Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Primer seating problems

@30.06king That's a nice set of twins! Why twins?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it!" Breaker Morant

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Shields View Post
    @30.06king That's a nice set of twins! Why twins?
    @Hugh Shields
    Not because there is any great advantage. When I decided I wanted one of these I ordered with Reloaders Supplies. No stock in NZ so Reloaders backordered through the NZ agent. Reloaders warned me the agents weren't quick and after almost a year it hadn't arrived and the agents weren't communicative about when it might.
    Meanwhile an American friend found a cheap used one, bought on my behalf and I collected it on a trip over there. Of course about a week after I returned the one ordered here turned up. Reloaders were willing to cancel it but I decided to honour my order and accept it. I set one up for standard brass and the other for magnum cases. It saves just alittle time.
    In other way it also worked out. One day on the new unit the handle shoulder bolt snapped so I was down to using the one servicceable unit. It took a couple of months to obtain replacement bolts. Couldn't find anything locally and again, the NZ agents weren't exactly helpful so I fell back on my USA friend once again. He dealt directly with RCBS who were very good. I got a couple of extra to cover any future bolt failure.
    Hugh Shields likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    On a related note, these days I am using a few White River Energetics primers for some handloads, mostly into Norma brass. As correctly stated the WRE primer cups are deeper than Federals and when seated do sit closer to flush with the face of case heads. I use a RCBS bench mounted priming tool and after the initial insertion turn the case for a second push which most of the time finally seats the primers just below the case head faces. I haven't yet needed to look at reaming any primer pockets.
    Just recently I primed some Sako 243W brass, also with WRE primers, and noted the primers seated deeper than the Norma into the pockets so for the OP if some Sako brass could be tried it might offer a solution ...?? I'm sure a member here wouldn't mind offering a couple of cases to be tried.
    And, I'm not absolutely sure of this but I might also have found the WRE seating deeper in some Remington .270W brass as well. Sorry, I can't remember clearly but it may be worth trying some anyway.

Attachment 255888
    Nice set up bro.
    30.06king likes this.

If you are priming on a press (even on some hand primers) using shell holders to hold shells, not all shell holders are created equal.
    Micky Duck likes this.