Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree6404Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Shot a few reds with 223 tikka, used federal rounds. Knocked them through neck/shoulder shots pretty easy. But shot placement is key, if you hit a deer in the shoulder blade it likely won’t be fatal, aim behind the shoulder blade if you want to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by ButcherBoy View Post
    Shot a few reds with 223 tikka, used federal rounds. Knocked them through neck/shoulder shots pretty easy. But shot placement is key, if you hit a deer in the shoulder blade it likely won’t be fatal, aim behind the shoulder blade if you want to drop it.
    The impact sound is a lot more substantial thud with the heavyweights compared to the 55gr. Even hitting solid bones like the humerus and scapular sounds of a louder crack.

Quote from the forum 223 Orthopaedic Surgeon named Tikka. LOL.
    Micky Duck and woods223 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ButcherBoy View Post
    Head/neck shot if it’s on and you’re a competent shot. Hilar shot otherwise. Agree, if you take high shoulder shot and hit the shoulder blade you possibly going to get a runner and lose animal unless shot is really high and you fluke a spine shot. If shooting for game chiller head/neck shots pay better money. If I’m culling/general hunting hilar shot is go to. Works for me and I’ve shot hundreds of deer thousands of goats in last few years.

How often has this happened? A .22 centrefire not pentrating a shoulder bone that is. This tread is full of success stories, a lot of which appear to be shoulder shots. To be fair, I would be surprised if even a standard 55gr bullet would not make it through the scapula.
    Tahr, Micky Duck, Triso75 and 1 others like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

According to the media in the States if you use an AR shooting a 223 there’s nothing left of a deer. It’s blown to pieces. You guys are telling me a bullet won’t penetrate a shoulder blade?

gmm
    Quote Originally Posted by 260madman View Post
    According to the media in the States if you use an AR shooting a 223 there’s nothing left of a deer. It’s blown to pieces. You guys are telling me a bullet won’t penetrate a shoulder blade?
    According to the NZ media an AR is the root of all evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    How often has this happened? A .22 centrefire not pentrating a shoulder bone that is. This tread is full of success stories, a lot of which appear to be shoulder shots. To be fair, I would be surprised if even a standard 55gr bullet would not make it through the scapula.
    A .224 projectile, or any other caliber, will penetrate onside scapular easy enough but not always the offside shoulder. If you don’t break both scapular and you hit the void between spine and major organs you end up with three legged animal, still more than capable of gapping it never to be seen again. If you hit onside scapular and a major organ or spine there’s a chance you’ll get animal. Over the past 47+ years I’ve witnessed a few animals lost with a too high shoulder shot from various caliber rifles and spent a lot of hours helping look for animals, mostly never found or seen again. Done it myself too. Hilar shot, you don’t have to break a leg but it can be a bonus. My 2c. Other’s opinions may vary, each to their own. PS I mostly use 55 grainers but also heavies from time to time.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Shearer and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    I've had one failure like this occur out of roughly 40 deer. 75gr eldm hit shoulder joint at 220m on a rutting stag and failed to penetrate vitals. Required follow ups and a track with the dog.