Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Best load for 270

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Sounds like you don't understand projectile construction and intended application. Just like the guys I was talking about.
    Take a look on some ammunition packets (Winchester). They give little pictures of what they recommend that load for. Reasonably sound advice. Which if people took note of there would a lot less debate about projectile performance, or Attachment 254131lack of.
    Yup I sure the deer read the packets...

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    I’ve loaded for quite a few .270 barrels. At 53-54 gns my exp is your only getting 2850-2900 with a 130 if it has a long throat and 22 inch tube.

If the same barrel you need 62-63 gns of 2213 to crack 3000 fps and 55-56 of 2209.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, Ive always used 24 inch barrels in 270. Its where you get the best from them. My current one is getting 3130 with 54gr which im happy with.

TLB
    Geez there is a lot of misinformation out there.
    People must hear of the time a mate of their mates brother's uncle lost one with a 130gr sst, wasn't shot placement at all, bloody thing blew up
    They work fine, so do most 130gr.

As for barrel length were the Duley's not getting over 2900fps with an 18" barrel and 145gr eldx. Without crunching the numbers that will probably take you to 700 odd yards energy wise.
    Shorter barrel is fine, just move with the times and use a modern powders and if you still aren't achieving velocity use a softer projectile. That goes for any caliber.

Everything is not equal though. I know enough about reloading to know I will struggle to get the results Duleys do. Why? Because like most Im not in a position to have all the knowledge and equipment to the same quality as them. I also dont have the preparedness to get and use the powders they are consistently.
    Will that 18 inch barrel achieve the same with factory loads?
    Simplicity is an underrated avenue when everyone wants to compare the spectacular.

This is simplicity, a 24 inch barrelled 270 with a time worn load of 4350 or 4831-In An AR powder thats the same or equivalent, that you can reliably get either through a shop or trade me or here, because its common. Has been used to get the required velocities for probably close to 60-80 years and there is plenty of data for. That I can load without having to guess or go too close to over pressure and finds load that will work with little fuss.
    shananah and turtleSO like this.

I believe they were using due to sponsorship criteria the 145grn superpreformance factory load.... and hands down the .270 was the BEST option with those criteria LMFAO...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Superformance dosent do the 145 as far as I know. It could be precision hunter, but thats the performance levels they advertise out of a 24 inch barrel. SO is it going to be common to achieve such results? Or once again exceptional/spectacular?
    Micky Duck likes this.

NZ Hunter load.

Norma brass
    Fed 210 primer
    Hodgdon Superformance
    57-58gr
    145eldx 2900-2950fps
    18” barrel
    DPT Mk2
    BRADS, TLB, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rimubay View Post
    NZ Hunter load.

Norma brass
    Fed 210 primer
    Hodgdon Superformance
    57-58gr
    145eldx 2900-2950fps
    18” barrel
    DPT Mk2
    Thats an interesting load and im thinking of working up a load for myself with that projectile. So might just try get some superformance and see how it gos in a 24 inch barrel. If its suitable.

I’ve move to 24 inch tubes also. Totally agree with your comments re common powders. If I want to hot rod Rl 26 or 22 will drive 140 and 150 gn pills at 3000 or a bit better.
    However there will be no more Alliant powder shipments so good to have good loads with adi powders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    whanahuia likes this.

Don't think anyone's mentioned W760 or Staball 6.5 yet

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Yup I sure the deer read the packets...
    Well if they do, they are a lot smarter than some people.
    BRADS, csmiffy and shananah like this.
    Overkill is still dead.