Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Demise of the 7mm Rem Mag

Haha.
    You 223 guys have whipped the vegans for persistence and are now sounding like the godbothers who turn up on the doorstep and don't take hints that their time would be better spent on someone else's doorstep.
    Overkill is still dead.

Like an Aa meeting.
    Hey my names Bob and I have a 223
    7mmwsm, Micky Duck, r87mm and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Like an Aa meeting.
    Hey my names Bob and I have a 223
    Oh God I have no hope, I own a .223 a 6.5 creedmoor and a 7mm Rem Mag.

I Obviously need to sell off the lot and buy PRC,s and RUM,s etc (if I believe in social media and shooting forums)
    Barry the hunter and Juicy like this.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

I have a 223. Except it's only a slow twist. Does that make me a vegetarian, not a vegan
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I do hope you posted that as a joke yes yes you did because comparing a .223 to a 7mm rem mag is like comparing a VW Beatle to a Holden Commodore SS V8 - absolutely no comparison
    The 7mm Rem Mag ought to be like the SS Commodore V8

Out of production

Name:  20240817_135025 (1).jpg
Views: 212
Size:  3.30 MB

Hope not, I won't be changing anytime soon.

Plenty of room in the magazine to hang them out long/heavy.

Shooting the 162s over 2900fps from a slightly shorter than factory barrel. Plenty of spice, heck 3000 fps with something heavier would kick more than a rodeo bronc
    7mm Rem Mag, 25/08 IMP and TimC like this.

Owwwwwww pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    After reading through Duleys latest three articles on 7 PRC, and once Tikka, Sako etc bring out this caliber in factory offering, would anyone bother with the rem mag anymore? No belt, no more over crowding of case capacity with deep seated projectiles to fit magazines, decent twist rate, good speeds in a shorter 20” barrel, chuck out a 190 grainer doing 3000 fps+ in a longer barrel etc

Thoughts?
    Greetings @McNotty,
    All that you say is true and they are my sentiments exactly. Not everyone buys a rifle based on a clear assessment of its attributes though and the 7mm Rem Mag does have name recognition and a 60 plus year head start. The .308 is surely a better cartridge for most than the .303, more so when you consider the rifles. The .308 precedes the 7mm RM but has it wiped out all the .303 rifles? Regarding the VW Holden comparison at least VW still manufactures cars while Holden is gone forever.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    I have a 223. Except it's only a slow twist. Does that make me a vegetarian, not a vegan
    Vegetarian but you have cheat days on bacon
    Micky Duck, No.3 and Brad S like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Well it's clearly irresponsible and unethical to be using an obsolete caliber like that

Shame on you !
    Spoken by an expert in the field.
    akaroa1 and Micky Duck like this.

Stop with the headstamps.

180 ELD-M smashed the gates down a while ago, but few had rifles with enough twist in the tube to take advantage.

If you build out a 24" 7mm08 with a 3" mag box, it'll make 2600 with the 180ELDM and a case full of the right powder (Superformance, Staball 6.5 or RL-16).

The big magnums ( 7RM, 7PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm Remington Ultra Mag) with 26" tubes will need anywhere between 20-30 grains more of the precious powder (which Hornady themselves admit to having a hard time finding) to break the 3,000 fps mark with the same bullet.

Unless you are shooting past 1.5km at sea level on the regular, you don't need a rifle-bullet combo that aggressive to stay above transonic.

Biggest advantage of the 7PRC is factory ammo with decent bullets. But they could have played smart and done a 7mm Creedmoor or 6.5-7PRCW as a factory offering... the latter is seeing a lot of attention in F-open

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    If I was buying new....yup prc, but nothing wrong with the rem mag....it's a long way off obsolete
    Depends who does the barrel and chamber job, the old 1:9 1/2" twist Sako/Tikka's and SAAMI dimensions are a long way off optimal.

ADG 7 Rem Mag brass is near enough the same price as 7SAUM/7PRC/6.5-7prcw

Would be mental to start a new rifle build with 7 Rem Mag unless the goal was to shoot dismal, over-priced factory ammo that is designed to fit in semi-auto's.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I do hope you posted that as a joke yes yes you did because comparing a .223 to a 7mm rem mag is like comparing a VW Beatle to a Holden Commodore SS V8 - absolutely no comparison
    A VW bug with the engine swapped would smoke the heavy holden... same thing happens when you chamber a 223 with modern, heavy bullets in mind.

Time will tell. The wsm's were meant to end the old magnums. they didnt. In fact id say the PRC's will end the wsm's before they do the Old mags. I personally didnt overly like the 7mm rem mag when I had one. mainly feed issue based in the rifle I had. But it worked. It was never super popular unless you were after something a little extra.
    I mean if I had to pick up either a 223 or a 7mm Mg, it would be the 7mm everyday.

Ive seen a couple of people lately who bought the PRC and did the choppy choppy thing and ended up disappointed with a powder burning 7x57.

Its going to depend on if you reload or not to get the best out of these things.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    The 7mm Rem Mag ought to be like the SS Commodore V8

Out of production
    never classics dont go away they simply increase in value as are the SS commodores ( good ones ) in saying that I would probably go 300WSM before a 7mmrem mag