Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 308 case differences?

I've Ben loading for twenty something years , this is the first time I've struck this issue. Worst case I'll load the non sticky ones only

Impure Lead Flinger
    Lol usually I just screw the f/l in a 1/16th at a time or get heavy with the body dies...

Could be that those cases have been fired in a loose chamber and now you need a small base die to get em back down to fit a "normal" or "tight" chamber.
    You could
    Bin the tight ones use the good ones.
    Size the tight ones down as far as posible seat a pill out into the lands(to retain something to headspace on) and fire form.
    Buy some new brass.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Yea stop bein a tight prick... Get some new brass lol

Yep will do, I do have a lot of brass

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I had a bunch of 270 brass that came with a gun I brought - about 1000 pieces of it
    1/2 of it was fucked - same thing you are describing - unknon number of firings.
    Dumped the lot on TM and scored a bunch of once fired RP and have had no probs with the same press, dies etc

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I had a bunch of 270 brass that came with a gun I brought - about 1000 pieces of it
    1/2 of it was fucked - same thing you are describing - unknon number of firings.
    Dumped the lot on TM and scored a bunch of once fired RP and have had no probs with the same press, dies etc
    Hahahahaha

You wouldn't be the first to to dump 1/2 fucked brass on TM either

I struck the same problem with some 250 Savage I was working on- only some brass would chamber after a F/L resise. The guy I got one of the rifles and dies off swore it was the dies - and he has reloaded for a very long time. I ground down a shell holder and it seemed to cure the problem. Then I had one of the 250's rebarrelled, and asked the 'smith to check the headspace in both my 250's.

He reckoned they were both "quite tight". Anyhow I was ruing this and in the meantime got a new (to me) RCBS Rockchucker press. Reloaded a bunch of 250 ammo - Oh Buggar - forgot to use the shaved shell-holder.

Well you know all those rounds were just fine - my old press must have had too much flex - and I've done a couple of hundred of all sorts of brass since on the RCBS and no problems.

So - Maybe get the gorse out of your pockets Antsman and get a decent press (or borrow one to use with your dies as a trial) - that might go a long way to solving your issues.

haha gorse in me pockets, i cant see how the press is the problem, when the shell holder touches the die, altho it is still possible,,,

could be the dies too, guess i could borrow mates 308 dies to try in my press,,,

thanks for the post mate

when you set up the fl die,

> close ram on press with shell holder
    > screw die till touching
    > open ram
    > screw die down further 1/8 to 1/4
    > resize case and still and have issues?
    Manufactured Commercial Small Arms 2010 USA Vs. Commercial Small Arms 2010 Imported to NZ
    ... 1,800,000.00 / 8,000.00 = 0.44%

Yep done that 5 times over. Still same probs

Hate to say this but a real stiff press will make a difference when you do this. I was only teasing about the gorse, see if you can try your dies in someone else's press . . . Worth a try before you mess with altering shell holders/dies etc.