Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: longer range hunting

Nathan foster is not bad either. Very good books to read.

You may be fine out to 200 yards off your day pack, but may need a bigger scope, range finders and a bi pod If you want to shoot accurately out to 300 - 500 yards - 3 inch to 5 inch groups. What set up do your mates have?

I am going to keep my zero at 100m and just try keep all my shots within 200m. May just leave the boys to their long range stuff and go bush stalking or just pinch one of the 300s. I will shoot off a bipod anyway unless i am in the bush.

Zero at 200 or your shots will be low at bush ranges. Do the math.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy270 View Post
    You may be fine out to 200 yards off your day pack, but may need a bigger scope, range finders and a bi pod If you want to shoot accurately out to 300 - 500 yards - 3 inch to 5 inch groups. What set up do your mates have?
    I HATE shooting off a bipod, plus it's just another awkward bulky item to carry, shoot out to 800 on steel piece off piss off a backpack and regularly shoot animals out past 500 off a backpack also, I'm also not a cowboy and will only pull the trigger if I'm 100% comfortable I know I can put it where I want it, each to their own though. Rangefinder, clicky bits, and knowing shot angle and what the wind is doing is a must though, air pressure is pretty important too past 300 if you want your projectile to go (exactly) where you want it to go.
    gadgetman, mikee, deer243 and 3 others like this.

I would imagine bush shots would be less than 100m so why would they be low? Off for a fallow shoot this weekend down the line and gun is grouping well at 110m(could not find clear line of sight at 100m due to small hills in the paddock haha) and i do not want to injure any.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    I would imagine bush shots would be less than 100m so why would they be low? Off for a fallow shoot this weekend down the line and gun is grouping well at 110m(could not find clear line of sight at 100m due to small hills in the paddock haha) and i do not want to injure any.
    Because the bullet hasn't risen to scope height yet.

cheers mate! will re-sight next time i'm at the farm and just make note of that this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    cheers mate! will re-sight next time i'm at the farm and just make note of that this weekend.
    200-250y zero makes the best use of trajectory and point blank range (aim at the shoulder with no hold high or low) for pretty much all common non magnum deer hunting calibers.
    stingray, GWH, deer243 and 1 others like this.

Hi VC, i used the 200m zero for many years but found i was always aiming 3" low which is tricky to estimate anf you need to be aware whethrr the distance is between 80 to 130 m approx. An extra 3" of error is too much to add to my shooting error so i wouldnt aim bang on.

Changed to 100m zero and now the bullets is within 2cm of the sight line from about 30 to 130m and mostly a bit low if anything. So "is it less than 150m?" "YES" --> then aim exactly where i want to hit and it covers 90% of shots for me. Under 20m you do need to allow for the shot being low whatever zero.
    rossi.45 likes this.

Shes a bloody pedestrian load if you have to aim 3" low with a 200y zero.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Matt2308 likes this.

mate, 2" high at 100m and your good to go. learn to read distances, like flipping rugby fields over etc etc. And stick to inside 300m. Practice will teach you more than what someone on here tells you about what there gun does.

Also, Vortex Diamondback is a good intermediate choice. They have a dial turret and with an app like Strelok, you will be surprised how easy it is to get out further with your shooting.

Keep and eye out for a rangefinder, can get good deals on Trademe, Facebook hunting pages and also the Buy and Sell page on here. I have a Nikon I have had for quite a few years now and it keeps up with the more expensive brands I have tested it against.
    veitnamcam likes this.

With a 150 gr bullet on a load of 2206h a 200 yd zero gives me these impact points. Point of aim at 25 yds, 2 1/2 in high at 100, 3 1/2 in low at 250 and 8in low at 300. So from 25 to 250 the bullet is within 4 inches of aim point, thats plenty for hunting purposes. I do agree that a rangefinder is almost indespensible. One not only gives you accurate ranges but also improves your "eyeballometers"accuracy.