Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Hunting fitness

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    1. squat down and back up with large amounts of weight on a regular basis
    2. commute 14km daily on ebike in the Dunedin hills
    3. take gun for a walk at least once a week
    Attachment 259008Attachment 259009Attachment 259010
    A few bags of harden the f__k up for cuppa after the routine
    Micky Duck and Brad S like this.

yip a nice cup of concrete tea and some eggs for desert

On the contrary, I'm training for coast 2 coast run at the moment and am telling my partner that my hunting weekends are actually 'endurance hill sessions'...
    Cowboy, Micky Duck, RUMPY and 2 others like this.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

I train to climb Mount Cook once a year,lugging my 140kgs up n down my 2 story house twice a day x 6days a week.Few months ago I did a speed walking test along the canel.4ks in 40 minutes just to make sure I could walk some distance for a young 70 yr old.Went or a wee hike up Mt John with my wife a few weeks ago,I puffed a bit but I got there.pufpuf.
    Micky Duck, Mathias, RUMPY and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpurdon View Post
    On the contrary, I'm training for coast 2 coast run at the moment and am telling my partner that my hunting weekends are actually 'endurance hill sessions'...
    I'm doing the Coast training too, a decent hunt is definitely training are you doing one day or two?
    jpurdon likes this.

I blow my ass out every hunt and swear to start training every time!!!!
    Trout, 308, Mathias and 3 others like this.

Good thread, thank you. I, for one, detest formalised training of any sort. I keep up my general fitness by incorporating exercise in my daily routine. At 63, it’s important not to overdo it but spread it out over the day and week. I’ll carry out tasks manually instead of using mechanical means eg, there’s another 50t plus of gravel to go on the driveway so I’ll get it in by the trailer load and spread it by hand at a ton or so at a time. I’ll split and carry firewood by hand, push mow the lawns instead of the ride on, carry a day pack, even if it’s just a short hunt and make sure it includes some hill work. One very important thing also is to move with purpose when mobile, especially when you’re older. Don’t dawdle or slob around, it’s habit forming. I think I read something about maintaining your fast twitch muscles and currently I still walk around like I did thirty years ago.
    The one structured thing I have always enjoyed though, is swimming. Got into it late in life but can’t recommend it enough for keeping the whole body limber and good for your mental health as well. In general, I just try to maintain core strength, flexibility, got myself a wobble board after an Achilles injury, to help improve my balance and maintain ankle strength and am currently going down the rabbit hole of stationary trainers for the road bike that’s hanging in the shed. I’ll never ride that on the road again but I think it’ll be worthwhile a couple or three times a week, especially when the weather is shite, to blow the cobwebs out, burn some calories and keep up the knee strength.
    A random mix of everything really.
    308 and RUMPY like this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I'm pretty fit from training/sparring, but for specificity I throw in a couple of hill sprint sessions or stair climb sessions. I have also take to climbing the mount once a week with 15kg in the pack.
    The Mount was a regular for me as well. Used to run up via the goat track, not sure if it is still an option or whether it's been changed? Still, great for a workout and rewarded at the top!
    jpurdon likes this.

Used to run Tauhara as well, that's a hell workout and fantastic views.

I'm very much like @Sidetrack except the swimming after ripping my bicep 20 years ago I lost the amount of movement needed for swimming. Had been a swimmer my whole life up to then.
    RUMPY likes this.

Slowly rebuilding fitness and strength after a knee replacement. I've done all the usual rehab, spin bike, stretches and physio etc. It's amazing the muscle tone you loose. I'm walking 3 to 5k a day I'm a lot slower than before but slowly speeding up. Balance on uneven ground is still a work in progress.
    RUMPY likes this.

Joe rogan kettlebell workout with jumping rope. Full body and high cardio. Works awesome for walking downhill

Well for my part I'm at the gym 3-4 times a week doing 45 minute classes which involve a LOT of cardio moreso than weights, I do actually spend decent sessions on leg work like squats, leg presses etc. It is nice to have a beer after the gym...and this week I've had a beer Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today ROFL. Seriously though...I'm hooked on the gym, 62 next year and while the body still obeys then I'm gonna keep working at it. I'm not climbing goat tracks or being up at the tops like a lot of you fellas and wish i had done so donkeys ago but pretty happy with where I am currently. All hunting for deer that I do is flat land, bush and riverbed stuff etc, absolutely loving the gym work though!.
    Trout, BRADS and Dazzh like this.

Let’s be clear, Soccer is pretty gay!… but I’ve found, taking a soccer ball while you go for a run around the paddock/park/field has its positives. Kick the ball as you run your circuit, keep the ball out in front of you. It takes your mind off the run & allows you to run further, sharpens up coordination, causes you to become more agile on your feet and toughens up your ankles.
    Cowboy and 308 like this.

For folks who don't have a lot experience with (or enthusiasm for) gyms and reginented exercise, I think one of the most important things for maintaining baseline fitness is to find something that fits into your routine and doesn't feel like an intrusion or extra chore to do.

I'm lucky to live in a town with good bike lanes so I can cycle to and from work and I don't feel like I have to make extra time for cardio exercise. For folks with pets, throwing a pack on when you walk the dog or incorporating some jogging is a great way to turn something you'd be doing anyway into staying match-fit.