Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: White River Primers - Any misfire issues?

Lol I found some wronguns the other day...didn't even know there was Berdan primed small rifle but found half dozen 5.56,luckily I realised something wrong when ram stopped so had a look. Sorted 300 cases via head stamp after that lol
    338MAN mk2 and Kiwilad2021 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I learnt new trick the other day.with care I can get Lyman case deburring tool to clamp in chuck of cordless drill. Looks like a rocket ship.holding carefully while closing chuck,the jaws come out and grip shaft. Too easy and quick to whizz up primer pockets then.

What upsets me most about all this, is that he threw the powder away. Why did he throw the powder away? Not only do I reuse the powder from dismantled cartridges, I reuse the primers too. And the bullets and cases.
    tetawa, 30.06king and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyDixon View Post
    What upsets me most about all this, is that he threw the powder away. Why did he throw the powder away? Not only do I reuse the powder from dismantled cartridges, I reuse the primers too. And the bullets and cases.
    Only two cases so didn’t bother and at the time I didn’t know what the primer had done so didn’t just tip back into my container - I have reused before
    johnd and Micky Duck like this.

Those ones that didn't go off look almost cupped from the firing pin strike to me - I would suggest that the issue may be related to what is for some reason known as primer sensitising during the primer seating operation or in other words they haven't been squeezed in hard enough to get the cup fully seated onto the anvil.

It's a fairly critical part of the operation, and doesn't take much of an error here to upset things enough that they don't play. What do you use to seat them?
    Micky Duck and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Can you point us to some info please, I religously decock some actions. Not doubting your remark but would like some proof.
    There is another plurry good reason to do it.... If someone does manage to get ahold of rifle and bolt...it won't go in. Until it's been turned again as young Brad found out with his sako.
    techno retard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Those ones that didn't go off look almost cupped from the firing pin strike to me - I would suggest that the issue may be related to what is for some reason known as primer sensitising during the primer seating operation or in other words they haven't been squeezed in hard enough to get the cup fully seated onto the anvil.

It's a fairly critical part of the operation, and doesn't take much of an error here to upset things enough that they don't play. What do you use to seat them?
    Just used the priming tool in the cheap Lee press (it’s not a hand primer).

Lol. For decrimping I use a Stanley knife. Does the job.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.

My model 7 .223 use to do this couldnt hit CCI hard enough but cratered on the fed 210s I put it to light strike
    Micky Duck and Forestry like this.

Can’t be arsed going back and reading the whole thread but I don’t think anyone has said try the rounds in another rifle if possible, removes one variable possibly.

Ive loaded white river primers in my 303, k98 mauser, mosin nagant, k31 swiss and not had a single misfire over about 150 rounds ive loaded with them so far. Would be good to find a mate with the same calibre and try firing them in that. Bit late now obviously. They had a few problems lately at the local shotgun range with seeing more misfires than usual. Someone there reckoned the primer quality has gone down since the war in ukraine etc?
    Forestry likes this.

I heard of the shotgun issue two years ago haven't struck it yet myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Just used the priming tool in the cheap Lee press (it’s not a hand primer).
    Ahh - I found my priming improved a LOT with going to a hand primer, could feel and judge when the primer cup was properly seated. For some reason I was getting the odd proud and tall one out of the press priming lever and was having to stick them back in for another go or two. Worth a double look after each priming operation and check they are all fully seated and seated to the same depth...
    Micky Duck likes this.