Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Barrel Accuracy Nodes - How wide are yours ?

R93
    Pull those sciroccos back off the lands 50 thou and try 1/2 a dozen. Just for laughs. I wanna see if they will shoot or have ya already tried it?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Pull those sciroccos back off the lands 50 thou and try 1/2 a dozen. Just for laughs. I wanna see if they will shoot or have ya already tried it?
    1"-1.5" at 100m but tried 320m i think it was 1" group.. twice so!!!!!
    Pissed round abit but they wont tighten in close wuth 06 but thats a range queen now.. to heavy for huntin. Dunno what ibwas thinkin wen i built it????

My understanding is the lower node is best pick for wear. I suppose it depends on how many rounds you fire per year whether that matters or not. Everyone tells me target rifle barrels seem to have a life of 4000 rounds which is about 4 years and at $1k a pop...ouch. So I suspect Im going to have a box of suicide rounds for 1000yds and shoot everything else at 45grains or so as it could mean an extra year barrel life.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    1"-1.5" at 100m but tried 320m i think it was 1" group.. twice so!!!!!
    Pissed round abit but they wont tighten in close wuth 06 but thats a range queen now.. to heavy for huntin. Dunno what ibwas thinkin wen i built it????
    My .260 barrel shoots them roughly the same. But I havent mucked around much with them due to time. I will see how they go further out. Interesting

This topic is a bit past where my technical understanding of reloading ends but I’ll ask my questions anyway.

Puffin, what rifle are you shooting? Is there any horizontal loading on the action / barrel? Did the barrel heat / cool between groups? What distance was that example sheet shot at? I ask because of the horizontal movement in the groups you have shown is interesting. Even the extent of the vertical variation is interesting in a 280AI, I would have thought that was quite a bit of vertical spread over 6 grains of extra powder.

Did you “call” any of those flyers?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Old captain clever clogs here cant even get close to an accuracy node over the last few days. Being trying to find a load with 105 Amax that goes better than 2" in the 243. Fast or slow long or short its all mediocre.
    New powder me thinks cause this one don't wanna shoot.
    The kicker is factory 95g SST shoots bug holes.
    Reloading is like a woman. Love hate relationship!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Old captain clever clogs here cant even get close to an accuracy node over the last few days. Being trying to find a load with 105 Amax that goes better than 2" in the 243. Fast or slow long or short its all mediocre.
    At least you know it can shoot. Sing out if ya want samples of powder. I got all sorts.
    I think I even have a selection of powders that generally function in sissy calibres Ha Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!

Is it a standard factory 243 ?

Have you got enough twist ?

Its spent so much time on the courier its probably just a little travel sick. You want some 105 vlds to try
    tui_man2 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

Noones got as much twist as you buddy!!!
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Its spent so much time on the courier its probably just a little travel sick. You want some 105 vlds to try
    I think it almost has a West Coast passport.
    I still have a few 105 VLDs and they too shot like shit.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

1:8 so I guess so. 243AI but run out if room with 2217 @ 50.5g. Good pace but still a full choke shotgun.
    I've looked at the Hornady factory SST load and it looks like Win760 with 43.0g of what ever it is and a big jump.
    Must say I was impressed with the Hornady load. Very consistent in weight and OAL.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

How hard have you pushed them? mine was average till the load got warmish and its a pretty narrow band. Twice fired brass made a difference as well, my fire forming load may not have had enough pressure though they looked ok.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    How hard have you pushed them? mine was average till the load got warmish and its a pretty narrow band. Twice fired brass made a difference as well, my fire forming load may not have had enough pressure though they looked ok.
    Can't go harder as the load is compressed at 50.5g 2217. Was getting 3150s there.

It really is a problem child that one. Magnum primer?