Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Field Dressing Advice

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    @Tahr is a legend offing to show you hands on and can’t be beaten. I lay the dear on its belly and cut the skin down the centre of the back and cut/pull the skin away down each side to expose the back steaks. I then remove both back steaks by cutting down along both sides of the back bone (there’s a ridge of bones along the centre of the back) then cut up to the centre of the back bone along the ribs rolling the knife around the ribs to get as much meat as possible. I like to start at the neck and work down to the back legs working the knife along the bone. Then flip the dear and cut down through the crutch following the hip bone and avoiding the gut cavity, work the knife around the hip joint and then keep close to the bone and take all the meat down through to the tail. Hang the leg in a tree and cut the skin from the bottom of inner leg up to the top of the hock and pull the skin off around to the outer leg and cut around the hock. I then remove the meat off the leg bone by dividing into muscle groups. All the meat goes into a pillow case and is hung in the shade to cool. Job done.
    Much the same. I take the inside steaks through an incision behind the last rib hard against the spine and take the shoulders if they are not ruined and/or if someone is watching
    Preacher and 2post like this.

Remember that it normally takes 30-45 mins to process a deer in the field when you know what your doing. If your in the Bush just keep in mind if you drop one on last hour of light you run the risk of trying to navigate through Bush in dark. Open farmland or valleys is somewhat easier.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Much the same. I take the inside steaks through an incision behind the last rib hard against the spine and take the shoulders if they are not ruined and/or if someone is watching
    This^^^

the Graf brothers have some great dvds...there is one where they break down a deer in next to no time with a mercator knife of all things.... see if you can find a copy...you can watch it over and over again....goats are great to practice on.
    2x15ltr buckets...drill holes in base of one of them...put meat in holed bucket and slip it inside 2nd unholed bucket...put in fridge for up to a week...stir the meat every day to move blood to bottom of bucket and into bottom bucket...tip that out and rinse it daily.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ocium View Post
    Thanks for the response mate. I've seen a few vids on how to extract the whole carcass;
    Scott (Backblocks Hunting); Turning a Deer into a Backpack... "Kiwi Style" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhPp_m3Kz2k
    Josh; Deer Backpack with the Kiwi Bushman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN3ltoYTAMc
    Shaun (Pig Hunters NZ); Gut and Carry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6kdX9fG-dA
    Shaun (NZWildThings); Backpacking a Wild Pig - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_eeFVWmO9E

I'm not a huge bloke, and this is another reason why I thought it would be more practical to only carry out what I can eat. Even considered boning-out shoulders and neck on site (weather and time permitting) to minimise load-out weight.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the neck out in one piece (bone-in), or bone it out, along with tenderloins and offal (heart, liver, kidneys), without having to gut the carcass, all on site; I've seen a few vids on how to do this too.

What is the advantage of carrying a full carcass out when you're going to biff the head/spine/pelt/hooves? Maybe because you want to mount the head as a trophy, or use the bits you're not going to eat yourself to cook-up for dog tucker?
    It is really good to get every-ones opinions which cover all sorts of situations. The advantage is speed and better cleaner meat. If the deer is small - a spiker or yearling it will only weigh 40 - 60 kg gutted. Maybe you can drag it down a steep face to a track.40 kg is an easy carry. In another situation gut it leave it on the hill over night and come back in the morning. Shoot one first thing in a hunting trip and hang it up and carry on hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Cutting them up in the field is over-rated imo. Get Tahr to show you how to gut and then carry. And how to separate a set of hindquarters from the carcase with backsteaks attached and the skin from the shoulders and back wrapped round them as a carry load. There is good meat like the neck chops that will get left behind if you butcher on the hill.
    If you’re going to carry them out whole, get a carry belt made up, so you are carrying the deer horizontally. It’s a whole shitload easier. Definitely more comfortable and energy efficient than the traditional backpack style.
    Micky Duck likes this.

One thing i have found is everyone does it diferently, learn something new everytime.... all depends on the situation if you can carry it out whole or not.

Usually i take chest shots so have the animals lying chest down, take as much skin off back as possible and tale backsteaks out, then skin off the back legs and seperate them off. Leave legs whole for the carry out amd butcher then into groups when home and the dogs get the bones.

