Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Digital reloading scale

I bought a Frankfort arsenal digi scale after a review on here. put decent batteries in it and have been happy for what it cost. I double check against the ohous beam scales when being super fussy and I might add or subtract a kernel of 2213 on the beam scales to fine tune but the little digi scales are pretty good imo.
    having said that I don't have top dollar alpha gear to compare against.
    seems to work though for me. the 7mm WSM shoots one ragged hole when I do my part. ( three shot group, which as we have established means diddly squat )

People have been reporting they have good luck with the G&G JJ100B with decent accuracy (0.001g) and response speed. I had one coming soon.

Picture shows the OpenTrickler on A&D FX120i and G&G JJ223BF (which isn't suitable for automatic trickling purpose for being too slow for the response over serial).
    Name:  IMG_4510.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  2.94 MB
    Bagheera and STC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    My experience is that the electronic scales in the RCBS chargemaster combo are stable enough.
    I test a small hex nut that weighs 44.3 gr about every 20 powder throws. Perhaps 1 in 5 times it will weigh at 44.4 gr.
    This is over about 5000 rounds loaded and 10+ years.
    On range testing at 100m with 2 different rifles Ive found the mpi stable over ranges of +\- o.2 gr at least so for hunting this is good enough. Im not shooting long range target, where small velocity variations (ES) can be of interest.
    Ive recently got a Frankford Arsenal nranded $100 digital scale and it also seems stable in my environment but I havent used it much yet.
    So how do you know this hex nut weighs 44.3 grains, how many sets of scales have you weighed it on?
    I have three sets of scales (Lyman auto, Hornady beam, and Frankfort) and they all give different weights.
    The Frankfort has never been what I would consider suitable for fine tuning, but is handy for weighing finished rounds etc.
    STC likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    People have been reporting they have good luck with the G&G JJ100B with decent accuracy (0.001g) and response speed. I had one coming soon.

Picture shows the OpenTrickler on A&D FX120i and G&G JJ223BF (which isn't suitable for automatic trickling purpose for being too slow for the response over serial).
    Attachment 254118
    awesome setup!

where/how did you get the gg?
    eamars likes this.

Some of you get too wound up about your scales I reckon. You’re working up your own individual loads so as long as they repeatedly weigh the same weight consistently that you’ve settled on that’s good enough for most people apart from those precision shooters who use setups that rule out all human and mechanical error, which most don’t. Settle on a load weight, make a reference weight, check scale, load ammo, go shoot stuff, sleep easy at night.
    Just remember the following:
    Accuracy refers to how close measurements are to the true or accepted value. It’s the degree to which the result of a measurement reflects the actual value of the quantity being measured. Accuracy reflects the absence of error, both systematic and observational, in your measurement system.
    Precision, on the other hand, is about the repeatability or consistency of measurements. It answers the question, “how close are measurements to each other?” Precision can exist without true accuracy; you can have measurements that are very consistent but still far from the known or accepted value.
    Resolution in metrology equipment dictates the smallest change in a physical quantity that a measurement system can detect. It plays a pivotal role in determining both precision and accuracy, as higher resolution allows for finer distinctions in measurements
    This will wind a few of you up but not worried. My system works well enough for my needs, others may find different. Have at it.
    Oldbloke, STC and 6mm08 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    awesome setup!

where/how did you get the gg?
    Imported from China. Unfortunately there is no distributor in NZ.
    STC likes this.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    Imported from China. Unfortunately there is no distributor in NZ.
    thanks! might I ask where from china? aliexpress seems to have them, but are they genuine? or did you contact a seller directly?

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    thanks! might I ask where from china? aliexpress seems to have them, but are they genuine? or did you contact a seller directly?
    I bought from Taobao (which is the aliexpress for chinese) and forwarded to NZ. Sorry I can't comment on whether they are genuine or not. But I guess in most cases they are.
    STC likes this.

Bought a RCBS Range 2000 a while ago and it is awesome. Highly recommend it.

Ill be upgrading to A&D.
    6mm08 likes this.

I think the statement made about us getting hung up on digital scales and accuracy is valid.
    As modern hi end scales that can repeatedly come within .02 of a grain, we think we must have that level of accuracy to be
    "Good" I don't believe that it is necessary for most reloaders. And they are better served by a good beam and thrower.
    That said a hi end scales and electronic thrower are invaluable for volume reloading and long distance shooting.
    I was firmly in the beam scale corner for a long time but as my shooting went in a different direction so did my need for different gear.
    I now run a AnD with a Super Trickler
    Oldbloke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I think the statement made about us getting hung up on digital scales and accuracy is valid.
    As modern hi end scales that can repeatedly come within .02 of a grain, we think we must have that level of accuracy to be
    "Good" I don't believe that it is necessary for most reloaders. And they are better served by a good beam and thrower.
    That said a hi end scales and electronic thrower are invaluable for volume reloading and long distance shooting.
    I was firmly in the beam scale corner for a long time but as my shooting went in a different direction so did my need for different gear.
    I now run a AnD with a Super Trickler
    Good choice
    When hunting think safety first

To much over thinking going on in this thread.
    I doubt any body posting on here is a .1 grain shooter.
    Virgil from the Houston warehouse has proven that neck tension is way more a factor than the weight of powder charge for precision shooting.
    For me an amp annealer is a way better option to spend my money on than a one kernel accuracy scale.
    I use a poxy old hornady auto charge and shot two of my rifles this afternoon.
    Both shot enlarged holes at 100m.
    My rifles shoot better than I can.
    Be Carefull where you spend your money as I think range time is the most valuable place to get the best out of your weapon systems to be able to figure out what makes an accurate shooter/rifle configuration.

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk
    woods223, m101a1 and Oldbloke like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Big secret here is consistency. The proverb of “A man who owns a watch knows the time, he who owns two watches is confused” holds water here. If the scales return consistently to zero. You can safely bet that you are getting consistent charges. Two sets of consistent scales though can give different readings. I too have gone down the rabbit hole of comparing charges across various scales and getting different results. Oddly enough, the wee cheap Lee scales are very consistent however take a bloody age to settle. What I have found is that when using beam scales parallax plays a big part, if you don’t hold your eye at exactly the same level each time that will throw you out .1 of a grain. I took to setting up a web-cam focused on the index, it gave a zoomed in view of how close I was and worked brilliantly. At the end of the day though a good resilient load will absorb any minor variances in charge with no real noticeable effect. To that end, I use a charge master with excellent results. I’ll throw short .1 of a grain and tweezer in the remainder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love vegans.. They taste great!

Yep, agree with that comment - its the repeatability that concerns us and that the number they produce on the first weigh is the same on the last weigh cycle. It's only if you have a calibrated scientific test mass that you know if they are out or wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Yep, agree with that comment - its the repeatability that concerns us and that the number they produce on the first weigh is the same on the last weigh cycle. It's only if you have a calibrated scientific test mass that you know if they are out or wrong...
    A cheap F2 class weight would do the job if you don't care about the absolute accuracy (for which you normally don't for reloading on the same scale you used for load dev). As long as the weight you loaded each time is consistent you will get the repeatability for the load.