Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree6533Likes

Thread: 223 on deer

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Only real difference is the long ogive of the 75gr really, everything else to my knowledge is the same. One thing to take note of is the sample size for example 1 failure out of 40 odd is pretty good, just an anomaly really. The only reason I went to 73gr, then 80gr was projectile availability then higher BC and accuracy with the 80gr.

Also thought it's important to document less than optimal performance, as people become so enamored with a calibre and aren't willing to admit shortcomings etc.
    And this is where we need to be acutely aware of our biases (either way). Classic scenario plays out like this:

Hunter shoots a stag with a ‘marginal cartridge’ and it requires a tracking job and a bit of faffing around to retrieve. Hunters mate says- ‘See, I told you (insert name of cartridge) wasn’t powerful enough for deer.

Hunters mate sometime after shoots a deer with his loundenboomer cannon and also requires a tracking job and faffing about to retrieve. Hunters mate says - ‘Man I told you these deer were armour plated!’

Humans are extraordinarily susceptible to confirmation bias. The best way to defeat this is by studying the facts, from breaking the shot through to completion of an autopsy on the animal. As @Tahr shows in many of his posts, if the right .223 bullet gets put in the right place, the job is done.
    Tahr, Dreamer, Micky Duck and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    And this is where we need to be acutely aware of our biases (either way). Classic scenario plays out like this:

Hunter shoots a stag with a ‘marginal cartridge’ and it requires a tracking job and a bit of faffing around to retrieve. Hunters mate says- ‘See, I told you (insert name of cartridge) wasn’t powerful enough for deer.

Hunters mate sometime after shoots a deer with his loundenboomer cannon and also requires a tracking job and faffing about to retrieve. Hunters mate says - ‘Man I told you these deer were armour plated!’

Humans are extraordinarily susceptible to confirmation bias. The best way to defeat this is by studying the facts, from breaking the shot through to completion of an autopsy on the animal. As @Tahr shows in many of his posts, if the right .223 bullet gets put in the right place, the job is done.
    Two deer over the weekend.
    #1 a solid Fallow spiker at 260 yds . Hit low in the chest a bit far forward with .257R and 100 grn Barnes. Dog flushed it and it ran down hill 50 yards and she bailed it. Lots of life left inspite of a big hole, and I had to shoot it again. Thank you Bella.

#2 a smaller Fallow at 219 yds with the 77TMK. High shoulder shot. Bang flop.

It's about where you hit 'em.
    outdoorlad, Trout, Dreamer and 5 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Bella is going great.bailing a woundie...Tilly would be proud mate,her tail will be going flat out watching that.
    Tahr likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Bella is going great.bailing a woundie...Tilly would be proud mate,her tail will be going flat out watching that.
    It was a dilemma. Needing to dispatch it as quickly as I could but wanting her to get the idea of what I wanted. Just let her have a couple of barks and lunges and then dispatched it.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Two deer over the weekend.
    #1 a solid Fallow spiker at 260 yds . Hit low in the chest a bit far forward with .257R and 100 grn Barnes. Dog flushed it and it ran down hill 50 yards and she bailed it. Lots of life left inspite of a big hole, and I had to shoot it again. Thank you Bella.

#2 a smaller Fallow at 219 yds with the 77TMK. High shoulder shot. Bang flop.

It's about where you hit 'em.
    Perfect timing for a question/advice.
    A mate is looking to buy his son his first hunting rifle.
    He’s a fit 18 year old + 6’ and won’t have recoil fear, within reason.
    He’s not a hunter (yet) been out after rabbits & goats once or twice.
    Will probably do a lot on his own and with inexperienced mates.
    Will not be hand loading.
    Will be mostly hunting SI, Canterbury & central Otago.

They’ve asked me for advice, they’re thinking .223 - possibly read these 141 pages of commentary.

Would you start a young fella as described on a .223, or perhaps look for a bit more margin for error?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauries Hut View Post

They’ve asked me for advice, they’re thinking .223 - possibly read these 141 pages of commentary.

Would you start a young fella as described on a .223, or perhaps look for a bit more margin for error?
    .243 would be great. Then he can down scale or up scale later depending on his taste. Although I'm a fan, .223 is not something you just pick up with a box of any old ammo and go hunting with. Takes a bit of thought.
    gimp, Trout, HUNTY and 15 others like this.
    - Rumi

That's my pick for post of the year.
    Tahr and yeah_na_missed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauries Hut View Post

Size is relative. Ask a friend[s] to lend a 243 and 223 to see what he likes best. Did this with my mates son. Took a shine to the 223. He kills lotsa reds and fallow. He is aged 15.
    Tahr likes this.

Suppressed 243 with limbsaver.... Better in everyway IF shot angle or position or puffed or big,wet,grumpy animal. (This from guy who took the piss out of 243 users for fourty years) You just have more horsepower ...
    Oldbloke likes this.

I did this with a specific bullet from one of my 260s. Swore the bullet off because of performance. After 2 years I looked back at what happened and I couldn’t blame bullet performance. I pulled my shot a few inches too low because I rushed it badly. Bullet hit the humerus bone and penetration lacked to the lower lungs/heart causing a rodeo. I put that buck down quickly with 4 more shots in the ribs as fast as I could from 10 yards away when I caught up to him. He had gone onto the neighbors land and I didn’t want to do any tracking so if it was moving he was getting a bullet until he quit. I’ve since gone back to the bullet and no problems with it because I haven’t shot anything in a bad spot. Funny how that works.
    Micky Duck and Hunter_Nick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post

To be picky, it's 224 caliber projectile. 222 projectiles are 224 cal too, 223 is name for a certain caliber. Carry on chaps, your up to page 141 and going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    To be picky, it's 224 caliber projectile. 222 projectiles are 224 cal too, 223 is name for a certain caliber. Carry on chaps, your up to page 141 and going strong.
    Cartridge...if you want to be picky. But it seem nearly everyone uses the word 'caliber' when they talk about individual chamberings as opposed to bore diameter.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Indeed.i have three cartridges in .224 calibre,trebly,223 and 22-250 love them all.have shot deer,pigs n wallabies with all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    .243 would be great. Then he can down scale or up scale later depending on his taste. Although I'm a fan, .223 is not something you just pick up with a box of any old ammo and go hunting with. Takes a bit of thought.
    Thanks Thar, I had similar thoughts. 243 - 308.
    As you all know, there are so many variables to getting in a position to take a shot at an animal, and then making a clean kill.
    I think a little margin for error due to inexperience-excitement wouldn’t hurt.

Cheers M
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Will he reload?

308 with 130gr doing about 2,800fps. Very mild to shoot.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.