Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: A superb article on why "node load deveopment" is toast

Quote Originally Posted by 19Badger View Post
    Yes you can, I've proved it with multiple barrels and rifles, admittedly these rifle will shoot sub 0.300 aggs for 100 rounds at 100/200yds.

Gimp are you going to the Benchrest match at Labour weekend in Nelson?

Thank you but I won't make it to the match in Nelson - I'm committed to shooting a precision rifle match next month and while I am interested to learn more about the nuts and bolts of benchrest, it is largely from an interest perspective rather than practical application - as I am already achieving precision far beyond what I can practically apply in field shooting

However I am keen to make sure I understand how benchrest works - !

As I understand it - focussing on BR for Agg not score -

Within a weight class, shooters shoot 5 relays of 5 shots each at a distance for group size. The average of these group sizes is your "agg". 7 minutes per relay? Presumbly some sort of foulers or sighters permitted?

Is it safe to assume that all shooters are "tuning loads" for their rifles with powder charge and seating depth?

Are most shooters "tuning" during matches - or only some?

It looks like a "winning agg" at 100Y is about 0.3MOA and a "losing agg" is about 0.5MOA - although it is hard to find many results from NZ https://www.deerstalkers.org.nz/reso...g-champs-2024/. Is this about fair?

Does the same person win every match?

What does the total agg over a season or the good life of a barrel look like - not just the winning agg?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Ive mucked around with neck sizing but for hunting the security of knowing every round will fit the chamber is reassuring.
    Yeah I had that happen once a few moons never made that mistake again.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Tahr, Micky Duck and Shamus_ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/rifle-nodes/

For those especially too busy to watch Hornardy podcast #50 or requiring further evidence to lose an entrenched mindset!
    Hey...

The "Your Groups Are Too Small" series really got me thinking and changed my way of load testing and development quite a bit.
    I think it was well worth to watch the two main videos and invest that time.
    Awesome info in it!
    Even after taking into consideration that it is a Hornady marketing show after all!

@Tentman On a completely other note:

Thank you very much indeed, for that very generous offer via mail!
    Awewome...
    Somehow I just can not get my answer through to you.
    Mail delivery error all the time.
    And being a newb here, I can also not find the right button to send you a personal message or mail via the forum.
    Maybe you or someone else can help me with that...
    But again:
    Really cool move and much appreciated!

Cheers
    Ben
    Cam86NZ likes this.

After neck sizing cases I run them through the rifle seems an easy way to avoid a round not chambering...

Mind you I do it when I fl as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_SK View Post
    Hey...

The "Your Groups Are Too Small" series really got me thinking and changed my way of load testing and development quite a bit.
    I think it was well worth to watch the two main videos and invest that time.
    Awesome info in it!
    Even after taking into consideration that it is a Hornady marketing show after all!

@Tentman On a completely other note:

Thank you very much indeed, for that very generous offer via mail!
    Awewome...
    Somehow I just can not get my answer through to you.
    Mail delivery error all the time.
    And being a newb here, I can also not find the right button to send you a personal message or mail via the forum.
    Maybe you or someone else can help me with that...
    But again:
    Really cool move and much appreciated!

Cheers
    Ben
    Your PMs should come on soon, we can do it then.

"Meaningfully different loads" with same components seems to me to be smoke filled debating chamber. I can well recall Mr Litz suggesting seating secant ogive bullets way back and then the devopement if hybrid ogive profiles. I write this simply to imply that the actual position of that component will alter MV and group size and pressure.
    Bell curves exist but the steepness of the sides and the wide or narrow range of distributuon at the peak xemonsgrate differences in the interdependence of load components in any test. Fine tuning a load involves makinf only one change at a time unless your voodoo senses come into play. Eg knowing that increading ffeebore can reduce pressure but reducing case capacity may do the opposite. Then burn rate migjt change bbl harmonics. Ergo, bring in bbl tuners
    It's a never ending story andoad developement and proving is a great sporting recreational activity IMO.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I can't put my hand on it, but somewhere I have a 20-round target which is basically two points of impact with two distinct groups, one of about 13 rounds the other 7. Each group is about an inch, but about 3 inches apart on the diagonal (shot at 100m, single point of aim roughly in the middle of the two points of impact). Ammo was a single packet of quality hunting ammo, .308 cal. Could find no reason to explain it as far as rifle or scope. Rifle was fine as a bush hunting piece, as far as I know it's still doing the job and still set up the same.

Mechanical precision? Or something else?

Perhaps bedding or action screws totque issue. Bbl heating can influence torques if bbl is not fully free floated too. Even a small obsttuction falling into gap betwwrn mag box and inlettong can cause issues. Same if bolt handle comes in contact with a swelling stock.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

A wise man once said to me he picked a load between middle n hot in manual,loaded up rounds and went hunting...not a hell of a lot different to back when we just bought box of whatever was on shelf,fired a couple of shots into a pizza box to check zero and carried on. My days of firing fifteen into paper and five at animals are long over.
    grandpamac likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Thank you but I won't make it to the match in Nelson - I'm committed to shooting a precision rifle match next month and while I am interested to learn more about the nuts and bolts of benchrest, it is largely from an interest perspective rather than practical application - as I am already achieving precision far beyond what I can practically apply in field shooting

However I am keen to make sure I understand how benchrest works - !

As I understand it - focussing on BR for Agg not score -

Within a weight class, shooters shoot 5 relays of 5 shots each at a distance for group size. The average of these group sizes is your "agg". 7 minutes per relay? Presumbly some sort of foulers or sighters permitted?

Correct, but during the 7 minutes they can fire as many sighters as they like this happens quite often when the condition changes

Is it safe to assume that all shooters are "tuning loads" for their rifles with powder charge and seating depth?

Yes this is how everyone tunes their load

Are most shooters "tuning" during matches - or only some?

Yes some change their load during the match

It looks like a "winning agg" at 100Y is about 0.3MOA and a "losing agg" is about 0.5MOA - although it is hard to find many results from NZ https://www.deerstalkers.org.nz/reso...g-champs-2024/. Is this about fair?

It is hard to find results from NZ matches, while NZDA "professes" to support shooting their actions do the opposite. Due to conditions those aggs were larger than some at the North Island Champs. I had this link sent to me recently which shows the regional and national records, but if I go and search for it on the website it doesn't exist as there is no link to it. A winning 2 gun agg can be from 0.1900" to 0.300" but it depends on how successfully the competitor tunes the rifle and judges the condition.
    https://www.deerstalkers.org.nz/what...oting-records/

Does the same person win every match?

No, but some win more than others

What does the total agg over a season or the good life of a barrel look like - not just the winning agg?
    I can't say I've worked that out but conditions play a part in the size of groups and aggregates, North Islands in 2023 were shot on the same weekend as the flooding in Auckland, the aggs were slightly larger than this year, yet the winning 2 gun agg at this years Nationals was 0.2139" and at the Zuppa it was 0.1925" so the conditions play a part in the results, but a good barrel would agg around the low 0.200's for it's useable life. Some change barrels before it starts shooting big groups. Saying that I've shot a barrel with more than 2000 rounds on it and shot a teen agg 0.1???"

Hope that answers some of your questions