Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9454647484950515253545556575859
Like Tree1782Likes

Thread: Bird Predator Control

No doubt they love rabbit - but when using a cage I had plenty of catches using sardines
    Amazing how many times I have seen ferret road kill around sh2 bridges

Two stoats on the line yesterday.

Dundee, time out, kukuwai and 4 others like this.

Always interesting to see the different refinements in design of trap boxes. I like the steel grill at both ends (rather than flimsy wire) the timber looks to be 40mm rather than inch, the solid 3x2 baffle and the sheet metal to strengthen the screw hole. I've often wondered if having a side entry hole would work better, or the same as end entry. Clearly it works. Good job.
    "Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it!" Breaker Morant

There are a variety of adaptations filtering through on the boxes around these lines.. mostly to deter kea.

The metal plate under the screw is to stop the kea digging them out. (Some particularly prone boxes they now use two screws)
    Likewise the solid grilles and even the side entry, after evidence was found of a couple of cases of kea using sticks to trigger the traps before attempting to open the top.

Bonus super-long stoat.

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    No doubt they love rabbit - but when using a cage I had plenty of catches using sardines
    Amazing how many times I have seen ferret road kill around sh2 bridges
    I have a Havahart cage trap set on a neighboring property. I had a salmon head in my freezer and in the process of putting it in the cage trap I have time out's quoted post above banging in my head... ferret and fish. First day nothing, second day I get a text to say there is a ferret in the trap...

This is how common ferrets are in our area. 34 or so years ago I buy 12 doc 200 traps and make boxes for them. First one of these traps I set was checked the next morning and there is a dead ferret in the trap.. 30 years later I catch my second ferret and the one in the cage trap was no.4
    time out likes this.