Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 17 hornet

I am pretty keen on one, I need to get a job next year I really need one.
    VIVA LA HOWA

17 hornet

The bullet used is too frangible for goats Toby. It can expand too quickly without penetrating to the vitals...especially if it strikes a rib or other bone.
    Used the .17hmr on foxes in the UK on occasion when for certain reasons .223AI was inappropriate and had to be really careful with shot placement...almost always head shots as penetration was sometimes an issue and following up a wounded animal is one of my least favourite past times.

If I used on goats it would only ever be head shots just like the .22lr. but dont worry guys I doubt I will ever own a .17 Hornet in my life
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Can anyone find for the money/quality a .223 suppressed package better the Howa? I cant and starting to think the are the best deals in NZ.
    Savage for me, Sportways often have sharp deals. Like this: http://www.gunshed.co.nz/11-internat...hunter-223rem/

Obviously personal taste and fit/feel plays a big part in a rifle, seriously go and check out / hold a few different models to see what you like instead of just asking the internet what to buy. New Marlins and the Ruger American are supposed to be pretty good too at budget prices but I haven't looked at them personally.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 05-11-2012 at 12:16 AM.

I want something with a suppressor though. My mates 7mmremag Howa is alright so with knowing about his and being told by the guys here I am pretty confident.

Its a toss up from the package deal on trade me or the package deal on Guncity the Axis but meh.
    VIVA LA HOWA

You can get whatever you buy suppressed after you buy it, that way you're not limited to whichever brand of suppressor the shop you buy it from sells and you can spread costs out a bit if $ is an issue. The Axis is a bit lame, its basically a Savage with most of the good bits removed.

Yeah that is what I heard, The Axis I used felt a bit weird too, and had a really annoying safety behind the bolt.
    VIVA LA HOWA

hard to go past a howa really. those gunworks packages are a damn good idea.
    strong proven action, good trigger, good barrel, stock as all production rifles in its price range leaves a little to be desired

the new axis and marlins just seem like they are built to a $ amount rather than a standard.
    CreepingDeath and Toby like this.

If you're looking at package deals the Howa comes with a Nikko scope doesn't it? Compared with a Weaver on that (proper not axis) Savage I linked above. Strong proven action, excellent trigger, good barrel, agreed about cheaper synthetic stocks in general.

Really we're spoilt for choice at the moment with plenty of decent cheap rifles around, either way it sounds like you already made your mind up.

I kept an eye on what was around and scored a bargain on a Savage American Classic 223, bare rifle for $750 brand new. Really nice rifle, haven't taken photos or had a chance to even fire it yet but its one of these: Savage Arms

The main thing about the howa is $1250 is a Howa,scope,gunbag and suppressor. I have to say there is nothing wrong with nikko strling I have one on my 6.5x55 and .303 and both hold it under 1inch at 100m.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Yeah $1250 with the suppressor is a good price. Nikkos are decent enough for what they cost, I have a couple but Weavers are much nicer.

honestly for that price throw the rings and scope on a 22, or at a wall.

I asked if it was cheeper without and they politely said no that is how they come from the importer

I love the fact that they thread them before they leave, that is a golden sales trick but also damn handy down the road when its time to suppress it

If I used on goats it would only ever be head shots just like the .22lr. but dont worry guys I doubt I will ever own a .17 Hornet in my life
    I do a lot of hunting with the 17HMR. I've done some penetration tests with it so have a fair idea what it can and can't do.
    It'd be pretty cruel to even try on a goat with the 17 grain jelly tips. The bullet probably couldn't even make it far through the thick hair of a billy. They basically weld themselves flat and distinigrate if you hit something, hard or soft. The 17 grain can't make it through thin check-plate steel at 100m, but the 20 grainers sail right through (that's the difference in bullet construction).

Given the huge amount they are effected by even a light breeze, headshots are a bad idea. The 20 grain hollow points will make it through the skull easily... but the old saying "Use enough gun" is always applicable. Did you say you had a 6.5? Perfect for goats!

Regarding the Howa's, I reckon they're a pretty good value buy. I've shot one. Very nearly bought one (but got talked into a Savage 14 American). Given they're already threaded... that saves you $100. Good value guns, nice and short and easy to handle, and they shoot pretty well too. I'm a bit of a fan of those Hogue stocks too. You could do a lot worse than a Howa

Yeah I have a 6.5 but I dont hunt goats much, I cull them more then anything so ammo has to be cheap.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Yeah I have a 6.5 but I dont hunt goats much, I cull them more then anything so ammo has to be cheap.
    You wait until you've learned to roll your own
    Factory ammo for my 7mm is $2-$2.50 a shot. I can reload it for about a buck. Makes a big difference. The 6.5 I imagine would be about the same.