Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Best brass?

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I use lapua
    However I have shot 5 times plus reloaded with Federal factory brass at 2900+ in the 120gr 6.5
    Never had any issues.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Name:  DSC_1876.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  723.1 KBName:  DSC_1875.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  456.2 KB

Opted for no crimp, they aint falling out anytime soon!

Shame its started raining now I have a local range and finally got some reloads... O well its Canterbury will have stoped raining by morning
    dogmatix likes this.

R93
    I don't even crimp for my AR and would never bother for a bolt gun as there should be no need.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Bit of damage to theamax.. Wrong collet in the die but I dont think i'm guna worry brass is never going to be perfect unless i buy a tumbler anyway

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Bit of damage to theamax.. Wrong collet in the die but I dont think i'm guna worry brass is never going to be perfect unless i buy a tumbler anyway
    There are a couple of things you can do to minimise that damage to the ogive on the amax

inside chamfer the neck of the brass

Clean and lube the inside of the neck

Lube the projectile

Seat the projectile into the brass very slowly

If the damage is caused at the very end of the seating process due to over compressing the powder, then you can Neck size the brass only to increase its capacity by half a grain.

All these techniques used at the same time can minimise the problem, if you deem it unsatisfactory.
    puku likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Cheers for that, think I left the lube on the inside of the neck for a bit long, will try cha,fer and lube projectile next time. Will see how long the brass lasts, may have to go looking for some lapua in a month or two

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Attachment 49761Attachment 49762

Opted for no crimp, they aint falling out anytime soon!

Shame its started raining now I have a local range and finally got some reloads... O well its Canterbury will have stoped raining by morning
    Those pills look like they're seated really deep. How did you chose the OAL?
    sambnz likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Loaded to MAG length 2.3 inch, paperwork with dies said max oal 2.26 seemed really short

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Loaded to MAG length 2.3 inch, paperwork with dies said max oal 2.26 seemed really short
    If it works it works. Just looks short in pics
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Felt short putting them in, 24.5 grains of 2206h was pretty compressed in there. Will run these through when it stops raining and see how they go

Caretaker
    Do you mind me asking what is your just touch overall length ?

Didnt check

Caretaker

Best brass?

Some rifles (like A bolts and X bolts) with a short lead/throat treat Amax's gently when they jump to the lands but most rifles don't.

Often best accuracy can be found with the softer J4 jacketed projectiles (like Berger's/ Bob Cautericio's/Amax's) within 5 thou of a just touch length, so 5 thou jump, just touch or 5 thou jamb into the rifling lands.

Although at times magazine fed ammo is more desirable than best accuracy.

Using a longer OAL with your 223 and 75g Amax's allows you to use more powder capacity as well.

Adi 2208 will most likely give them the healthiest shove at a just touch length, and at mag fit length 2208 will probably just equal 2206 H velocities .

75 g Amax's wouldn't be my first choice in your 16 inch barrelled 223, i would use Sierra Game kings ( part no 1365) and drive them hard with up to 27g of 2208 or 26g of 2206 if you have a long OAL with mag fit ammo, they are an extremely effective projectile in the 233, especially within the velocity limitations of a 16 inch barrel.

Few things I will have to change if i'm really going to get serious, just started going done the reloading rabbithole.... Can see its deep qnd expensive!

Caretaker
    Few things I will have to change if i'm really going to get serious, just started going done the reloading rabbithole.... Can see its deep qnd expensive!
    How many calibre's are you going to reload for