Banned
    Yep, I just quarter them with gut bag intact and remove back straps. Hanging if cool or boning out, double bagging and in the creek with a cairn of stones to keep eels out.

One trick I was shown was take a small ss marine pulley and some 200-300kg paracord. Use that as your portable lifting rig when needed (Though handy trees are not always handy...)

The other trick he showed me was to gut it, then instead of hanging it by its hocks, he put the rope through the poo hole. That way you are free to work on both legs stripping the meat and leaving the large bones behind. By using the poo hole the whole animal doe not come down when you finish the second leg. The fellow who showed me this does not leave any usable meat behind and carrys nothing home that he does not eat.
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

There's a good graf boys video on YouTube where he breaks the whole animal down I'll try find the link for you

MB
    A few random thoughts from someone who has only shot half a dozen pigs/deer on solo day hunts.

- When I shoot an animal, the hunt is over. My priority is to get it cleaned and stored appropriately as fast as possible.

- I use this method for animal preparation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubxppdxfx0w&t=10s

- I find it easier to deal with an animal that's hanging up. I've made a lightweight pulley system for less than $15. Tested it today on my son (20kg) and my wife (55kg) in a playground! All good. Could pull my son up with one arm, wife was a bit more work, but doable. It's more crap/weight to carry around, but worth it I think.

- I take back steaks, tender loins, back legs and shoulders. It all fits in a Huntech Meat Bag. I've added a wide luggage strap so it sits across one shoulder on my front so I can still wear a backpack.

This works for me, but I'm still learning.

I agree MB...once animal is down hunt is over....JonP agree about the carry strap...my latest daybag/pikau is made from polarfleece ,has tennis ball in each corner (shhhh dont for goodness sake tell the dog) and the strap is 8 feet of seat belt..... the belt can be used for carry strap and bag itself poked in gut cavity..so far Ive used it twice,strangely enough two animals at once both times ,two goats and two pigs about 70lb each.....was a good load but sure beat doing the relay shuffle thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    A few random thoughts from someone who has only shot half a dozen pigs/deer on solo day hunts.

- When I shoot an animal, the hunt is over. My priority is to get it cleaned and stored appropriately as fast as possible.

- I use this method for animal preparation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubxppdxfx0w&t=10s

- I find it easier to deal with an animal that's hanging up. I've made a lightweight pulley system for less than $15. Tested it today on my son (20kg) and my wife (55kg) in a playground! All good. Could pull my son up with one arm, wife was a bit more work, but doable. It's more crap/weight to carry around, but worth it I think.

- I take back steaks, tender loins, back legs and shoulders. It all fits in a Huntech Meat Bag. I've added a wide luggage strap so it sits across one shoulder on my front so I can still wear a backpack.

This works for me, but I'm still learning.
    This is a good point, when you shoot an animal the hunt is over. Obviously depends on terrain, access, etc. Basically you have hunted, successfully, and now the job is get the meat out. Remember there is no race, unless it’s close to dark but then you have a torch right? I prefer a whole carcass, doesn’t dry out in the chiller, but obviously there are physical limits. Shuttleing works well once you get to a track, if you’re bush bashing keep all of your shit together. Whatever works for you, but get basically get what you can and enjoy👍

I’m yet to shoot a deer on flat ground but that’s life.. most are a few hours walk from the car so I butcher on site.

I remember shooting my first deer and thinking I needed to bleed it prior to field dressing. I cut into the femoral and no blood at all came out. There is no need to bleed an animal unless it’s still kicking.

After trial and error with both goats and deer and ive settled on removing the back legs complete without gutting the animal. Back steaks, shoulders and if I can carry it neck etc gets boned out and hung in pillow cases. Tenderloins can be taken last by reaching under the ribs once the back legs are off.

I then hang the rear legs and prior to the walk out skin and bone them out to cut weight.

I’ve taken to keeping a chilly bin in the car but a rubbish bag will suffice. Throw a bag of ice in with the meat (keep a plastic barrier/bag between the ice and the meat). Once home it’s placed in the fridge for a couple days and then processed into steaks and mince.

Cool meat seperates easily into it’s different muscle groups so you will appreciate refrigerating the meat when it comes time to break it down.

Like you I’ve had a lot of advice to cool or hang for 7 days. Nothing wrong with that I’m just less patient.
    Rusky and ocium like this.