Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: how little reworking of the brass while reloading is necessary

Suppose the answer is in the word... sizing.

The calibers are 708 and 7RM I think the crimping is doing a form of neck size without the stretch then close step I usually do

thinking about it objectively with the brass bieng the seal for the chamber if the reload chambers it’s just overall less stressful on the brass and it should fit”better”

This isn’t my approach but it’s hard to knock his results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All ways open to new thinking, will have a play. I pretty much like, light neck tension so just enough to grip, will check concentricity & how it shoots. Don't have a chrony, but thats another factor worth thinking about.

Funny thing is black powder n cast did it that way years ago n I'm told some still do.its how shotgun is reloaded pretty much too.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Let the results dictate your methodology I reckon.
    EC says not to do it but he's not shooting the same type of rifle as you. Maybe a different bolt construction that doesn't pull to the side with the ejector button. Neck sizing probably helps in that circumstance.

But the dreaded stuck round might not happen to you, worse if it happens to somebody you're meant to be helping...

I'm still after one of those case comparators that you put a whole loaded round into. Seems like a good idea

Yea let the target tell the story of whats going on. Its hard to argue with one..

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    I'm still after one of those case comparators that you put a whole loaded round into. Seems like a good idea
    You can get away with an empty pistol cartridge.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

I just running another 100 Hornet case across the Lyman case prep machine, and think about whether I would risk not doing case prep as per the Bible??
    Yeah but nah.
    The milk bottle shape of the Hornet stretches with each firing, so case trimming is a MUST! By explanation, trim length is 1.393, max is 1.403. Some I have acquired measured 1.422!! Go figure how that fitted? Would I put an over length case in my rifle? HELL NO!
    But the thing that most concerns me about not following approved process, is the flash hole. I've seen flash holes so blocked with crap that they are 1mm or less in diameter. The handheld Lyman reamer takes the hole out to 2mm. How can you get consistent ignition if the flash hole is gooked up? Flash hole cleaning is a MUST at the bench.
    The other thing I read about flash holes is they are either drilled or punched. Either leaves rough detritus around the inside of the hole. I've cleaned every flash hole of every round I've loaded. Sometimes, on the inside I can feel the tool riding over a "lump!" Once the lump is dislodged, the reamer rotates smoothly. I reckon that lump is about the same volume as a grain of 2207. On a small capacity case like Hornet, that might have some effect on consistent performance?
    "Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it!" Breaker Morant

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Shields View Post
    I just running another 100 Hornet case across the Lyman case prep machine, and think about whether I would risk not doing case prep as per the Bible??
    Yeah but nah.
    The milk bottle shape of the Hornet stretches with each firing, so case trimming is a MUST! By explanation, trim length is 1.393, max is 1.403. Some I have acquired measured 1.422!! Go figure how that fitted? Would I put an over length case in my rifle? HELL NO!
    But the thing that most concerns me about not following approved process, is the flash hole. I've seen flash holes so blocked with crap that they are 1mm or less in diameter. The handheld Lyman reamer takes the hole out to 2mm. How can you get consistent ignition if the flash hole is gooked up? Flash hole cleaning is a MUST at the bench.
    The other thing I read about flash holes is they are either drilled or punched. Either leaves rough detritus around the inside of the hole. I've cleaned every flash hole of every round I've loaded. Sometimes, on the inside I can feel the tool riding over a "lump!" Once the lump is dislodged, the reamer rotates smoothly. I reckon that lump is about the same volume as a grain of 2207. On a small capacity case like Hornet, that might have some effect on consistent performance?
    I'm curious.
    Many years ago I hankered for a Hornet (great round by the way) but for various reasons including finances it never happened. And sadly I missed out on my mates 222 a few years later because he shot himself with it. Over a woman would you believe.

Soooo, it all went on the back burner.

A few years ago I bought a budget priced 223 and never looked back, great versatile round for my purpose. very accurate too. I have developed thee different loads for it. All though 90% of use is just one load.

Back on track. With all the issues I hear about with loading the little Hornet, above being some of the examples I've heard along with a few others IIRC what is the attraction?

Why not a 222 for example? It could easily be loaded to similar ballistics to the Hornet if so wished.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.

Hey @Oldbloke you are in the same time zone as my daughter, but here it's after midnight and way too late to start on that very, very long story. Short answer, it's my Uncle Steve's fault. He filled my teenage head full of stories of his culler mates shooting deer with 222 Remington. He also owned a Brno twin trigger 22 Hornet, which I was in awe of. With that Hornet he dispatched the biggest pig ever shot in the region, so the legend goes. The boar was in the urapa and the local maori wouldn't shoot it on tapu ground. He shot it through the ear. It took me almost 50 years to buy a 222, then another year to buy a Hornet. Both are Weihrauch HW60J or CH66J ( new model designation). I've shot a fallow with the 222, but shooting a deer with the 22 Hornet was the goal for this roar. I haven't done that yet, but when I do the circle will be complete, and I'll send photos to my Uncle.
    There is another more practical reason for owning a 22 Hornet, (and 222 Remington) but that is another story for another day.
    Cheers, Hugh
    "Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it!" Breaker Morant

@Hugh Shields

I'm in Victoria, 2 hours behind you.

And you gotta tell us the story.