Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Fl sizer not sizing the neck?

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I think Lee advise against annealing. Can lead to collapsed necks on the collet die.
    I looked up the instructions and Lee talk about the possibility of excessively annealed cases collapsing in the shoulder but do not advise against annealing. The problem with hard necks. in the collet die, is the additional spring back leaves the necks too large to grip the projectile firmly.
    GPM.
    Last edited by grandpamac; 29-06-2024 at 05:38 PM.

Ahh yes �� my recall was hazy good that you still have the instructions

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    OK, the expander ball on the 303 FL die is 0.3095, the inside of the case mouth of the offending case is 0.3105 and the outside of the mouth is about 0.336".
    Greetings,
    Out of interest I ran a scrap case into my old Lyman .303 FL sizing die with the the expander assembly removed. The outside dia of the neck measured about .329" compared to yours at 0.336". It is pretty clear that your FL die is the problem and the neck is not being sized enough.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Another thought. You measured the inside of the neck at .3105" from memory. It is likely that only the mouth of the case is that size and the balance of the neck is larger. Seating a projectile would meet light resistance but would be loose in the neck as you discovered.
    Last edited by grandpamac; 30-06-2024 at 12:43 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    Out of interest I ran a scrap case into my old Lyman .303 FL sizing die with the the expander assembly removed. The outside dia of the neck measured about .329" compared to yours at 0.336". It is pretty clear that your FL die is the problem and the neck is not being sized enough.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Another thought. You measured the inside of the neck at .3105" from memory. It is likely that only the mouth of the case is that size and the balance of the neck is larger. Seating a projectile would meet light resistance but would be loose in the neck as you discovered.
    Yes, the only tight part of the neck is the first half mil or so back from the mouth, it's finger tight if that part is holding the sides of the bullet, but if I seat it to the cannelure it pops into the cannelure and is completely loose.

contact LEE directly....they are a good firm thats been around for a long time...Ive got two sets of RGB dies and really do rate them highly .22-25and 222 so they arent all craphola.... maybe as has been suggested yours just have wrong diamentions (the euro vs yank thing perhaps?) Lee might just stump up and send you new set with tighter neck so your cases are being shrunk down enough.its got to be worth a crack Nigel.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters