Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Post "3 shot group" load development

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    I was despairing with a new 375 H&H Douglas barrel that I couldn't get to shoot Barnes TSX 300 gn after trying about ten different powders. Usually several powders produce great loads with this bullet. Trying different bullet makes and weights didn't help either. My last ditch attempt was Staball 6.5 with the TSX 300 gn. Wow, it was magic. Suddenly I got great groups and a very consistent load. Happy days.
    There must be more to this, because if all you did was change powder that's bordering on miraculous

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you, amazed too.[/QUOTE]
    @Rated M for Magnum
    It was just like a miracle. I almost couldn't believe it but it was real. Two and three sessions following, on different days, and the load was just as good. There might be more to it as you say but I can't explain it. Ouf of interest I tried a couple of the disappointing loads again. Still rubbish.
    Since Staball 6.5 was the answer I immediately covered myself by buying 4 lbs of the same batch when a member here advertised it for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    There must be more to this, because if all you did was change powder that's bordering on miraculous

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you, amazed too.
    @Rated M for Magnum
    It was just like a miracle. I almost couldn't believe it but it was real. Two and three sessions following, on different days, and the load was just as good. There might be more to it as you say but I can't explain it. Ouf of interest I tried a couple of the disappointing loads again. Still rubbish.
    Since Staball 6.5 was the answer I immediately covered myself by buying 4 lbs of the same batch when a member here advertised it for sale.[/QUOTE]

Nothing beats those jackpot feelings when you're reloading

A lot of the pushback on the 'load dev vs. statistics' issur comes from Boomers hating the fact they effectively wasted thousands (if not tens of thousands in today's economy!) on components over the years. Basically conducting an 'experiment' with little to no awareness or control over all the variables.

Even moreso with the fire-formers
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    A lot of the pushback on the 'load dev vs. statistics' issur comes from Boomers hating the fact they effectively wasted thousands (if not tens of thousands in today's economy!) on components over the years. Basically conducting an 'experiment' with little to no awareness or control over all the variables.

Even moreso with the fire-formers
    Not me..I load em up n go shoot stuff.have never struck a load bad enough to blame for me missing. Did have issues due to not cleaning when using black powder..will revisit this soon.
    75/15/10 black powder matters