Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: 7mm08 Projectiles - who's using what?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfern View Post
    51 grains of staball 6.5 with win brass fed 210 primers and 139 interlocks gets me 2850 fps out of a 17 inch barrel according to the Labrador.
    I wouldn't trust a Labrador....notoriously suspect creatures when it comes to ballistics

your quite correct about the Labrador. also inclined to get a bit sidetracked by non target species despite our discussions on the subject.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Sorry, I don't recall calling you a liar but I'm glad you're not upset anyway.
    2 component manufacturers can't get the same speed as you but, you never know eh.
    I know of 1 18” sako shooting 150eldx at 2850 and another tikka at 2900 both 2208 and both about 3-4 grains over max and the only signs of “pressure” is the velocity brass is lasting well and not stamping on either it would appear you can go well over book max with these powders if your using brass as a pressure indicator, I’m personally shooting 42gns off 2208 (book max) for 2610 with no signs of pressure either but brass Is expensive and speeds not my goal

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I know of 1 18” sako shooting 150eldx at 2850 and another tikka at 2900 both 2208 and both about 3-4 grains over max and the only signs of “pressure” is the velocity brass is lasting well and not stamping on either it would appear you can go well over book max with these powders if your using brass as a pressure indicator, I’m personally shooting 42gns off 2208 (book max) for 2610 with no signs of pressure either but brass Is expensive and speeds not my goal
    Brass is really cheap compared to facial surgery. A bigger gun is also cheap in comparison.
    10% overloaded is just stupid. Yes manuals are conservative but its irresponsible to suggest doing such a thing here, and yeah your mate or whoever might get away with it but, why? I bet your rifle kills shit just as well.
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Brass is really cheap compared to facial surgery. A bigger gun is also cheap in comparison.
    10% overloaded is just stupid. Yes manuals are conservative but its irresponsible to suggest doing such a thing here, and yeah your mate or whoever might get away with it but, why? I bet your rifle kills shit just as well.
    Not yet blooded but I’m confident even at my humble speed the bullets not going to bounce off
    kiwijames likes this.

Not yet blooded but I’m confident even at my humble speed the bullets not going to bounce off
    I'm running the 150 eldx in my 18" tikka at 2530fps and I've never had one "bounce off" deer even at 305m. I have heard people say they are too soft and blow up?. Often wondered if they are just pushing them too fast?.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hunter Al.7mm08 View Post
    I'm running the 150 eldx in my 18" tikka at 2530fps and I've never had one "bounce off" deer even at 305m. I have heard people say they are too soft and blow up?. Often wondered if they are just pushing them too fast?.

To hard I reckon all my issues have being penciling all at magnum speeds sub 300 yards always performed excellent once the bullets slowed down abit
    hunter Al.7mm08 likes this.

Greetings All,
    Regarding AR2206H in the 7mm-08 I am using 41 grains with the Speer 145 grain in Lapua cases and a 26 inch barrel. This chronographs 2,800 fps over my 35P, about 70 fps more than book max or about what you would expect for the longer barrel.
    Hodgdon does list 42.5 grains of AR2206H with the 139 grain Hornady Interlock for 2,857 fps in a 24 inch barrel. In an 18 inch barrel the velocity would be 2,700 fps, still good for an 18 inch tube but nowhere near 2,900 fps.
    I used AR2206H as it was in stock in my powder cupboard and it is one of my go to powders.
    Regards Grandpamac.

To hard I reckon all my issues have being penciling all at magnum speeds sub 300 yards always performed excellent once the bullets slowed down abit
    Have you had a play with the 162 eldm?. Haven't tried them myself but heard good things about them.

Caretaker
    Have you had a play with the 162 eldm?. Haven't tried them myself but heard good things about them.

They are real hammers on all NZ deer species
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I'm using 45gns of winchester 748 under Hornady 139 SPBT interlock's. Getting 2800 fps from 22" T3. Under an inch, 5 shots at 100m.

Yip but in 7mag and 7 saum not the 708 fantastic projectiles

I'm still running the 162gr Amax @2640fps in my 708. Devastating.

Not changing projectile anytime soon.

I normally run the 150 B-tip or 154gr Soft point, have had very good results with the old 154gr round nose from Hornady, wish they still made them.
    My 7-08 is a 18" bush rifle, I take the 7x57 with 162 gr A-max if I want more range.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Another vote for 162 ELDM here, me and my brother have both shot alot of animals with them with 7m08 at 2500fps MV out to 400y and imo they are one of the best 7mm bullets you could use. I use 90gr Hammer Hunters in mine now but would happily go back to the eldms if i couldnt get the hammers any more.