Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: My 7mm PRC is driving me nuts…

Yeah mate it’s irritating

Quote Originally Posted by tibo View Post
    I stopped listening to anything coming from Hornadys mouth a long time ago… especially after measuring 2gn spread in a same batch of branded match ammo. Different powder in same batch of match ammo ect.

I repeated this experiment three time and found the same nod every time for those same charge on a rather large sample
    This was across 63.5 to 64.2gn I do call this a velocity nod…Name:  IMG_9594.jpeg
Views: 272
Size:  238.1 KB

This was across 63.5 to 64.2gn I do call this a velocity nod…Attachment 259076
    100% this no node sample size seating depth does nothing nonsense is getting on my nerves I can confidently tell anybody shooting a 7saum that with a 168gn Berger the velocity node is likly going to be around 2880 multiple rifles multiple barrels multiple reamers that pill likes that speed it’s a good node

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    100% this no node sample size seating depth does nothing nonsense is getting on my nerves I can confidently tell anybody shooting a 7saum that with a 168gn Berger the velocity node is likly going to be around 2880 multiple rifles multiple barrels multiple reamers that pill likes that speed it’s a good node
    Same as 162 amax or eldm at 3030-3050 and in the RUMs at 3200fps

Seen it very specifically since 2002

Anyone saying differently lacks the particular experience.

Name:  IMG_4165.jpeg
Views: 262
Size:  545.3 KB
    dannyb, whanahuia and TimC like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Correct a full case of 2217/67gns=3030xbang=dead deer
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Can it shoot an accurate group at lower velocity? Different batch of pills?

I’ve just had similar experience with a new 7 Saum.
    Feeding from magazine with 2 thou neck tension Id get the odd flyer.
    Single feed the same load and the flyers disappeared. Increased neck tension to 4 thou and can now feed from magazine.
    I assumed under recoil the bullets were hitting the front of the mag box.

Tried 4 different batch of ammo, even bumped into a faulty one, was measuring 0.2835 and half a mil shorter… tracked done some boxes of same batch number as the one that was shooting well. Unfortunately it didn’t solve it.
    I went down to 2800fps during ladder test it didn’t group well and sd were on the piss. If I have to go below that in terms of speed to make it work I’d rather flick the factory 7remmag barrel back on.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Wander View Post
    I’ve just had similar experience with a new 7 Saum.
    Feeding from magazine with 2 thou neck tension Id get the odd flyer.
    Single feed the same load and the flyers disappeared. Increased neck tension to 4 thou and can now feed from magazine.
    I assumed under recoil the bullets were hitting the front of the mag box.
    Yep I was told it could be the issue, I tried single feeding. Didn’t work.

@KiwiGreg I’m gona give you a call I think
    7mmsaum and 199p like this.

@KiwiGreg I’m gona give you a call I think
    good luck with that
    Trust the dog.........................................ALWAYS Trust the dog!!

Random question, is the barrel fully secured into the action? No chance of anything moving mechanically? Suppressor is fully locked in, no wiggle at all? Is the barrel fluted, fully stress relieved and everything true in line? Bolt nose fitting the chamber end of the barrel, nothing weird there? Screws all clear of the bolt inside the receiver? Recoil lug not moving in the stock and receiver recess?

Something will be causing this, but finding it can be a mission.

I know sfa about precision shooting but couple of questions. Just food for thought. Does it shoot the two together, THEN the one each way??? Then what?? So if you were to shoot ten in a row doing nothing else would you have a group of four and two groups of three or two together( first two) then sprayed around like a mad woman's shit?? IF it consistently chucks first two together...what happens to subsequent shots if you stop and rum lightly oiled rag,then clean one through the bore???? Eg remove any light fouling before it builds up?? Your right it's still a very dead deer but not what you paid the big $$$ to achieve.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I’m no help here at all, but a we plug for Hardy. I built a 20inch featherweight 7-08 on a sako 85 action with a kroceg stock with a Hardy barrel and it’s a half moa rifle. Wasn’t keen on a Hardy but the guy who built it was and he knows his stuff so I trusted his opinion. I think that’s a pretty good result for a lite weight and I’m happy.
    keengunNic likes this.

This was across 63.5 to 64.2gn I do call this a velocity nod…Attachment 259076
    If you want to approach it scientifically with Brian Litz and Hornardy scientists instead of following the "I believe" crowd then be my guest.

Yes the above data shows you were producing excellent reloads, proven by a solid sample size. You don't say how that sample grouped but if it was good then there is something now wrong with the rifle and or scope, assuming you are following the same load procedure etc. I recently reported on the lose recoil lug in a Sako 75, was likewise hard to diagnose without specific advice, but fixed, it changed the rifle. Could have fired a gazillion groups with it without finding a "node".

I've never experienced a barrel "going bad" but in the way you are describing but I'd say it's1 a possibility. I'd be inclined to try some of your loads in a rifle that is a known shooter, that will eliminate one possibility with a 10-15 shot group. Then look at rifle/scope mechanicals (again) and if it ain't them, then all is left is the barrel.
    Micky Duck, No.3 and 6mm08 like this.