saw a post today on the nzwaterfowler Facebook page today, talking about chokes. One of the fellas recommended watching a video series on YouTube by Surviving Duck Season called Shotgunning. I just watched it and recommend it if you are in the same boat as me thinking are aftermarket chokes really what they are hyped up to be. Very interesting to say the least. I thought others on here might get something out of it.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL70m69QoL4I-x3h-BBvl76KhOLYsBTyzG
    MB likes this.

Called Patternmaster.

whatever is in the gun......if you take the time to pattern your gun and loads,you can make pretty much any choke work....I used to get all hung up on it..now I just go and poke holes in the sky,if duck falls out,well and good.
    7mmsaum, mikee, Dama dama and 3 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Got to be the Warriors doesn't it

If you cant shoot a shotgun well then a "magic" new choke is unlikely to have much effect as much as some of us would like to think otherwise.
    Trust the dog.........................................ALWAYS Trust the dog!!

its a bit like this
    yesterday some expert from health department something or other was saying its time of year when houses get damp n Mould n mildew forms so on warmer day...get them windows open and let lots of fresh air in to help dry the place out...just like me old Mum has been doing for last 70 years and I've done in all my 35 of being householder.....just like drawing curtains when it starts to cool off...logical
    then ten minutes after this announcement a DVS add comes on saying"opening a few windows wont help''
    the difference???? one person/organisation is trying to HELP you..the other is trying to SELL you something
    the difference is HUGE
    woods223 likes this.

A friend got a pattern master and swore it was the ducks nuts, it was suggested he compare it to the std chokes. So he took it off the semi and onto a o/u and patterned it in a board. The pattern was marginally tighter at 40 yards and did have a few less outliers but it was nothing significant and wouldn't improve your chances or range. He still uses it as at around $200 he wasn't going to chuck it, but he regrets drinking the coolade

if my buddy ever finds the extended modified choke again and I get it back...I will actually do what have contemplated so many times and get engineering inclined buddy to port it somewhat...3-4-5-6 small holes bored in top half of it will help to reduce the uplift upon fireing..I KNOW it works as have done it to a single barrel.... shouldnt effect choke at all but may help keep on target,not that its a huge deal on pump action as are shucking immediately anyway

They might be marginally better (maybe) but my experience tells me that ducks don’t fall from the sky because of the quality of my shooting, not because I didn’t have the flash $200 choke.
    Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if my buddy ever finds the extended modified choke again and I get it back...I will actually do what have contemplated so many times and get engineering inclined buddy to port it somewhat...3-4-5-6 small holes bored in top half of it will help to reduce the uplift upon fireing..I KNOW it works as have done it to a single barrel.... shouldnt effect choke at all but may help keep on target,not that its a huge deal on pump action as are shucking immediately anyway
    Just do it yourself to the barrel. Then itbdoesnt matter what choke you use.
    Did it to my mossberg years ago. Look like I paid someone to do it lol
    Micky Duck likes this.

Great series from Surviving Duck Season, I've learnt lots. He is really big on patterning. I'd be doing that with factory chokes before dropping silly money on a fancy aftermarket choke.
    Micky Duck and rockland like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Had a patternmaster for my m2 years ago, I actually shot better with the standard chokes.

With the likes of the B brands their factory chokes are pretty spot on for the most part.

If I was to buy a aftermarket one I'd grab one from Greg at custom guns as their not too pricey plus he's a good bugger.

The one thing I will say about patternmasters and the like is that by having the shot string arrive on the target at the same time also has the side effect of if you overlead it you're going to outright miss too. Just my experience which I hope helps someone else

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    I need a couple new chokes for my under/over,and am resigned to have to order them from overseas, probably Brownells.......does anyone else here want to share shipping costs and order at the same time?.
    What are you buying the local brieley rep is pretty good?
    Trust the dog.........................................ALWAYS Trust the dog!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    A friend got a pattern master and swore it was the ducks nuts, it was suggested he compare it to the std chokes. So he took it off the semi and onto a o/u and patterned it in a board. The pattern was marginally tighter at 40 yards and did have a few less outliers but it was nothing significant and wouldn't improve your chances or range. He still uses it as at around $200 he wasn't going to chuck it, but he regrets drinking the coolade
    Slayed more pheasants than I care to recall with the Patternmaster. Makes a huge difference on the Benelli. It puts a ring of confidence on the trigger finger. Each to their own.