Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Reloading 22 Hornet (The Original) – Optimal Canada Goose Load

Don't forget to share how that goes.
    Micky Duck and Hugh Shields like this.

That's another (almost) 110 rounds of Hornet ready to go.
    Had a couple of technical issues tonight.
    First these 45grn HP projectiles came to me in an unmarked bag, so I have no idea on BC or COAL. They measure similar to the 45grn BEE so I choose 1.655 COAL.
    Then I noticed that I was getting wildly varing lengths: 1.665, 1.600, 1.500.
    So I measured all the projectile lengths. There seemed to be two distinct batches around, 0.518 - 0.522 & 0.510 - 0.512.
    So I loaded the long ones to 1.665. Then did a second batch of shorter projectiles @ 1.660. But even the some of the second lot came out at 1.510! I'm.going to pull those and try again tomorrow....
    What's your thoughts on what the heck is going on? And how many inches different will point of impact be at 50 metres?

Name:  20240530_233533.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  4.44 MB

Name:  20240530_233551.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  3.77 MB

Name:  20240530_212108.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  2.22 MB

Name:  20240530_212246.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  2.14 MB

Pays to check the pills made for hornet some were .224 and some were .223
    Hugh Shields likes this.

If the weights the same and so is the powder charge, I'd expect the same poi. Assuming both are the same diameter, blips comment is a valid one and that would cause variations for sure

At 50 they will still be minute of goose.
    Hugh Shields likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Micky Duck "Minute of goose!!!!" Hilarious �� �� ROFL!!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Those 45 gn pills might actually be Winchester 46 gn pills that are sold specifically for the hornet.

In my hornet they pattern like a shotgun.
    In my above post I should have said 40 gn Nosler Varmegeddon pills.

A tipped dumpy shaped flat base made for the Hornet that shoots and groups very well. Soft as the name implies and cheaper than Ballistic Tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may or may not be the cause of your situation, but some projectiles can have a shape variation where they taper to their pointed (or hollow pointed) tip. Soft point 7.62x39 projectiles was where I discovered this, it affects how far down the 'bowl' of the seating stem descends before it engages with the projectile. So if the engagement is early, it will push further, if it engages 10 thou later, than the OAL will be different by 10 thou.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks @@longshot I kind of figured that as I was measuring and batch the projectiles. So then I ran the first lot of long ones after 1.665, then turned the micrometer down (say 10 thou) and ran the second batch of shorter projectiles at 1.655. The logic was, too keep the base of the projectile a consistent distance from the head of the case. Which means, in theory the size/ volume of the inside of the case remains constant, so pressure remains constant, so velocity stays constant and hopefully consistently accurate, or consistently in accurate.
    What I don't know is, what affect does shortening the cartridge have on accuracy, given the projectile will be further away from the rifling. Probably not a lot in this calibre, at short range. But probably significant if your were shooting a 338 Lapua at 1000 metres.

"It will still be minute of goose at 50 metres!" Quote of the day @Micky Duck !!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

"what affect does shortening the cartridge have on accuracy, given the projectile will be further away from the rifling."

Personally that's all I would worry about. Keep it consistant if you can. But 0.005" won't matter a rats ars. They are big targets.
    Hugh Shields likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

said it before and will no doubt say it again....if your seating die is contacting the olgive (curvy bit in the front) at same diameter of every projectile...in theory they will be plurry close to same jump to the rifling,reguardless on how deep into the case they are pushed if you dont change the seating die.
    southernman and Oldbloke like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yep that's how i do it Micky, for my Hornet, all seated to same, length depends on projectile profile/shape.
    I have long given up, chasing the last tiny bit of accuracy, with seating depth and small powder adjustments,
    Spent thousands on powder projectiles, chasing .010" Improvement, buying A better barrel to start with, cuts down on a lot of time, getting an accurate load.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Sometimes I'm guilty of overthinking things......I'll need to think about that for a while.....Loading trailer this afternoon with tree trimmings, ti take to my mates burn pile, plenty of time to think about reloading before going rabbit culling at a Equestrian riding school at 5pm. Only 22LR subsonic tonight, the horse don't like the Hornet!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Yep that's how i do it Micky, for my Hornet, all seated to same, length depends on projectile profile/shape.
    I have long given up, chasing the last tiny bit of accuracy, with seating depth and small powder adjustments,
    Spent thousands on powder projectiles, chasing .010" Improvement, buying A better barrel to start with, cuts down on a lot of time, getting an accurate load.
    Yep, some blokes wear out barrels trying achieve a level of accuracy that just isn't required.
    The costs just don't justify it.
    Trave l to range
    Pay range fee
    Bullets
    Powder
    Primers
    Your time
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Horses are a pain in the butt.
    Son was shooting afterhours at his school grounds few years back and coped complaints from the ladies leasing grazing for horses.
    (Some year 12/13 kids had permition to protect the school vegy gardens with 22's).
    Z