Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Who still makes 0.223" diameter projectiles?

Progress is progress. You now KNOW it's not completely rooted and your loads work.
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

thats certainly true, I'll keep working on the loads, still using 23gr of 2207 but seems like max will be around 25gr according to previous comments.
    Cases are still sooty so will keep going upward, currently the 40gr projectiles are humming along at 3100-3150 fps from the 16" barrel, not much compared to a 223 though.
    Almost run out of projectiles so will order some more and get back into it.

Why not revisit the 50 grn spsx with the 4x scope on it.... You still don't know if the normal .224 projectiles are good or not. Your last effort seems to suggest the scope you had on it..or rings were shit. All you changed was to a different scope and suddenly it groups not patterns. Try a bold X as aiming point with the four power scope.

The 50s were very much flying sideways, even at 10m they were long oval holes, running the numbers through a stability calculator looks like 45gr's would be the most it would handle, or 35gr v-max, seems like the 1:16 twist was poor choice, from what info I've found online the sako rifles were 1:14 when chambered in 220, guess its a bit like the early 222 rifles being 1:16 (think it was BSA?)

I have 10 of the .223" projectiles left from the previous owner so maybe I'll throw them in some loads once I'm getting consistent results, would be interesting to see if groups improve with the smaller projectile, then again I'm hardly an experienced shooter and I'm shooting from a fence post so could just need more practice, either way definitely going to have to change up my target, the ol' circle of tail paint is a bit too hard to see

Shooting over a fencepost means you are kneecapping yourself. At very least get into a damped prone. Or any decent prone position. Ok so lightweight n short only.
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.

Yep, or perhaps to shooting sticks. Picnic table?
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.

just a thought get a 224 lee tumble lube die lube ya 224 projectiles and swage them down my 224 die comes out at 223.5 maybe worth a crack if ya cant get 223 projectiles easily

I'm hoping to take mine to the range on Sunday, will let you know how I go and what loads work.
    I'm going to load up some Hornady 40gr and some Sierra 40gr using 2207 and 2219.
    Remember that the original projectiles are round nose, flat base. So quite short and work in the slow twist. I think 224 projectiles will make the case neck too tight in the chamber.

I'll load up some .224s too and see how they go.
    Last edited by Crusty; 16-07-2024 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Micky Duck and NAKED_GOOSE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecod1967 View Post
    just a thought get a 224 lee tumble lube die lube ya 224 projectiles and swage them down my 224 die comes out at 223.5 maybe worth a crack if ya cant get 223 projectiles easily
    It's certainly a thought, was also mentioned on the last page about trying to swage the .224" projectiles down, certainly will be an option if I find that the .223" shoot better in my rifle, the .223" projectiles certainly don't seem to come up often

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Shooting over a fencepost means you are kneecapping yourself. At very least get into a damped prone. Or any decent prone position. Ok so lightweight n short only.
    its quite a tall fence post, just have to stand with a wide stance to get inline with everything, currently its the best setup I have for repeatability until I make a more permanent shooting rest out the back of the farm, only have 60m of flat where I'm shooting at the moment so once I get the gun shooting better I'm sure I'll want to try 100m+ which will require a change in position.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I'm hoping to take mine to the range on Sunday, will let you know how I go and what loads work.
    I'm going to load up some Hornady 40gr and some Sierra 40gr using 2207 and 2219.
    Remember that the original projectiles are round nose, flat base. So quite short and work in the slow twist. I think 224 projectiles will make the case neck too tight in the chamber.

I'll load up some .224s too and see how they go.
    I'm using the sierra 40grs, cause they're the cheapest I've tried 2206H but it was too slow so moved on to 2207, you're right about the necks being tight in the chamber, but I'm turning the brass down, without turned brass I couldn't chamber .223" projectiles or .224". It will be interesting to see what results you get, I got sick of trying to filter through the russian forums with the poor translation from google, be good to get some results in english

to put your rest into perspective..line up on target,close your eyes for 10 seconds and open them again.....if your not still on the bull your testing yourself more than the rifle.. ITS THAT SIMPLE.
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.

What brass are you using? I'm using Lapua 220 Russian

to put your rest into perspective..line up on target,close your eyes for 10 seconds and open them again.....if your not still on the bull your testing yourself more than the rifle.. ITS THAT SIMPLE.
    I've been able to leave the rifle sitting on target balancing on the magazine and sling swivel, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm moving it when touching it so I'll test myself out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    What brass are you using? I'm using Lapua 220 Russian
    Same here, Honestly I don't think anyone else makes it, at least not that's available to us down here.

I've loaded some more rounds and put the old scope on so I'll see what happens

Are you saying you have hard bits of rifle sitting on hard bit of post when shooting???
    Oldbloke and NAKED_GOOSE like this.

You will never shoot really tight groups without a bench rest type set up or similar.

Untill you have a set up like that your just wasting components.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.

Are you saying you have hard bits of rifle sitting on hard bit of post when shooting???
    Indeed, the magazine is normally touching the back of the post, the whole wooden forend is sitting on the post, the sling swivel is just in front of the post, I'm aware it isn't ideal but its the best I've got to use until I make a bench to shoot off.

I did have some soft bags, think It'd be worth using one of those?
    as I'm sure you've noticed I'm a complete novice so not really sure what I'm doing

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    You will never shoot really tight groups without a bench rest type set up or similar.

Untill you have a set up like that your just wasting components.
    you're likely right there, at this point I'm just doing the best with what I have, I think I've been chasing my tail with a scope issue but I'm yet to go out and retest the original buris scope, my original groups were 3-4 inches at 50m, so far thats down to 1.2 inches or so by swapping to another scope.
    If I can get under an inch at 50m I'll be happy, not sure if my fence post rest will limit me before I can achieve that, guess we'll see soon enough, I'll keep updating as I go along, someone might find it useful and I'll eventually build a shooting bench with more range to play with so we can see if that improves things further.