Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree678Likes

Thread: A question for the doubters

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Im buggered if I can find the energy figures quoted by @BRADS for the 22CM

Anyone help me out?
    88ELDM 22CM 3,200fps Hornady Ballistic Calculator (G1 bc .545)

300 1397 ft/lb
    400 1233
    500 1084
    600 949

1000. 538

150 Corlokt 308 2800 mv, G1 .314

300 1325
    400 1033
    500 799
    600 618

1000. 301

By comparison a .260 120 grn SST @2,850fps has 1186 at 600 yards.
    Last edited by Tahr; 04-09-2024 at 01:35 PM.
    Micky Duck and whanahuia like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Im buggered if I can find the energy figures quoted by @BRADS for the 22CM

Anyone help me out?
    Hey mate the figures I was looking at last night on yank website were bung obviously I just did it on my phone and only got 22% more energy for the cm@ 500.
    But half the drop and half wind is accurate. Sorry for the bad details there

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    whanahuia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Hey mate the figures I was looking at last night on yank website were bung obviously I just did it on my phone and only got 22% more energy for the cm@ 500.
    But half the drop and half wind is accurate. Sorry for the bad details there

I know. I was just setting you up so I can reply with..........

Probably not the best person to judge what belongs in a museum!

BRADS and Micky Duck like this.

I know. I was just setting you up so I can reply with..........

Probably not the best person to judge what belongs in a museum!

Well played

Micky Duck and whanahuia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I'm a fan of the 22 cal bit I don't think it's accurate.
    I just don't value energy that much. It does however hold sufficient velocity to make the bullet work way further.
    Hit probability of the .22cm is way better all round, all else being equal.

Taurarua Phil is sitting back laughing at us Johny come latelies to using the .224s I seem to recall he used 22-243 for many years....now that's fair honking along but it gave it a 80 grn projectile you almost back to much simpler off the shelf numbers lol
    75/15/10 black powder matters

162grain eldm @ 2550 7mm08 has 1220 Ftlb at 600 yards too. Very mild and light on recoil. There are lots of ways to skin this cat.
    whanahuia and techno retard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mararoa View Post
    162grain eldm @ 2550 7mm08 has 1220 Ftlb at 600 yards too. Very mild and light on recoil. There are lots of ways to skin this cat.
    You pulled your lips off your latte to say 'that'?
    BRADS and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    You pulled your lips off your latte to say 'that'?
    This from the first post: So, to the doubters- What would it take for you to be convinced that a .223 with heavy for caliber (73-88gr) bullets is a LEGITIMATE deer hunting cartridge?

I think the case is well proven but some people will never accept it.
    BRADS, Gibo, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    This from the first post: So, to the doubters- What would it take for you to be convinced that a .223 with heavy for caliber (73-88gr) bullets is a LEGITIMATE deer hunting cartridge?

I'm sold, my daughter got her first with a 55 grain so it was certainly legitimate
    Tahr, Dama dama and Micky Duck like this.

The question of recoil is interesting. There is only 1 paper I've become aware of quantifying this.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...18720817700537

Competent shooters with .223 M4, 6.8 M4, .308 AR10. Shooting from unsupported offhand positions. Hit percentage declines markedly proportionally with increased recoil (~60% 'centre hit' down to ~30%) - even though the .308 in question is quite heavy and muzzle braked which reduces the recoil energy significantly

It is not a perfect study but it makes sense and is the only evidence available for the effect (or otherwise) of recoil on shooter performance.

Interestingly in the thread someone started with attempts at 10 shot 1moa groups, almost every successful contribution is a .223 and I think only a couple of "magnum" sized cartridges have been contributed - which appeared, on the whole, to produce worse precision - but it's a very limited sample. Of course, shooting groups from a rest on a flat range is easier than in the real world - you'd expect any difference to be amplified given the POI shift effects of inconsistent position etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    The question of recoil is interesting. There is only 1 paper I've become aware of quantifying this.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...18720817700537

Competent shooters with .223 M4, 6.8 M4, .308 AR10. Shooting from unsupported offhand positions. Hit percentage declines markedly proportionally with increased recoil (~60% 'centre hit' down to ~30%) - even though the .308 in question is quite heavy and muzzle braked which reduces the recoil energy significantly

It is not a perfect study but it makes sense and is the only evidence available for the effect (or otherwise) of recoil on shooter performance.

Interestingly in the thread someone started with attempts at 10 shot 1moa groups, almost every successful contribution is a .223 and I think only a couple of "magnum" sized cartridges have been contributed - which appeared, on the whole, to produce worse precision - but it's a very limited sample. Of course, shooting groups from a rest on a flat range is easier than in the real world - you'd expect any difference to be amplified given the POI shift effects of inconsistent position etc.
    A heavy rifle of any calibre would also reduce hit percentage off hand
    Last edited by Gibo; 04-09-2024 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    A heavy rifle of any calibre would also reduce hit percentage of hand
    Yeah weight is an unassessed independent variable. It's not a perfect study. Mind you, some people claim a heavier rifle is easier to hold steady offhand - and the weight difference is probably something like 6-7lb for the m4 and 8-9lb for the 308 - probably not in the realm of "too heavy"

That's something we can test easily enough ourselves
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

Of course I see if differently. What ive seen from the thread is that most of us do recognise the 223 as legitimate, and If I havnt made that clear enough before, I do now.

But its not for me! and regardless of it being capable of doing the job. I want something more and feel comfortable with my choice of more energy and momentum at the ranges I, and most people, I think, shoot at.

I sense more frustration from the small cal users, at us stating we wouldn't use a 223 in some circumstances, than I do from those of us with similar opinions of those using small cals.
    Micky Duck and Roarless20 like this.

I sense more frustration from the small cal users, at us stating we wouldn't use a 223 in some circumstances, than I do from those of us with similar opinions of those using small cals.
    For me - there is a lot of terribly bad advice given and nonsense repeated on forums - e.g. "nothing less than a WSM or -06 case will do for killing red deer"

The sufficiency of .223 is a useful proxy to expose the ridiculousness of such positions. I would like to feel that I'm contributing to the community taking an evidence-based approach to beliefs.