Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Who still makes 0.223" diameter projectiles?

Interesting thought, I'm hoping to get the accuracy sorted out then be shooting between 50-150m as a general all around usage rifle, cattle are currently in my shooting paddock due to all the rain we've been getting, so shooting is delayed temporarily.

Went out again, shot a group with the burris on, then 2 more groups with the nikko on, bugger all difference so the first test must of been a fluke.
    Guess that means its either me or the rifle, I might try some groupings with my 22lr and see how good/bad they are, wont be a direct comparison but at least its some more info, it should make it more obvious if its my shooting thats the issue,

shooting 3-4cm at 25m, prone, off bags, moved the load up to 23.4gr of 2207, didn't seem to do much, I did notice the parallax effect with the burris on 9x zoom, I brought it down to 5x zoom and I couldn't notice it anymore, didn't notice it at all with the nikko 4x,

Burris
    Name:  IMG_1943.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  3.34 MB

Nikko
    Name:  IMG_1944.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  4.08 MB

Name:  IMG_1947.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  2.94 MB

2 or 3 clicks to the right
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

I say twelve clicks right
    Oldbloke and NAKED_GOOSE like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Indeed, It does need to go right, was only setup quickly to get some grouping as I had just swapped the burris off, I imagine it'll be closer to Micky's estimate as its only at 25m

I've got a handful of .223" projectiles so I'm going to try them with the same load, if they don't improve my groups significantly I'm out of ideas, probably time for a 223, at least then I'll be able to shoot projectiles of a reasonable weight.
    Anyways off to the reloading room.

welp .223" projectiles didn't really help, pulled the 4th shot which is the odd one out of the group there, 5th was back on though,
    that was my last idea to improve things, a 223 is more appealing by the day.

any last ditch ideas? unfortunately don't have anyone else to shoot groups with the rifle to rule out me being the issue.
    Name:  IMG_1948.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  3.60 MB

What scope is on the 22lr...

Ok.allow me to make an observation I have made before....and make an assumption. You are aiming at the blue blob??? Aiming to hit,the blue blob??? And look at size of blue blob and size of group....they are the same. Now that blue blob isn't terrible for aiming point IF and ONLY IF you cut it into four bits with cross hairs...

Add up how much you paid for the whole rig, add in ammo components used so far and now compare it to a new 223.

Take into account the struggles you are having to get your riffle to shoot and there you have it, buy once buy right.

Sorry if this makes you feel bad but sometimes something a bit cheaper isn't always the best option.

The other thing is you could also have bought a fast twist for heavier projectiles to use on deer.

All the best with your project, I really do hope it works out for you.
    When hunting think safety first

Yeah mate I hear you on that..but as it stands he still doesn't know if issue is gun,scope,bases or nut behind the butt. Could buy super accurate.223 and still shoot same size groups.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Some one needs to help this bloke.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.

Well I would in heartbeat but I'm too plurry far away to do so. A couple of hours to allow him to fire a good accurate rifle sorts out the nut behind butt bit. Someone else to fire his rifle and possibly swap out scope n mounts will sort that bit out too.

Red face

I'm a bit far too.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    What scope is on the 22lr...
    Just another 4x, cant remember the brand
    Ok.allow me to make an observation I have made before....and make an assumption. You are aiming at the blue blob??? Aiming to hit,the blue blob??? And look at size of blue blob and size of group....they are the same. Now that blue blob isn't terrible for aiming point IF and ONLY IF you cut it into four bits with cross hairs...
    the blob is about 1" I find that the reticle is covering 90% of the blue blob so I can't really spit it up, I have tried using tape in a + shape but I just find that the 4x isn't enough with my eyesight
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Add up how much you paid for the whole rig, add in ammo components used so far and now compare it to a new 223.

Take into account the struggles you are having to get your riffle to shoot and there you have it, buy once buy right.

Sorry if this makes you feel bad but sometimes something a bit cheaper isn't always the best option.

The other thing is you could also have bought a fast twist for heavier projectiles to use on deer.

All the best with your project, I really do hope it works out for you.
    You're all very correct with these thoughts, I'm a bit of a sucker when somethings cheap, especially if its something obscure but that's bitten me in the ass this time,
    I guess somewhat luckily even with all the components im still under 1/2 the cost of a new howa mini in 223, but I'm on the lookout for one of those now.
    This projects probably coming to a close, Its either something wrong with me or the rifle

Yeah mate I hear you on that..but as it stands he still doesn't know if issue is gun,scope,bases or nut behind the butt. Could buy super accurate.223 and still shoot same size groups.
    Currently I think its either me, or the rifle, the only thing I haven't been able to swap out on the rifle is the scope rings as they're an odd size, none of my other rings fit,
    Well I would in heartbeat but I'm too plurry far away to do so. A couple of hours to allow him to fire a good accurate rifle sorts out the nut behind butt bit. Someone else to fire his rifle and possibly swap out scope n mounts will sort that bit out too.
    I appreciate the thoughts, this rifle will be going into the back of the safe for awhile, I'll see if I can find a howa mini, at least then I'll be able to shoot heavier pills and have something thats known to be accurate, then at least I can work on shooting technique to improve things,
    Even if I get this rifle shooting "well" it seems they aren't the most accurate from factory anyways.

Thank you all for your help so far, I think I'll go play with my 12.7x44 rolling block, playing with black powder is always fun
    Micky Duck and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Just a thought, as I understand it, this rifle has had the barrel shortened & threaded for a suppressor ex factory, probably since it arrived in NZ. I wonder how good a job was done on the shortening? That may not be helping your accuracy.