Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree6270Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Quote Originally Posted by 260madman View Post
    Yep. 62s are where the good stuff starts with Barnes. Better have a 9” twist because they are long.
    Ha ha yeah no, not even close to a 9" twist.
    I kind of got lazy with my shooting as I used to use 130gr hollow points in my .308 and any misplaced shots still did enough damage and left enough of a blood trail to ensure very few animals ever got away.

Since Ive switched to .223, Ive had a Whitetail doe, a Red stag and a Sika spiker get away, which has left me with a 3 from 6 success rate, which is no where near good enough. All with 55gr Hornadys.
    I'm not sure if they were hits or misses, as no blood was found and no animal, even after a lot of searching.
    I like the idea of heavier weight projectiles for now.
    Some time at the range will determine what I use as a hunting round moving forward.
    1 inch groups at 50m will be good enough for what I want to do.
    Long term a rebarrel could be on the cards.
    Fatberg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 9STAGS View Post
    I kind of got lazy with my shooting as I used to use 130gr hollow points in my .308 and any misplaced shots still did enough damage and left enough of a blood trail to ensure very few animals ever got away.

Since Ive switched to .223, Ive had a Whitetail doe, a Red stag and a Sika spiker get away, which has left me with a 3 from 6 success rate, which is no where near good enough. All with 55gr Hornadys.
    I'm not sure if they were hits or misses, as no blood was found and no animal, even after a lot of searching.
    Some time at the range will determine what I use as a hunting round moving forward.
    If you hand load you’d be amazed by the 52 grn Targex in a slow twist.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If you hand load you’d be amazed by the 52 grn Targex in a slow twist.
    No I don't unfortunately, but thank you for the heads up.
    If I can get some made up one day to try out I'll be sure to post any results.
    Cheers.
    Tahr and Shearer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 9STAGS View Post

Load 55gr Hornady sp [no cannelure] with 25gr BM2 in Tikka 8T. No wounded animals. My mate loves the recipe. We out on thursday nite. Point, bang, gut.
    Hunter_Nick and 9STAGS like this.

Another happy Dad and Daughter (12) hunt.
    She really has the bug now. She shot her first goat, a billy @60m, as well as two more the next day @220m.
    75gr eldm @2900fps.
    I shot the little stag (@70m high neck) as we were down to the wire to get one for the kids hunting comp. But she helped me gut and later butcher it.
    She got to carry her first pig too for abit after we got it to the top of the hill. No 223 on the pig, was a 44mag.
    Name:  Resize_20240724_135723_3989.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  870.6 KB
    Name:  Resize_20240724_135723_3552.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  450.3 KB
    Name:  Resize_20240724_135752_2913.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  832.6 KB
    veitnamcam, Trout, TeRei and 14 others like this.

Great stuff
    When hunting think safety first

Good pig that.

55grn VMAX from 225 yards steeply downhill. In through ribs ,left patch bloodied of about 6" the young stag kicked out when hit,ran into cover and made all of fifteen yards before doing the moonwalk then falling over.,long way to carry so didn't look further for damage.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Trout and 3 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    55grn VMAX from 225 yards steeply downhill. In through ribs ,left patch bloodied of about 6" the young stag kicked out when hit,ran into cover and made all of fifteen yards before doing the moonwalk then falling over.,long way to carry so didn't look further for damage.
    do you use those v max rounds much?
    . I got one box of it and the first fallow I shot at around 250 meters it nearly split the heart in half, couldn't believe the damage at the time. Next deer I shot at 15 meters the bullet hit a rib on the way in a broke up ,only a few small fragments went through and peppered the heart. Still killed it but I had my doubts after that and went to the Belmont stuff

It's my wallaby load sometimes.was heaviest load I had on hand and figured out past 150 it should've slowed down a bit so not so explode. Agree std cup n core better up close.

I shoot a 222 so of course very similar in some ways. I shot a goat with 55gr vmax for the first time, entry hole looked like an exit wound. Made me reconsider vmax on deer and pigs re penetration .I usually only use soft points on all game, but run out this time.

I think this entire thread started from a post I made on using the 60gr vmax to extend the range available on game on twist constrained 223s. I have used the 60gr vmax a bit at medium-longish for 223 ranges and yes lits of blood shot meat...I wouldn't use it on a shoulder shot at less than 200y risks under penetrative and wounding.
    However it's a 223 and you can an should pick place your shot.
    65gr gameking for the win in 9 twist
    7mmsaum, BRADS, 6mm ackley and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I've still got a couple of hundred 50grn VMAX/zmax...I would not use then other than headshot...man are they violent and explody... Perfect for what they were designed for,varmits...deadly wobbly medicine.

This may have been asked before - has anyone had any hunting experience with 77gr SMK at 2-400yd ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by MP270 View Post
    This may have been asked before - has anyone had any hunting experience with 77gr SMK at 2-400yd ranges?
    Many, many, many times. There are so many anecdotes floating around online if you want to do a search.

They are not hunting bullets. They do not have polymer tips to offer some guarantee of expansion. And they do not have any design features to limit expansion either.

So when they work, they will work well (no better than anything else, mind you) but you do run the risk of them either blowing up or penciling through things.
    Micky Duck and MP270 like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.