Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Who still makes 0.223" diameter projectiles?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    I'm a bit far too.
    True, surely there is a good bugger on here that will go to a range with this man and rule out shooter error. Sorry I'm too far away also.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by shananah View Post
    Just a thought, as I understand it, this rifle has had the barrel shortened & threaded for a suppressor ex factory, probably since it arrived in NZ. I wonder how good a job was done on the shortening? That may not be helping your accuracy.
    There is a chance that the threading/shortening job is causing issues, the rifle has also been bedded before I got it, this could also be causing issues, the crown of the barrel could also be causing some issues,

I think the bedding or the crowning is the two most likely issues on the rifle, I'll do some more shooting with other rifles and come back to this one with a fresh mind on it, should be able to see if my shooting is the issue doing some grouping with them instead of finding someone else to come and shoot this particular rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    True, surely there is a good bugger on here that will go to a range with this man and rule out shooter error. Sorry I'm too far away also.
    I really appreciate that so many people would be willing to help, but I must say in black and white that I wouldn't be comfortable at this stage with having someone else coming to shoot my rifles, nothing against anyone on the forum or anything like that.

I'm going to go get some groupings with my 22lr, should be posted up soonish, might give an indication on my general shooting ability with a rifle I've been using for ages.

only had a chance to get 1 grouping while sighting it in as it was starting to rain, was still fairly decent (atleast compared to the 220 groupings) 1.3cm 5 shot group at 25m
    I'll go out again to get some more when the weather clears up a bit, I could use the practice anyways

Name:  IMG_1949.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  1.76 MB
    7mm Rem Mag and shananah like this.

Don't shoot at a t shoot at a X that way you can centre reticle north south east n west. If you get me drift. Your cross hairs won't cover the X as that's sticking out in the ne,nw. Se,sw position. Try it. It works.
    308 and NAKED_GOOSE like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Don't shoot at a t shoot at a X that way you can centre reticle north south east n west. If you get me drift. Your cross hairs won't cover the X as that's sticking out in the ne,nw. Se,sw position. Try it. It works.
    Mate, last I heard he was shooting off a fence post!

Before you worry about that, he needs to set up along the lines of bench rest.
    techno retard likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post

I'll setup my next target like that,
    I have a howa mini on the way so guess we'll get to see if its me or the 220 rifle pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Mate, last I heard he was shooting off a fence post!

Before you worry about that, he needs to set up along the lines of bench rest.
    Hah, don't worry I sorted that out a couple of pages back when I was informed I was being stupid shooting off a post, I'm shooting off soft bags prone on the ground, Will have a shooting bench sorted once the ground dries up enough to get some posts rammed in,
    Going to soft bags was noticeably more stable but my groups still aren't good, my first solid try off bags was on page 6 with the wet target, anything prior to that is off the fence post, theres a noticeable improvement from the post, but still 8cm groups at 50m and 4cm groups at 25m.

As above, I have a 223 on the way so I'll get to test if im the issue or not, at least if im the issue I'll be able to shoot pills over 40gr inaccurately
    Micky Duck and Oldbloke like this.

"but still 8cm groups at 50m and 4cm groups at 25m."

What can I say,,,that's terrible.

You must know someone that can assist, not too far away??
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.

Might be able to convince a family member to try and shoot the 220, not sure how they'll group at all as their eyesight is worse than mine

Should have a howa mini in my hands within the day, ammo will probably be Tuesday or so as I'm waiting on cases and some heavier projectiles, guess I'll be able to confirm soon enough,
    although the 1.3cm grouping at 25m with a 22lr should indicate I'm at least capable of some sort of accuracy, the 220 grouping was 3x that at the same range.

Buy some factory loads to start with. Fiochi seems to be accurate for everyone who's tried it.you get new brass and get to test rifle with a known good load.
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.

Should be able to get some 223 rounds tomorrow, no clue what the local H&F stock though,

Have the howa mini in hand, much nicer rifle than the 220, fitted up the scope and suppressor off the 220 onto it,
    As long as I can get some MOA grouping with the howa I'll be selling the 220,
    Oldbloke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NAKED_GOOSE View Post
    Should be able to get some 223 rounds tomorrow, no clue what the local H&F stock though,

Have the howa mini in hand, much nicer rifle than the 220, fitted up the scope and suppressor off the 220 onto it,
    As long as I can get some MOA grouping with the howa I'll be selling the 220,
    Better luck with the 223 mate.you
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.

Went out with the howa mini today, went much better than the 220 did, seem like I might shoot a bit better left handed,
    the howa doesn't like 55gr's by the looks of it, the 62gr's I loaded went well, 5 shot groups at 50m were 1cm left handed and 1.5cm right handed, could of just been the wind or coincidental but I'll test that over time.

Didn't find any factory ammo when I went in so ended up loading my own, 24gr of 2206h for the 62gr and 24.5 for the 55gr,
    Will load up some more and push out to 100m and see what happens

55gr projectiles
    Name:  IMG_1979.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  2.45 MB

62gr projectiles L/H 5 shot group
    Name:  IMG_1977.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  2.08 MB

62gr R/H 5 shot group
    Name:  IMG_1978.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  1.96 MB

The 55s need tried again

I'll do some further testing with the 55's at a later date but with the 10 rounds I loaded the groups were all pretty wide compared to the 62's,
    I've got way more 62's on hand so I'll just continue developing a load for them,

I'll have to figure out the 55's eventually as to my knowledge the hornady 62gr bulk stuff isn't being made anymore so I'll be left with the 55gr as a cheap projectile choice.