Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Goat cull

You can enjoy shooting an animal of any kind whilst still showing the utmost respect. Goat shooting is great fun, haven't done a lot in recent years. Was a good article for once.
    Micky Duck, BSA270 and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I feel the same way about wallabies. I more than happy to shoot n walk away.i do actually miss not having goats to shoot/ hunt/harvest
    Last weekend my vagas deer stalking quickly turned into a wallaby mission as the bloody things were everywhere! Ended up knocking a couple of back wheels off and it’s actually decent eating. Will look to pick up a 223 for them as the 308 subsonic got a bit expensive hahahaha
    Trout, Micky Duck, BSA270 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidasset View Post
    Last weekend my vagas deer stalking quickly turned into a wallaby mission as the bloody things were everywhere! Ended up knocking a couple of back wheels off and it’s actually decent eating. Will look to pick up a 223 for them as the 308 subsonic got a bit expensive hahahaha
    when I was a young hunter in gisborne I would visit our full bore club armorer fri night and buy round packets of 75 .303 army - charged $4 for 75 out for the week end on neighboring sheep stations to were I was working and shoot anything up to 150 goats - great practice but deaf as now lol - cocky was pleased though
    Micky Duck, BSA270, RV1 and 1 others like this.

Hey @Liquidasset another fantastic goat calibre is 222 Remington. They are quieter, more accurate (according to historical world records) and cheaper to reload if you are into that. Having said that, you have to balance that against availability and cost of factory ammunition (there are often $1 per round deals on 223 but not 222) and obviously 223 is more powerful and fires heavier projectiles. That said 222 is an excellent goat (and deer) calibre.
    BSA270 and RV1 like this.
    "Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it!" Breaker Morant

Try an oxtail stew recipe with roo tails,the more meaty sections close to body are particularly good,all the tendons break down till you have pot of bones,meat and jelly.
    Hugh Shields likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

For those who reload, the Frontier CMJ FMJ flatpoints imported by Rusa run great on goats. Not a long distance accurate bullet but hit hard and I suspect tumble on impact in flesh out of 223. They make nice round holes in paper at 100m. Back in 2017-18 I bought them at around $136/1000. Had to get Bill to bring in the 62gn flatpoints especially as not part of his standard annual order but my Ruger American Ranch II 223 loves them. The 55gn goes great in my BSA CF2 222. Headshots from both to 80-100m, shoulder out to 150-200 if you get them grouping well. They also sell a 30cal target FMJ which I have some of but have yet to use in anger. The .224 rip a decent hole at around 2600fps. I suspect they're still under $200/1000. Cheap plinking. Cheap and reliable out to 100m. Just not sub moa.
    Micky Duck, BSA270 and RV1 like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...