Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Bush rifles

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Makes me wonder how noticable 1 or 2 inches off the barrel really is only really noticable to me if I get the tape measure out...
    If I was purely making a bush gun I would stick to 16" but the 18" Tikka certainly isn't cumbersome. Feels like a good compromise between overall length and retaining a bit more velocity.

Pensas sika.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yea I havnt felt the need to chop any of my rifles just so I can take it in the bush other than a 22lr possum gun that had a rusted out muzzle

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Fuk that dreaded name popped up. Bush pig is such a stupid name for a rifle. Back in the day it was just called a carbine
    Damn right!
    Who started this naming a carbine as a ‘bush pig’?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Why not one of the fast twist 223s, plenty of energy in close, ability to place shots very precisely through trees etc.

Now tell me all your first hand "I shot a deer through a 3" tree with my great big gun" stories . . .
    caberslash likes this.

I shot a tree with my meduim gun. Needed a quick follow up shot as well

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Why not one of the fast twist 223s, plenty of energy in close, ability to place shots very precisely through trees etc.

Now tell me all your first hand "I shot a deer through a 3" tree with my great big gun" stories . . .
    But I DID shoot a deer through a young beech tree 3”+ thick!
    Bullet took out a shoulder on one side and ribs on the other and stopped under the skin. 308 for the win!
    trooper90 and Micky Duck like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Nice one, I currently shoot the 7mm-08 in the standard barrel. The bush-load you are developing, would it be closer to a subsonic. Wanted to to try some sub-sonics with the 7mm-08, but it doesn't look like these are commercially sold. I'm thinking of keeping with 7mm-08 for longer shots and then buying a 308 for for a bush gun where I can use subs with the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Damn right!
    I think it was Greg Duley/NZ Hunter when they started selling chopped and suppressed Tikkas, calling them "bush pigs".
    More meplat, more better.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
    Nice one, I currently shoot the 7mm-08 in the standard barrel. The bush-load you are developing, would it be closer to a subsonic. Wanted to to try some sub-sonics with the 7mm-08, but it doesn't look like these are commercially sold. I'm thinking of keeping with 7mm-08 for longer shots and then buying a 308 for for a bush gun where I can use subs with the dogs.
    @Quintin not even close to subsonic. Still going 2650 fps. All I meant by bush load is that it's cheap and cheerful and I'm not too worried about precision. I used "developed" a bit tongue in cheek because I chose a projectile that I have plenty of (139g interlock) and powder that I have plenty of (AR2206H) and randomly chose a load somewhere below book max, and I don't need to do anything more with it. I figure for the amount of shots the dog gets over her head (maybe half a dozen a year, if she's lucky) a std suppressed 7-08 is fine. Most shots I take with her there I've already got her in heel anyway. I'm currently developing a load which I will use for tops/open country hunting and I suspect it will take a bit more effort to get that shooting how I want it.
    Shearer, Micky Duck and Quintin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    They do look a bit retro don’t they…
    But there will never be as many deer shot in the trees with so called “bush pigs” as there all ready have been with 25” SMLE’s. Dunno how they did it.
    The majority of ‘bush pigs’ and their owners spend most of their lives in open country and scattered/open bush. Not many bush pigs go real bush hunting.
    @Tahr I've been "real" bush hunting (at least I think?) with an old sported 303, a 7mm rem mag (terrible idea) and a bush pig, and now with my 18" suppressed 7mm08 - I would rather have the bush pig for dedicated bush hunting any day of the week. I do think the "bush pigs" are attractive because they get close to a quiver killer in that they are very handy in the bush but with the right hand loads can shoot reliably out to most common hunting distances. Maybe this is why, as you say, many of them spend their lives in open country too.
    Tahr, Shearer and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Damn right!
    A bush pig was an ugly sheilah from waimate!!!!
    Basenjiboy likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    I think it was Greg Duley/NZ Hunter when they started selling chopped and suppressed Tikkas, calling them "bush pigs".
    Ah the NZ special then, take a concept that pre-exists and claim you invented it or somehow made it special.

Honey, wool, rugby, rifles...

Just remember the UK did it first (although maybe not better...)

Name:  Screenshot_20240919_064756_Chrome.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  88.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Ah the NZ special then, take a concept that pre-exists and claim you invented it or somehow made it special.

Honey, wool, rugby, rifles...

Just remember the UK did it first (although maybe not better...)

Attachment 259497
    Gosh you must be fun at parties
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yet, it is kiwi reviving the concept and making probably one of the best reproduction currently available worldwide:

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....mpleted-81778/
    Micky Duck likes this.