Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Advice Needed: Choosing Caliber for Open Tops Hunting

6.5PRC load him up some 147s and you’ll be grabbing it before your 308!

308, 30-06, 270 and 7mm08 are all more than capable factory offerings that will perform just fine out to well beyond the envelope you described.edit: and apparently the 6.5 PRC too, judging by the above 2 posts!
    Micky Duck likes this.

yep anything 243, 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, 308,
    fallow are not a large deer.
    Personally I would stay away from the 308 as while it's more than capable it's probably more that you need for Fallow.
    I shoot 243 and 358, The larger caliber takes a lot more technique to shoot accuratley and tends to destroy both shoulders on small medium red deer, (hinds & spikers)
    Z
    Moutere and Bol Tackshin like this.

I would be quite comfortable using either my 30.06 or 270W for a max distance of 300 - 400 yds.
    By the sounds of it from above comments the 308W is also a candidate.
    If you decide to start reloading there may be some advantages if both you and Dad shoot the 308W.

Depending on the target species, I'd be happy with a 308. Took my 300wsm for a walk a couple of weekends ago instead of the 308 and this spiker popped up at about 75m. A quick dinner plate challenge shot in the high shoulder dropped him on the spot. While I got all the meat off the rear legs, tenderloins and all the backsteak meat up to the head, the 200gr ELD-X punched a fist sized hole through the ribs and the tops of his shoulders so the front legs were not fit for consumption.
    Name:  20240615_123321.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  5.47 MB
    Name:  20240615_131753.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  4.47 MB
    Would the 308 have done the job? Absolutely.

I did 'feel' more confident with a bit more knock-down power should I need it, but for Fallow sized game a 308 would get the same result with a bit less meat damage.
    Trout, Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

absolutly nothing wrong with the 30-06 family either, 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06 etc.
    while I'm not a 308W fan that's mostly because I like to take the road less traveled.
    If you are looking to get into reloading then it make sence if both you and your Dad
    shoot the same caliber.
    Z
    hunter Al.7mm08 likes this.

270 with 145 eldx. ( factory ammo ) Hits hard and still a very capable all rounder.
    NZ hunter, Duleys rate theirs and shoot near and far from sika, thar and big red stags.
    The trusty 308 with a good diable scope is never a mistake and huge factory ammo, projectile support.
    Keep it simple and invest in the best glass and ammo you can afford.
    Micky Duck likes this.

HBhunter
    As majority have said 308 will do all he needs and more. Yes there’s other flasher calibres out there does he need one probably not.
    Get a 308 Spend the money on a good dial up scope and get it set up correctly he won’t look back.
    7mmsaum, GSP HUNTER and Shearer like this.

I’m surprised the old 6.5x55 cal (modern action) hasn’t been mentioned. Brilliant when hand loaded with 2209/143 eldx or the 160 rn projectiles. My Tikka in this calibre is well treasured.
    Andygr likes this.

Second vote for the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Almost identical ballistics to the 6.5CM and same powder charge as the 308, but with higher ballistic coefficient projectiles (potentially).
    Also I'm a huge fan on the 30.06 family, 270, 25.06, 280, 8mm06 and 308 etc.
    From the 308 family, huge fan of 308, 7mm-08, but not so keen on the 6mm 243. If you want 6mm (Why??) The 6mm Remington is 150 - 200 fps faster and more foot pounds of energy than the 243.
    One thing for you and your father to consider is the mechanics of a LONG action, verses a SHORT action. The early calibres (30.06family) are mostly LONG action, whilst the more "modern" calibres in the 308 family (circa 1950) and today's new calibres are mostly short action.
    Reason being; lighter to carry, cheaper to manufacture, ammunition is shorter, therefore lighter to carry and troops can carry more rounds, modern powders can get the same, or better, performance outvof smaller case capacity, short, fat cases burn the powder more efficiently than long skinny case.
    308 or 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser would be my choice.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.
    "Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it!" Breaker Morant

Heaps of great choices here. However if I was your dad I’d keep it simple. .308 or 7mm08. I’ll never forget the great ammo shortage of 2021 (or whenever it was), with that in mind I’d go for .308.
    As for the person who mentioned .308 being a bit too heavy for fallow, I shoot 130, 155, 168 and 180 grain projectiles out of mine, I’ve shot plenty of fallow with it, generally use the 130s for fallow.
    The real advantage of the .308 is the availability of ammo, some of the above mentioned calibres have had ammo shortages.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Shields View Post
    Second vote for the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Almost identical ballistics to the 6.5CM and same powder charge as the 308, but with higher ballistic coefficient projectiles (potentially).
    Also I'm a huge fan on the 30.06 family, 270, 25.06, 280, 8mm06 and 308 etc.
    From the 308 family, huge fan of 308, 7mm-08, but not so keen on the 6mm 243. If you want 6mm (Why??) The 6mm Remington is 150 - 200 fps faster and more foot pounds of energy than the 243.
    One thing for you and your father to consider is the mechanics of a LONG action, verses a SHORT action. The early calibres (30.06family) are mostly LONG action, whilst the more "modern" calibres in the 308 family (circa 1950) and today's new calibres are mostly short action.
    Reason being; lighter to carry, cheaper to manufacture, ammunition is shorter, therefore lighter to carry and troops can carry more rounds, modern powders can get the same, or better, performance outvof smaller case capacity, short, fat cases burn the powder more efficiently than long skinny case.
    308 or 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser would be my choice.
    Bro 6mm Remington is the easily the dumbest suggestion so far

agree with the 6mm rem dislike had a 742 woodsmaster in 6mm Rem soon got rid of it 308 to big for fallow no use one regularly we normally take hindquarters and back steaks so shoulder damage is not an issue

I'm surprised by all the comments claiming that this caliber or that caliber is too big for Fellow ???
    Show me the caliber that when placed squarely through both front shoulders of a Fallow, Sika or Red, leaves much, if any, front shoulder meat salvageable for human consumption, unless your not worried about consuming savagely bruised & bloodshot meat, or worse, ingesting lead and splintered bone fragments.
    Pick your "hunting" caliber on individual rifle preference first, then ammunition availability and cost, then caliber.... Just look at the "223 on deer" thread to see what damage the small 223 can do !
    If your only going to head shoot or neck shoot your deer, then my post is irrelevant, but who's that good ? ...... rant over sorry ...

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I'm surprised by all the comments claiming that this caliber or that caliber is too big for Fellow ???
    Show me the caliber that when placed squarely through both front shoulders of a Fallow, Sika or Red, leaves much, if any, front shoulder meat salvageable for human consumption, unless your not worried about consuming savagely bruised & bloodshot meat, or worse, ingesting lead and splintered bone fragments.
    Pick your "hunting" caliber on individual rifle preference first, then ammunition availability and cost, then caliber.... Just look at the "223 on deer" thread to see what damage the small 223 can do !
    If your only going to head shoot or neck shoot your deer, then my post is irrelevant, but who's that good ? ...... rant over sorry ...
    I would also say it's the opposite, the smaller bullets like .223 with the more frangible bullets used will damage more meat than a traditional soft point .308 will. I have a .375H&H which everyone says will blow big holes in goats and deer. Quite the opposite, the bullets are constructed more stoutly and my bigger concern is they pencil straight through without expanding and meat damage would be less than my various other calibres.

But never the less I agree, if a shoulder is shot, it stays where it is, on the carcass.