Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Wapiti Roadshow

The future is in fact lobbyists and lawsuits serving the wants of the few at the top and at times not even remotely addressing the issue at hand/debate. As me how I know.
    My fear would be that the wapiti of Fiordland are akin to the sheep of the western US where most of the work is done by the working class whilst those at the top reap the rewards...see governors and raffle tags in the US. I'm not sure where the list of successful Wapiti lottery applicants is held but I wonder who draws every year and who has to wait 20 years for a tag...however I'm sure everything here is on the up and up as y'all seem to have much of it dialed in as far as togetherness is concerned. Proud to be here. I'll be at the Nelson viewing.
    Micky Duck likes this.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Objectively viewed, I wonder if they actually had a net gain of members because of the Wapiti stance? It might well contra what they lose? But I simply don't know. Suggesting this because they have a very strong membership in Wellington which is Green central.
    Good point, how many traps will a greenie in wellington help set up in fjordland? they do love their virtue-signalling and wanting to ban other people from doing stuff... whether people like that make for a strong base in memberships is a different matter... Keep in mind there are not that many greenies out there, they just like to scream louder than the rest and pretend they are...

As for if they gained members you are right we do not know.

The fact that they pulled out of that "election" thingy, and that they "paused" their legal action are interesting data points however that point that the backlash might have been stronger than what they originally anticiapted. But that is just an interpretation.

I went to Methven last night, bloody pleased I did and wel worth it!. I saw the 1st screening which went for a good 45mins, Willie did the introduction and said after the screenings there would be further guests and much more info about what was happening with this saga.

The old and new footage was priceless, was bloody good to exit the theater and pass the next crowd waiting to see the 2nd screening. I didn't go to the blue pub to hear the extra info as needed to get home. I highly recommend seeing it!.
    Micky Duck likes this.

there is good article in latest NZHunter with interview of woman who is member of both organisations and who organises trap lines down there..well worth the time to read it..might put some fears off to bed.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yup, I went to the Methven one last night, great night, very informative. Methven was the first sold out show. Three viewings, 5pm kids with caregiver for a gold coin donation, and then 2 viewings after for all us keen hunters. Place was packed. And then after that, it was off to Samuels Bar at the Blue Pub for Roys presentation, along with Tim Gale from the GAC. Followed by an auction for donated prizes which was well supported and brought in a lot of money for the FWF.
    All in all an excellent night, and so bloody good to see such a big crowd there supporting the Foundation. Theres tough times ahead and these guys were able to put our perspective across very well. Thank you to the NZ Hunter crew, Roy Sloan and all the hardworking volunteers in the FWF, Tim Gale, and all the others leading the good fight.

For what it's worth, I'm a greens voter who also supports the wapiti foundation. While there are definitely some absolute fuckwits it's not a monolithic block, just like every other political group. And I've had significantly better results talking to people about the shared conservation efforts and love of the outdoors than anything else.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Wanted to go here but can't get off work early so having to miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Wanted to go here but can't get off work early so having to miss it.
    Was certainly worth viewing, you may get another opportunity to see it locally in the future
    Happy Jack likes this.
    Contact me for reloading components, brass, projectiles, powder, primers, etc

http://terminatorproducts.co.nz/

http://www.youtube.com/user/Terminat...?feature=guide

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Was certainly worth viewing, you may get another opportunity to see it locally in the future
    That would be good.
    Kiwi Greg likes this.
    Happy Jack.

Aucklanders - roadshow arrives this wednesday 10th 6:30pm @ NZDA Clubrooms 7 Target St. Pt Chevalier
    Get your tickets online or doorsales as well.
    Dont miss out, by all reports well worth coming to
    The Foundation need your support.

In Hamilton on the 9th apparently.

Went to the Dunedin event. Good turnout and informative presentations.

My interpretation of the take-home messages, for those unable to attend or considering attendance:
    - Success (or otherwise) of the FWF model may predict success (or otherwise) of future herds of special interest, which may include: Sika, Tahr, Chamois, Whitetail, Sambar, certain Fallow herds (Greenstone/Blue Mtns come to mind) etc. This is a large proportion of the animals we all love to hunt, therefore we should all care about the FWF cause.
    - FWF are very good at what they do (managing a herd of Wapiti/conservation/etc) but maybe not so good at what F&B do (public relations and story telling). FWF are getting hunters on board, but the next step is preaching to the non-converted. We should all be going to the roadshow events where possible so we can fully understand the strategic messaging and how we can most effectively convert the non-converted.
    - F&B have something they fight for (conservation of forests and birds...) but need something to fight against - albeit misguided, this happens to be FWF right now.
    - F&B will capitalise on any unclear/fuzzy messaging. This means we need to be laser focused on what we want to achieve and how we tell that story. Fringe messaging like ban-1080, anti-DOC, political angst, insert whatever your pet-hate is here, will be unhelpful at best and provide F&B with valuable material at worst.
    - It's important we make a considered and concerted effort to help FWF achieve their goals so that we can achieve ours - better hunting and healthier environments for NZers.

Just my interpretation and extrapolation of what was said. Get along and find out for yourselves if you can.

Very well put @Edunn
    Edunn likes this.
    Happy Jack.