Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 30cal hunting projectiles

What would be a substitute for a 130 ttsx? Cost is up there aye.
    What would a 125 accubond be like?

its still only around 2 bucks a deer

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Gibo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

In my 7mm I use a 140gr Barnes TSX for up to 100 and for longer shots Amax 162 grainers

Combo for me is really useful as the 140's are bang on at 100 in the x ring and the Amax's 2 inches high at 100 and bang on at 220-250 where they'd do the most damage anyway. So for me its relatively simple then to stick my dope sheet on my stock for longer shots but my first round in the gun magazine is a TSX, reason being it gives me a go to round for the shit just popped up in front of me animal - whilst if its further away I can either use the TSX or decide to set up and shoot for a shot further away.

May sound a bit weird as a mix but it works for me - especially knowing the POI differentials for distance of the two rounds.
    puku and veitnamcam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    In my 7mm I use a 140gr Barnes TSX for up to 100 and for longer shots Amax 162 grainers

Combo for me is really useful as the 140's are bang on at 100 in the x ring and the Amax's 2 inches high at 100 and bang on at 220-250 where they'd do the most damage anyway. So for me its relatively simple then to stick my dope sheet on my stock for longer shots but my first round in the gun magazine is a TSX, reason being it gives me a go to round for the shit just popped up in front of me animal - whilst if its further away I can either use the TSX or decide to set up and shoot for a shot further away.

May sound a bit weird as a mix but it works for me - especially knowing the POI differentials for distance of the two rounds.
    Pretty sure thats how VC rolls too. Good idea I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Pretty sure thats how VC rolls too. Good idea I reckon
    It's only not worked for me once which was on a bloody goat would you believe. Shot was at 135 so used the Barnes, put the rifle on a rock with the harris and set up.... Boom! Bloody goat ran off as though nothing had happened about 20 m into a little rocky re entrant. Mate next to me Craig pissed himself laughing - how the hell did you miss that. I shrugged - I don't know mate I reckon I was dead on...

Then we were ribbing each other about it and head a commotion from further up the valley from a few other goats so started walking up that way. We got about 20m up the road and I could make out the body of the aforementioned goat on a rock about 30 m from where I'd shot it.

Recovering it the round had slightly quartered due to the angle hit and demolished the heart and gone out the other shoulder fully shattering it and it was handing by a thread. Shows you that the bloody adrenaline from a heart shot still makes em run pretty good even on 3 legs, If not far!

Nah I bloody love the TSX for the close stuff awesome.
    Evidence below! Entry side showing the other was pretty brutal!!

Name:  IMG_0462.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  1.04 MB
    Last edited by Carpe Diem; 28-11-2014 at 11:00 AM.

used to work well with my 308 but with 168 zerod 100 130ttsx were two inches high, point and shoot to 300 and dial the amax for longer.
    Unfortunately for me my 30-284 puts them to vastly different POI
    Will probably try 150gmx at some stage as I think it will push them fast enough to work well and hopefully have similar POI.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    used to work well with my 308 but with 168 zerod 100 130ttsx were two inches high, point and shoot to 300 and dial the amax for longer.
    Unfortunately for me my 30-284 puts them to vastly different POI
    Will probably try 150gmx at some stage as I think it will push them fast enough to work well and hopefully have similar POI.

How fast does the 30-284 spit the 168's?

Haven't tryd the 168 in it ,went to 178 for a bit more sectional density. it spits them out at just shy of 3000fps.
    25 inch barrel.

Caretaker
    VC are you still liking that 2-12 VX6 ????
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yes, if i got another i might go 3-18 but 2-12 is good.
    I like the boon and crocket

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Haven't used the SST's on deer yet. The Hornady 150gr Interlocks work well and I know a couple of blokes that swear by the Lapua 150gr Mega for Japs and Reds. I'm going to give the Nosler 150gr Accubonds a try on the big pine forest Reds.

Speer 165 gn SPBT or Hotcor, or Nosler Partitions 150 gn or 165 gn would be my choice for bush and out to 300yd.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    It's only not worked for me once which was on a bloody goat would you believe. Shot was at 135 so used the Barnes, put the rifle on a rock with the harris and set up.... Boom! Bloody goat ran off as though nothing had happened about 20 m into a little rocky re entrant. Mate next to me Craig pissed himself laughing - how the hell did you miss that. I shrugged - I don't know mate I reckon I was dead on...

Then we were ribbing each other about it and head a commotion from further up the valley from a few other goats so started walking up that way. We got about 20m up the road and I could make out the body of the aforementioned goat on a rock about 30 m from where I'd shot it.

Recovering it the round had slightly quartered due to the angle hit and demolished the heart and gone out the other shoulder fully shattering it and it was handing by a thread. Shows you that the bloody adrenaline from a heart shot still makes em run pretty good even on 3 legs, If not far!

Nah I bloody love the TSX for the close stuff awesome.
    Evidence below! Entry side showing the other was pretty brutal!!

Attachment 31604
    With a heart shot, because the heart immediately stops pumping and there is no organ damage for the in-situ blood thoughout the body to drain into, the oxygenated blood stays in the animal and keeps it going for that 25 metre dash. Thats why heart shot deer rush off. They keel over once their blood oxygen is depleted.

Sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yes, if i got another i might go 3-18 but 2-12 is good.
    I like the boon and crocket

I’ve got a 2-12 VX6 on my .243, and it has had plenty of work. Very impressed except for the zero shifting through rubbing in the bush. I wish the CDS could lock.

I'll throw in a plus one for the SST have had really good results from 80m out to just under 400. 80m was an entertaining bounding neckshot on a fallow hind (lucky shot too) and it was all bang - belly flop. Under 400m still bang flop if hit right, big fan of the SST.