Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Read if you have Hornady Camlock Bullet Puller

Big_Les
    I am following this comms .....
    Why is it that people feel the need to tell me that such n such projectiles are pulled ?
    Is there real evidence that pulled pills don't fly straight ? I notice occasionally a grip mark , or maybe a light scuff , but i have never seen one land sideways or do anything otherthan i ,d expect in a normal group ? some pills north , west , east and south . Some pills touching , but nothing that leads me to think ' yep that 2 inch flyer to the left " that ll be that pulled pill for sure "
    or am i missing something ?
    les

303 will do that with factory loads
    shananah likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

The pliers thing might be OK for longer bullets that aren't crimped (and I have done it) but on anything with a crimp, sealed or softer jacketed the pliers will write the pills off. The collets have more surface area to grip the bullet shank and more even pressure around the pill. I've used my RCBS one to pull some that just would not move any other way including pressing the pill deeper (just moved the whole neck and shoulder back).

On the other hand, the pliers are an option for some pills where you don't have any exposed parallel shank to grab with the collet.
    6x47 and Jhon like this.

tight bullets?

For pulling military loads like 7.62x51 or x39, First use you seating die to push the projectile down a few thou to break the seal. Then you won't need to use as much force on the cam. That plunger looked like it had been well overloaded.
    m101a1 likes this.

I accidentally crimped some cast bullet loads a while back.
    Neither those electrical crimper nor my RCBS collet type will pull them.

Sooo, I'm just shooting them.

Don't forget, minor damage to bullets is quickly negated by being jammed down a barrel at about 2700fps
    shananah likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    I accidentally crimped some cast bullet loads a while back.
    Neither those electrical crimper nor my RCBS collet type will pull them.

Sooo, I'm just shooting them.

Don't forget, minor damage to bullets is quickly negated by being jammed down a barrel at about 2700fps
    Yup, been there, done that. And when you can't for some reason shoot them that's when you get the kinetic hammer puller out...
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Have one too - done a fair bit of work - I've found that the handle cam lobes wear or rather distort where it interfaces with said concave bearing surface... flaring the material out - cleaned up the razor sharp edges - still works though now more attentive to greased surfaces to help the wearing... Good on Reloaders and Hornady..
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Yup, been there, done that. And when you can't for some reason shoot them that's when you get the kinetic hammer puller out...
    I had a huge selection of bullets given to me by a dude who had tried to make up a bullet board for the wall.
    I decided to chuck them all but also decided to put the lot through a $20 chinese kinetic hammer. Several types of milcrimp rounds
    were in there too. They all came out in the end. I then made a big pile of powder and made a big VOOOMBF! just for laughs.