Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lee Loadmaster Restoration Project

Looks good Pete. I want one for .223. Except I don't own a 223.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

I've thought about buying one specifically for .223

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I've thought about buying one specifically for .223
    Having got one Im un-impressed, I only paid $200 odd so Im not so disappointed, its usable, just about. The indexing mechanism is the dodgy bit to say the least, needing frequent adjustment. It appears to be down to the upper pin clearance on the activating arm being too sloppy that allows significant movement of the pin back and forth, enough to stop the indexing after a bit, like 30 rounds or so and it needs re-adjusting, so Lee's reputation for at times awful build quality shines through. Recommendation - I wouldnt buy one again, I certianly wouldnt pay $530NZ as the list price plus a die set when I think the Dillion 550b is $799 incl a die set.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Having got one Im un-impressed, I only paid $200 odd so Im not so disappointed, its usable, just about. The indexing mechanism is the dodgy bit to say the least, needing frequent adjustment. It appears to be down to the upper pin clearance on the activating arm being too sloppy that allows significant movement of the pin back and forth, enough to stop the indexing after a bit, like 30 rounds or so and it needs re-adjusting, so Lee's reputation for at times awful build quality shines through. Recommendation - I wouldnt buy one again, I certianly wouldnt pay $530NZ as the list price plus a die set when I think the Dillion 550b is $799 incl a die set.
    Steven

Loadmasters are a complex press and can be a bit finiky to set up but my experience is once set correctly they will function reliably for many thousands of rounds.

I've not had any issues like this.

Check your main ram bolt is tight as this can allow the indexing to move if it's not tight enough.

I have found that you must also stroke the press to a positive stop at both the top and bottom of each stroke for reliable indexing.

These are not the first Loadmasters I have owned.
    The previous ones I had loaded thousands of pistol rounds without adjustment.

If your thinking of selling I'd be keen for another one to dedicate to one calibre.

Cheers
    Pete

I'm looking for a cheap one first P38! I'm still using the Lee Anniversary Kit, including the scales! I just don't get paid enough

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Steven

Loadmasters are a complex press and can be a bit finiky to set up but my experience is once set correctly they will function reliably for many thousands of rounds.

I've not had any issues like this.

Check your main ram bolt is tight as this can allow the indexing to move if it's not tight enough.

I have found that you must also stroke the press to a positive stop at both the top and bottom of each stroke for reliable indexing.

These are not the first Loadmasters I have owned.
    The previous ones I had loaded thousands of pistol rounds without adjustment.

If your thinking of selling I'd be keen for another one to dedicate to one calibre.

Cheers
    Pete
    Yeah I suspect its mostly excessive clearance of the top bearing, I can see the assembly move side to side when I operate it, and yes Ive checked various bolts are tight.

The carrier also seems to work lose /move so Im going to loctite the carrier to the ram with some low or medium grade loctite, I dare not tighten the ram bolt anymore than I have. Next I might try shimming the top bearing to stop the sideways movement.

Finally I see the shell plate nut works lose a little after about 30~100 rounds. It seems I cant tighten the knurled nut too tight as the press jams up somehow and wont index. If I leave it too lose it undoes and once that happens the index arms just flops about. I think its just a stacking of issues, that wouldnt matter if the top bearing wasnt moving about so much, a shim there might fix it fine.

What I have seen is ppl who like them and ppl who think they are awful. Fairly sure its down to luck on getting a good one or the ability and inclination to sort out whatevers wrong, a new item shouldnt be this bad, but then it is american made.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I'm looking for a cheap one first P38! I'm still using the Lee Anniversary Kit, including the scales! I just don't get paid enough
    I actually prefer this....for the money its a great buy. If you want an upgrade, what about the Lee turret press?