Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: My last dog couldnt swim so now i need a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    When I think about it ,I've never seen a dud lab as in hunting drive . My mates love them And have had a great run over the years. There are no shortage of labs in Canterbury . They also are used on the upland game . And I'm great full of there presistance on downed quails , that give the gsp the slip . My bag would sometimes be a lot lighter .They flush there fair share as well .
    i have had some handy labs over the years, would still be running them if i didn't find out i could shoot more over a dog that covered more ground and lasted more than a 1/2 km away from water, i came to hpr's and spaniels late in life, how i which i had one when the upland bird numbers were high like when i was running labs.

It's all big cycle, bird numbers included. I hear old timers moan about it, but I reckon these things go in cycles. I recall CNI as a young kid, putting up coveys of quail every five minutes on my bike around home. Kaiangaroa was lousy with them, even cold old Taupo. Wouldn't happen today.. However as forestry cycles, I reckon I will see those bird numbers again in my time. Start a lab now in time for it! haha

i think the future for quail is at least is a trip south twice a year.
    up here small keeperd land is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

You are right where me and Jakewire are and have the same shooting available. You can have a play round with my dog if you want. She is not really a lab, but she hunts like one, I tried to a large extent to emulate Jakewires dog Che.
    A coulpe of Wirehunts comments are putting me off Brittany's for my first hunting dog. I want one that i can see results with quickly and one that is happy chillin out at home correct me if im wrong anyone but a brittany would be always "ON" if you know what i mean. where a Lab would go find a shady spot and have a kip.

Thanks for the offer Tussock i would like to see how your dog goes and have a chat about the area sometime.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Is that the 3 year old Pip that you go off some fella? hows the training coming along with her?
    Improving all the time, but she'd need to. I do blame the previous owners though, no dog should be that outta control as there is just no need for it. But they tried to make a pet out of a driven dog that needs a lot of work to keep happy, this one will never be a stunning dog I feel, but she does like to work and she is reining in better all the time.
    Everyone I talked with about the breed asks if she chases birds, seems to be a big thing with them. Driving home with the boy he told me he reckons she's got the dog version of ADD.....

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Really? I have only ever heard good things about curly coats. A mate had one as a pig dog and years later is still talking about it. Apparently it was a pig finding, bone crunching monster. Am I looking in the wrong places?
    So there wasn't much chance of a bird getting retrieved and being edible afterwards?

Ejected
    That dog had a good mouth on the ducks and pheasant, kill a deer or hold a pig to. Which is in fact what I would expect from the breed. Same with the one after her.

When I was a kid we had a lab that used to catch and retrieve mice, unharmed. He was good retrieving the ducks to as well as being a good rabbiter, he'd kill them if running in a pack situation or retrieve if on his own or that's what you wanted.

Ejected
    I wouldn't worry about the soft mouth. She'll work it out in time.