Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Hand held thermal now legal on public land

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A danger is that thermals pick up indistinct heat signals, especially in scrub and bush. And the cheaper thermal spotters that will be mostly used (35mm/$2.5k types) have lower definition. Even in open country it can be difficult to clearly define what the heat source is. Shooting at these heat spots could be a disaster, and people will do it - you can bet on it. People will also be tempted to shoot at heat signals when shooting light is marginal - you can bet on that too.

It will be an absolute essential to check heat sources with good binos, or be absolutely certain through the thermal the shape is an animal. Using these on public land adds another level of risk to everyone. Ive previously seen poorly edited You Tube vids of these being used on DOC land by hoons. With drinking involved. It makes me uneasy.

The risk is less on private land because other people are less likely to be about - but there are no guarantees.
    I don't think this scenario is that likely with handheld thermals. When you spot a heat signature it is actually quite hard to figure out exactly where it is. Trees and surrounding features look quite different in the thermal so it can be hard to pinpoint where the object actually is through the binos or naked eye. The only info you really get is that there is something warm in a rather general area. This generally necessitates the use of binos to follow up where exactly and what this heat signature is. You cant really shoot at a heat signature because you wouldn't be confident as to where exactly it was without follow up with binos or at least the optical rifle scope (not advisable).

Now rifle mounted thermal scopes are a different story, but these are still not legal to use on DOC land for good reason. From what I have heard the recent accidents have involved the misuse of thermal scopes not handheld thermals. With these you really can blaze away at an indistinct white blob.

As someone said previously thermals are just a new way to make old mistakes. The type of people stupid enough to lob rounds in the general direction of a heat signature are the same ones who regularly shoot their mates after hearing some rustling in a bush etc etc. I agree with DOC on this one, the risks of handheld thermal use are minimal compared to all the other ways in which you can misidentify a target. Shooting at sound or movement while bush stalking is still far more dangerous and likely to result in an accident in my opinion.

I am happy to use thermals, a big part of hunting for me is actually bringing a decent amount of meat home to the family. With the cost of everything going up so much and having to convince the wife to babysit the kids alone so I can get out occasionally it really is painful coming home empty handed. They do help pick up a lot more animals specially in distant faces covered in matagouri and bracken which are particularly hard to glass effectively with binos. But I always follow up with my binos to identify my target before proceeding further.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Shearer and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
    I don't think this scenario is that likely with handheld thermals. When you spot a heat signature it is actually quite hard to figure out exactly where it is. Trees and surrounding features look quite different in the thermal so it can be hard to pinpoint where the object actually is through the binos or naked eye. The only info you really get is that there is something warm in a rather general area. This generally necessitates the use of binos to follow up where exactly and what this heat signature is. You cant really shoot at a heat signature because you wouldn't be confident as to where exactly it was without follow up with binos or at least the optical rifle scope (not advisable).

Now rifle mounted thermal scopes are a different story, but these are still not legal to use on DOC land for good reason. From what I have heard the recent accidents have involved the misuse of thermal scopes not handheld thermals. With these you really can blaze away at an indistinct white blob.

As someone said previously thermals are just a new way to make old mistakes. The type of people stupid enough to lob rounds in the general direction of a heat signature are the same ones who regularly shoot their mates after hearing some rustling in a bush etc etc. I agree with DOC on this one, the risks of handheld thermal use are minimal compared to all the other ways in which you can misidentify a target. Shooting at sound or movement while bush stalking is still far more dangerous and likely to result in an accident in my opinion.

I am happy to use thermals, a big part of hunting for me is actually bringing a decent amount of meat home to the family. With the cost of everything going up so much and having to convince the wife to babysit the kids alone so I can get out occasionally it really is painful coming home empty handed. They do help pick up a lot more animals specially in distant faces covered in matagouri and bracken which are particularly hard to glass effectively with binos. But I always follow up with my binos to identify my target before proceeding further.
    That makes sense.
    55six likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Here's the article from the herald. No real facts though. My understanding is there were 2 separate parties hunting ( most probably illegally at that time of the day although that's an assumption on my part) and one party picked up a heat blob in their thermal and shot it. Sadly it wasn't a deer.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/waikato-n...AUAAZGF5ZZ2UE/
    That is quite sad, something that will forever hold us back. Sort of like WHY do people shoot road signs
    RUMPY likes this.

Now they should revisit the rimfire rules... There's one spot I would love to pop off bunnies and hares (absolutely everywhere) but haven't been able to get a small game permit there.
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BushChook View Post
    Now they should revisit the rimfire rules... There's one spot I would love to pop off bunnies and hares (absolutely everywhere) but haven't been able to get a small game permit there.
    Mt Cook

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Trout likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Mt Cook

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    They are that tame you only need a air rifle.
    kukuwai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    They are that tame you only need a air rifle.
    Semi auto is fun and effective on bunnies

.223 with cheap ammo? Or just get really handy at using a DOC approved bow

.223 with cheap ammo? Or just get really handy at using a DOC approved bow
    Still aiming that .223 at small game, is that allowed?
    Smallest calibre I have in centre fire is .270 anyway and ammo for that isn't cheap.

Still aiming that .223 at small game, is that allowed?
    Smallest calibre I have in centre fire is .270 anyway and ammo for that isn't cheap.
    Pretty sure there is nothing wrong with shooting small game as long as you are shooting in daylight hours with an approved calibre (such as .223) in an area thats away from tracks and huts, where you aren’t going to scare other outdoor users etc
    Micky Duck and BushChook like this.

Pretty sure there is nothing wrong with shooting small game as long as you are shooting in daylight hours with an approved calibre (such as .223) in an area thats away from tracks and huts, where you aren’t going to scare other outdoor users etc
    Name:  Screenshot_2024-06-06-08-21-32-11_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  268.4 KB

MB
    Re: Hunting rules and DOC, to my mind they only care about human safety and protecting native birds which is why they have their rules. If you want to shoot rabbits with a .270, I'm sure they couldn't care less. The Small Game Hunting Permit is about using small calibre rifles and shotguns.
    Micky Duck and Juicy like this.

Also small game permit allows hunting in areas otherwise restricted.,so 22lr ok but big scarey 270 not so much lol
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Just tried to show a comparison, phone pic and thermal pic taken from same place. Cows are in background of thermal shot

Name:  Daytime hind 4 resize.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  122.2 KB

Name:  Daytime hind.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  43.7 KB
    7mmsaum, Tahr, Trout and 1 others like this.

Interesting you need a special permit for a muzzleloader, you still need a license unlike a bow can anyone explain?
    Micky Duck likes this.