Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Which scope should this newbie buy?

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Got away with that twice last weekend at -very last- light. First shot 368 yds and I could just make it out through the Geovids. Looking through the Z5 which has a 4A, couldn't make out the fine crosshairs but enough with the wider sidebars to do the job. ~10X was the max power I could use, anything higher was too dark.

Following night using the VX3 2.5-8 plex on the Bushpig, exact same situation at about 150yds. The stag was just visible and used the side bars again for the same result.

Dunno why they were so cautious as no-one had been shooting at them for at least a month, more like six weeks actually.
    Off topic, but this illustrates the big advantage illumination has in low light.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bjp View Post
    I recently got back into shooting (after almost 20 years away) and bought a Vixen V1 3-12x40 that I have been very happy with. Japanese-made I understand - just like the Howa! Not sure if we are supposed to post links, I'm a newbie here, but here's where I got it:

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Opt...dot+5940.html?

Bear in mind I am comparing it to a Tasco and a Weaver scope from the 1990's... but the optics seem great, even at low light.
    Vixen 3-12 is great value and nice and simple. With BDC reticle good to 400
    Shearer and jaacko like this.

TLB
    Burris have a good warranty and are generally pretty reliable scopes. I personally wouldn't go with the droptine but the next line up should see you ok. Holdover reticle too if you do want to shoot further at some point. Burris Fullfield IV 2.5-10x42.
    Or if funds, allowed stepping up to the Burris signature hd line would allow you to dial up down the track.
    jaacko likes this.

Less is more.
    3-9by 40 leupold or Burris be plenty
    Micky Duck and jaacko like this.

Another vote for VX-Freedom 3-9x40. Simple. Good quality. Won't break the bank.
    jaacko likes this.

If I bought again id prob get a leupold vx3 with 3x being the lowest zoom (good for bush and low light) up to 10 or 12 or so. Doubt youd need more than that with 6.5 CM ranges. As for rifle, I used to have a howa 1500 in 308 and now have a tikka superlite in 6.5 CM. In my mind the tikka is much nicer. My howa could never get under 1 inch groups at 100 no matter what ammo I tried, it also used to change point of aim with and without bipod and with and without supressor it was also a bit of a brick weight wise. The tikka shoots 0.5 inch groups first ammo I tried, no point of aim shifts at all, and lovely smooth action. In saying that I may have had a dud howa and there is a pretty big price difference to consider. Those carbon stock howas are very light and seem nice.
    jaacko likes this.

Quite simply a scope should be your no1 piece of equipment

Definitely buy once cry once

Scopes have come along way in the last 5yrs… vx1/ 2/ 3 are IMO obsolete if you are into shooting over 300yds

Burris has great HD optics
    Leupold has great HD optics
    There’s also the Swaro z3 and z5 with unmatched reliability

All depends on your budget but I’d go vx5 3-15x44 as a lifetime scope if I was to buy one
    jaacko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Vixen 3-12 is great value and nice and simple. With BDC reticle good to 400
    These here are great then you have spare money for a cheap "sndwy" or whatever they are called rangefinder, zero the gun using the 400 holdover mark at 400 after sighting in at 100 and your good to go out to 400 nice and easy, best of luck
    Shearer and jaacko like this.