Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: For Those Who Have Used Your PLB

That’s not to say, you’re not going to get a pretty frank please explain phone call and education if your situation doesn’t turn out to be some kind of evolving/current emergency or duress.
    All jobs are debriefed back to RCC in this regard.
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Thanks for that guys. Mine's coming out of the pack, onto a belt I am about to buy.

I've used mine once in the three years I've been doing wilderness stuff.

Took family including my mother to a DOC Hut accessible by 4WD, great few days until we were 200-300m from the track at a watering hole and my mother somehow hurt her back. Wasn't able to move at all, then went into shock.

My partner at the time was a ED nurse so handled the first aid and stabilisation, while I handled the kid, and brothers (one of who also went into weird denial type of shock. He tried to stop us helping and kept saying there was nothing wrong) After 15min maybe of seeing if mum was gonna be able to move or be carried we realised she was in too much pain and risk was too high, and that trying to get her to the track and 4WD wasn't going to happen. Dark was less than an hour away and it started to rain.

No-one else could make a decision, so I did and pulled my PLB. 45min later West Coast Chopper got there, kept in hospital overnight. Scans showed serious damage to her back and she kept going in and out of shock for the next couple days.

Very glad I used the PLB.

An interesting observation I have that is in a crisis lots of people make making decisions really hard. You need a single person in charge. So now I make it really clear to people what my medical plan is for a trip, or if they are planning I ask them to explain theirs so they know they are in charge of making decisions.

I learnt this a year prior to this PLB incident when I was stuck in a river in my 4WD with a mate and my brother. Water was literally over the seats, and wheels were spinning trying to get out. I remember being pretty sure the right thing to try next was to swing the ute downstream and come out on the bend, I spent a few minutes trying to get group consensus, eventually telling the other two to get out, and did it myself. And sure enough that was the way to get the ute out.

When my mum had her accident I remember thinking of that right time away and when everyone was frozen (including the ED nurse), I told them "I'm making the call, and it's on me. I'm using the PLB."
    308, Micky Duck, Localman and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    Thanks for that guys. Mine's coming out of the pack, onto a belt I am about to buy.
    Don't put your PLB on your belt.
    Speaking from experience anything on the outside of your body gets wrecked when you fall a long way down a mountain.

Hanging around your neck and down the front of your shirt is the safest place.
    You will naturally curl up too protect yourself and the PLB will be safest there
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Average-Lad View Post

Took family including my mother to a DOC Hut accessible by 4WD, great few days until we were 200-300m from the track at a watering hole and my mother somehow hurt her back. Wasn't able to move at all, then went into shock.

My partner at the time was a ED nurse so handled the first aid and stabilisation, while I handled the kid, and brothers (one of who also went into weird denial type of shock. He tried to stop us helping and kept saying there was nothing wrong) After 15min maybe of seeing if mum was gonna be able to move or be carried we realised she was in too much pain and risk was too high, and that trying to get her to the track and 4WD wasn't going to happen. Dark was less than an hour away and it started to rain.

No-one else could make a decision, so I did and pulled my PLB. 45min later West Coast Chopper got there, kept in hospital overnight. Scans showed serious damage to her back and she kept going in and out of shock for the next couple days.

An interesting observation I have that is in a crisis lots of people make making decisions really hard. You need a single person in charge. So now I make it really clear to people what my medical plan is for a trip, or if they are planning I ask them to explain theirs so they know they are in charge of making decisions.

I learnt this a year prior to this PLB incident when I was stuck in a river in my 4WD with a mate and my brother. Water was literally over the seats, and wheels were spinning trying to get out. I remember being pretty sure the right thing to try next was to swing the ute downstream and come out on the bend, I spent a few minutes trying to get group consensus, eventually telling the other two to get out, and did it myself. And sure enough that was the way to get the ute out.

When my mum had her accident I remember thinking of that right time away and when everyone was frozen (including the ED nurse), I told them "I'm making the call, and it's on me. I'm using the PLB."
    You're spot on there, I've seen so many examples of death by committee. Not litterial death thankfully but so many good ideas get buried because people want 100% agreement and don't have the balls to do what you did.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Don't put your PLB on your belt.
    Speaking from experience anything on the outside of your body gets wrecked when you fall a long way down a mountain.

Hanging around your neck and down the front of your shirt is the safest place.
    You will naturally curl up too protect yourself and the PLB will be safest there
    I like mine in a pouch on my bino harness along with a few medical things, very rare that I take that off while hunting.
    Codeman likes this.

Yep, mine is in a pouch on a strong belt so always got it if you drop your pack. Yes I have used it. Out helping a farmer out culling goats that were eating his newly planted pines. Foot slipped on a greasy sheep track and got wedged as I fell on it. Dislocated ankle and broken fibula. On my own and bike 700mtr away so set it off straight away. Chopper over me in 30min. One year on acc as it didn't heal so back for a plate 12 screws and bone graft. Coming along pretty good now and went for a great hunt last week. No you don't pay for the chopper ride. They probably do appreciate the annual donation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Average-Lad View Post

This is a very good point

One of the problems with emegencies is recognising that it is an emergency in the first place