Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Air Rifle hunting help.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    you can apply to DOC or it could be Fish and Game ring them and ask which - but you will likely have to supply the name of the landowner and why the paradise are a nuisance - the permits are not dished out add hoc - the land owner must have a real problem with the paradise and can then get a permit to reduce numbers and the permit may well be for a specific property and perhaps even time bound
    It's fish and game that issue the permit. They will require property address, type of bird, name of shooter, caliber of firearm being used, valid reason for removal of said birds, and if you will be shooting them on the ground or inflight.
    If they are happy with everything, they will issue a permit with a bunch of conditions. Normally a max number shot per day, allowed caliber if you specified a few, and often will also require you to purchase a game bird license if it's in gamebird season. At the end of the permit, I was asked to report back on numbers shot.

Quote Originally Posted by juligrat View Post
    Choosing the right air rifle for hunting ducks and rabbits around Wellington is crucial, and the Gamo Swarm Whisperer .22 with a 3-9x40AO scope seems like a solid pick. Based on my research on Guns Domain, it's praised for its accuracy and reliability, which are essential for hunting small game effectively.

When it comes to pellets, I'd suggest experimenting with medium-weight pellets like hollow points or domed pellets. These types typically offer good accuracy and sufficient stopping power for ducks and rabbits. It might take a bit of testing to find the perfect match for your rifle and shooting style, but it's worth the effort.
    Scores 90% on the Turing test. Pretty good but the content is distinctive of a bot.
    scamp, I’d look for independent confirmation before following this advice.

Juligrat, head over to the introductions tab to establish your bona fides as a human.
    quentin and quiet_whisper like this.

I have a Gamo for pissing about. Accuracy was inconsistent until I paid a bit more and bought .22 pellets of the same weight.
    I cannot disclose anything based on earlier thread posts
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

buy a compound bow. use "judo" heads for small game.
    kills things faster than an airgun slug i assure you