Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Bush rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Sako A7 in 308 16" barrel, dpt can and VX3hd 2.5-8x36. Perfect combo for Nth island bush.
    Identical set-up here, except 2.5-10x42 scope. Perfect combo for Sth island bush & modest tops work. Shoots Superformance 150g SST at about 2770 fps.
    Last edited by luckey; 17-09-2024 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Low box View Post
    I meant the modification where the safety is engaged to lock the bolt in the up position. So releasing the safety AND lowering the bolt is required to fire. I appreciate this is not as safe as having to work the bolt to chamber a round however when I am hunting in tight bush it is a balanced approach to risk that I have somewhat grudgingly accepted. I unchamber the round if the country is tricky or the stalk has turned to a walk. Its a balancing act.
    Na, all good, not a dig at you - was just making sure the OP didn't mistake it for bolt half-open like many do. The thread covers your mod, agree it's a balancing act, and that's what I meant by making an informed decision. We're all adults, and can do what works best for our own situation and experience - acknowledging and responding to risk is good! Arguably a dying art. The main thing is actually just getting out there (and getting home again).

Now back to the sweet bush set-ups!
    littlemorepork likes this.
    bunji likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by ojc2 View Post
    With it off, it's very (but still well within legal) short, sitting next to the 24" barrel waypoint looks almost comical.

24" barrels look comical to me

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    That all comes down to packaging too though, even with a longer length of pull my 24" single shot is shorter than my 20" r700
    Name:  20240918_214514.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  2.55 MB
    Bol Tackshin, MB and Deanohit like this.

I've recently gone from a 16" Howa 7mm08 with gunworks maximus suppressor and VX1 to a bit more of an all rounder that I've spent some more dollars on. Tikka 7mm08 with 18" barrel in a GRC classic stock with 3-15x44 VX5. It's been fluted, bedded and an aftermarket trigger spring installed. Greystone did the gunsmithing and the suppressor. Really nice rifle to shoot, nice to carry and will be a great all rounder for 90% of my hunting. I've "developed" a mild bush load for it but am working on something for longer hunting ranges now too. Name:  IMG_2952.jpeg
Views: 156
Size:  228.6 KB
    Name:  20240918_221042.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  873.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    One thing I do rate on my Howa over my Remington is the three stage safety. Being able to lock the bolt closed on the Howa is one less thing to worry about when charging thru supplejack. Have had the Rem bolt flick open and eject or semi-eject a round on a few occasions.
    Deliberately swapped to a Timney on one of my Howa's to eliminate the three stage 'saftey'. The middle position is useless as it simply delays the slide to fire and does make a decent amount of noise. The factory three position is OK as a trigger in itself (a corrupted copy of the Sako L-series trigger) but I suspect the 'three position' saftey was just another 'feature' that the Yank importers (Legacy Sports) wanted added on.

A saftey should be like a light switch. There is no point in an intermediary position... 'What state/condition is the rifle in?' 'Ah- it's medium safe as I've fucked about with the saftey (half-bolt is a simillar, stupid malarkey of NZ fudds.)

A loaded rifle is never 'safe'. The trigger or firing pin can break/malfunction and go off at any time once the rifle is cocked with a round in the chamber.

Also, if your Rem 700/M7 bolt is getting flicked open by accident, you can use a bit of electrical tape to hold it in position. If you need to fire and reload it won't keep the bolt from coming up and back but will prevent un-intentional lift up. USMC and US Army used Rem 700's for decades with no dramas.
    Quintin and Sika 8 like this.

You are, going to get lots of different options, Depending on what a guys finances allow, and the type of country they hunt. most of my life, i just carried a std 22" barrel rifle, 7x57, 270, .222
    My bush rifles now are a Sako 7-08 chopped to 18", Copper 6x45, 20", and a Winchester M94 30-30, the good old lever, has to be one of the best carrying rifles, ever made, slim, balanced, compact, light weight, cups nicely in the hand.
    As single shot owner, (k95 Blaser), the lack of action, in a break action makes for a compact rifle,
    Quintin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    They do look a bit retro don’t they…
    But there will never be as many deer shot in the trees with so called “bush pigs” as there all ready have been with 25” SMLE’s. Dunno how they did it.
    The majority of ‘bush pigs’ and their owners spend most of their lives in open country and scattered/open bush. Not many bush pigs go real bush hunting.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Fuk that dreaded name popped up. Bush pig is such a stupid name for a rifle. Back in the day it was just called a carbine

Yeah. Ive got a 24 inch barrelled BRNO, a short mini action howa with carbon stock, and a 24 inch barrelled carbon stocked Barrett.

The barrel length makes no real difference. Its more about the perception of the weight and having to carry your rifle in the hand all day while bush hunting.
    Once I got the Barrett, I stopped using the Howa pretty much as the new rifle was similar weight and more versatile.

Makes me wonder how noticable 1 or 2 inches off the barrel really is only really noticable to me if I get the tape measure out...
    whanahuia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Not many bush pigs go real bush hunting.
    there used to be alot of bush pigs hunting the RSL club when i was living on central coast NSW........ dangerous times for a young kiwi
    Gibo, Roarless20 and Silversurfer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Fuk that dreaded name popped up. Bush pig is such a stupid name for a rifle. Back in the day it was just called a carbine
    And carbine is a much better name as you say. Makes one wonder a bit.
    Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Makes me wonder how noticable 1 or 2 inches off the barrel really is only really noticable to me if I get the tape measure out...
    I find it very noticeable I have 22 20 and 16 the shorter points better im not worried about it snagging on bush as my 20 is fine in the bush but given I’m shooting free hand in the bush how it points is crucial I wouldn’t dream of trying to shoot my 22+can of hand it bounces around something stupid
    Roarless20 likes this.

Yeah stupid bloody name ay?!

My rifle is a "Super Pig"