Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Old school hunting

This old geezer is still using the SMELE .303....still accurate ....mind you nowadays it makes a great walking stick...

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    @grandpamac And even later than that. I bought my first centrefire in 1980; a year after I left school. It was an ex WW2 K98 8x57. It cost around $70 and I had to put it on layby because my butchery apprentice wages couldn't afford that cost. I put an old 4x32 Pecar scope on it. It was beaten up and had a very fine crosshair reticle, but again, was all I could afford. But even then, it was mostly BSA's and Parker Hales that were the predominant new rifles we saw in Taranaki.

Funny; to this day I can still remember firing my first ever centrefire shot through that rifle, and the trepidation before I pulled the trigger; I would have been 17. I'd got my gun licence at 16, and because I asn't 18 mum and dad had to agree to me getting it. The only reason they did was because I'd had firearm training in the ATC. They bought me a Stirling .22 for my 16th birthday.

About 2 years later I bought a new Ruger M77 .270 from Sutherland Sports in NP. Cost me $434, and mum hit the roof when I told her the cost! I paid a deposit, put it on laybuy, took it home. I drove to NP every Friday night to put $20 down on it until I'd paid it off!
    You're just a young fella, 10 quid was a good wage in the mid sixties, apprentices about 6.
    bumblefoot likes this.

@BruceY Me too. I've had this rifle for about 2 years now, A BSA 1916 .303 SHTLE III* (FTR), I mostly use this rifle and my Howa 223 now,, The 303 shoots 2" three shot groups

Name:  1916 rifle.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  627.8 KB

And this 1944 SMLE for about 40 years, Was originally my pig bail rifle.

Name:  1944.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  1.34 MB
    john m and kbrebs like this.