Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Who still makes 0.223" diameter projectiles?

hornady 50 grn spsx aka super explody worked well on wallabies but were very messy
    hornady 50 gen vmax (actually zmax with puke green tips) also work very well and are very messy,they have a little bit of a rounded bum,not a boat tail as such but enough to make starting seating a breaze.
    keep us posted as to how you get on.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by NAKED_GOOSE View Post
    admittedly I was a little surprised the twist was 1 in 16, had expected 1 in 14 or so but I suppose 1 in 16 is about the same as the 222 rifles of the era, there seems to be plenty 30-50gr projectiles about so have plenty to choose from, just not quite as cheap as the bulk 55gr from hornady, may yet try some of those and see what happens.
    The .223 bores seem to be made using rimfire tooling hence the 1-16" twist, standard for the likes of 22LR. I've not heard of or personally encountered an older .223 barrel with anything faster. The .22WMR is faster twist usually but runs .224 pills.
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    hornady 50 grn spsx aka super explody worked well on wallabies but were very messy
    hornady 50 gen vmax (actually zmax with puke green tips) also work very well and are very messy,they have a little bit of a rounded bum,not a boat tail as such but enough to make starting seating a breaze.
    keep us posted as to how you get on.
    I have ordered the spsx, mainly due to them being cheaper by about $10 per packet than the other 50gr projectiles on offer, I'll certainly be referring to them as super explodies
    I have about 10 soft point projectiles and 30 hollow points in the ammo to be pulled.

will update on what happens, still waiting on some more brass from the PO, and will have to get a neck turning setup as this rifle seems to have a tight chamber.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    Hunting and Outdoor Supplies are listing 40 and 45gn sierra hornet .223 diameter projectiles.

Sent from my SM-A145F using Tapatalk
    https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/220-Russian/2581
    Interesting that "Load Data" shows .221 projectile something I had never heard of,would be a great varmint cartridge if accurate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/220-Russian/2581
    Interesting that "Load Data" shows .221 projectile something I had never heard of,would be a great varmint cartridge if accurate enough.

I did see that while looking around on the internet, I think it might just be a misprint/incorrect as even the newer 5.45x39 cartridge seems to use .2215" dia projectiles looking at hornady's offerings, hoping it comes out accurate, has already been bedded but the stock has had multiple cracks repaired so I'm considering trying to make a replacement, whether or not that turns out any good is any ones guess.

Right,
    After a fair bit of faffing I've finally got some loaded rounds together, 20gr of 2206H topped with a 50gr super explodey, loaded to 51mm OAL, will take them out and see what happens once the rains stopped
    rifle has a tight chamber so they've been neck turned to fit,
    also in the block are some 303 and 44 mag that I've got to get around to testing

Name:  IMG_1844.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  1.77 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.

And a picture of the rifle for some reference, Its a Izhmash Bars 4-1, little rough around the edges, has had the barrel shortened to 16" and threaded but soon to have a suppressor on there.
    Name:  IMG_1845.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  990.4 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

she will be a true international when suppressed...Russian rifle with??jap?? mounts and American scope and a kiwi suppressor
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Not sure on the rings if I'm honest, if it shoots well I might be having a crack at making a walnut stock for it, stock wood doesnt really do it for me as well as there being a few cracks that have been repaired, will be attempting a stock for my rolling block first as the inletting looks easier for a beginner.

Certainly a mix of parts in there, slight teething problems with the neck turning tool but I'll get that sorted as I go.

Got out to shoot some yesterday, so far the groups don't look to flash, although it was somewhat windy,
    Shooting at 60M my groups were in excess of 2 inches, I'll keep working the loads upward as i'm still only at 22 grains of 2206H and looking at GRT 26.5 grains would be 38000psi so I should still have a fair bit of room to work up assuming that it will all fit in the case.

will get out again when the wind dies down, then any accuracy issues will be between my ability and potentially the projectile weight.

blue tape in the first image is point of aim, then covered the holes from the first group with more tape for the next load, should of brought another bit of paper
    5 shot group, 20 grains of 2206H
    Name:  IMG_1847.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  1.27 MB

4 shot group 21 grains of 2206H (one case wasn't turned enough to chamber)
    Name:  IMG_1848.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  1.05 MB