Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 223 tight chambering?

How about whoever FL resized them didn’t have die adjusted correctly. Why put them through Lee Classic neck sizing die after they supposedly been FL sized?

My 2 cents
    I dont do neck sizing any more ,just full length to suit chamber of rifle.
    Utube is your friend.
    Had some issues with neck sizing similar to the lines shown on your necks.
    Check length after a few firings.
    If factory ammo is loading ok you might want to consider chucking that old brass and start with new or once fired brass.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    How about whoever FL resized them didn’t have die adjusted correctly. Why put them through Lee Classic neck sizing die after they supposedly been FL sized?
    You kind of have to run them into the lee whackamole dies again in order prime them and seat the bullet using the lee classic loader sets. It wont really change the shape of the brass much as the neck should already be down to size using the FL die.

You need to FL resize any brass thats been once fired in another rifle before using it in a lee whackamole set which is what they have done obviously. Somethings gone wrong in the FL resizing. Surely either the FL die has not bumped the shoulder back enough or the case hasn’t been trimmed enough. I dont think putting it in the lee whakamole die would have affected the brass further in any way.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Correct.the only thing possibly wrong is I may have allowed die to creep back up so will run them back through making sure the die n base are in hard contact...that SHOULD fix any issues. And yes by using whackamole to prime n seat ,you only miss out the deprime step. 99% sure I checked dozen cases of same batch at random and all were well under maximum length using both calipers and Lee trimmer.will do so again.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

My guess is it’s a case length issue. Based on the fact that the OP said some of the cases were longer than 44.7 which is book max. The Lee case trimmer guide should trim them down to around 44.4mm or so according to the packet. Also the pictures with the vivid on the case didn’t show any shoulder contact. Also the end of the case looks a bit mashed as if its rammed up against the end of the chamber. Ive had something very similar happen using a manual set case trimmer where I swear I trimmed just below book max but I had tight chambering. Next time I just got a lee case trimmer, used the guide, it took a reasonable amount of brass off each case. After that chambering was all good.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Found issue and fook me that raised my eyebrows. My case trimmer WAS out of spec. Too long,carefully ground the tiny amount off tit and now cases measure correct or tiny flyshit under after retrim and referring...I've used said trimmer for twenty years no issue in my rifle.just goes to show,assume nothing.
    RUMPY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Found issue and fook me that raised my eyebrows. My case trimmer WAS out of spec. Too long,carefully ground the tiny amount off tit and now cases measure correct or tiny flyshit under after retrim and referring...I've used said trimmer for twenty years no issue in my rifle.just goes to show,assume nothing.
    Have you checked them in the rifle?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

In mine yes. Rumpys..not yet.

Have retrimmed fifteen cases. Have niggling doubt in mind..just a niggle.if my fancy pants measuring tool is wrong,may now own a too short trimming insert. Will wait till engineering savvy RUMPY pops over this arvo with different measuring stick.its got to be something really simple or I would've struck issue before now.

“You kind of have to run them into the lee whackamole dies again in order prime them and seat the bullet using the lee classic loader sets. It wont really change the shape of the brass much as the neck should already be down to size using the FL die.”

@Juisy. Probably 20+ years since I used my Lee Classic Dies but I’m pretty sure you tap case out of die and sit case on priming tool with die loosely You kind of have to run them into the lee whackamole dies again in order prime them and seat the bullet using the lee classic loader sets. It wont really change the shape of the brass much as the neck should already be down to size using the FL die.sitting on top of case to act as powder funnel then use as guide for seating bullet with priming anvil tool. Only going by memory but I’ve done hundreds of 223 & 308 with those things. I would still suspect FL die wasn’t adjusted right or cases are over length.
    RUMPY likes this.

Which begs next question....what actually IS over length??? I have numerous different answers in hard copy loading manuals from 1.750 trim to in Winchester book to 1.765 in new vitavouri manual.1.760" seems to be most popular length.

SAAMI max cart length is 44.7 mm.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....76/index2.html
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Which begs next question....what actually IS over length??? I have numerous different answers in hard copy loading manuals from 1.750 trim to in Winchester book to 1.765 in new vitavouri manual.1.760" seems to be most popular length.
    A lot of cheap measuring gear that a lot of people have would barely be accurate enough to measure 5 thou. difference. Haven’t seen a Lee trim gauge that doesn’t trim to length when screwed into hider all the way.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Issue resolved.was my bad. I had maybe at very most half mm between die n case holder. Screwed die down further and squished case down that tiny bit more and suddenly chambering perfectly . The inertia puller can sort the few already loaded. So only casualty is my Lee trimmer insert now being tiny bit too short.i can work around that by unscrewing a tiny bit. Overall case lengths were not enough to be issue,which I originally believed then second guessed myself.
    RUMPY and Juicy like this.

Greetings,
    Out of interest I went out and measured a couple of R-P new .223 cases out of my stash. They measured 44.52mm or a bit shorter than the cartridge max of 44.7mm. I trim cases every load and trim to 44.6mm. I also size cases for a shoulder bump of 0.05mm so case stretching is minimal. One of my rifles does this with the standard shell holder and the other needs the + 0.002" one. In short if factory loads chamber OK and handloads do not then the handloads are the problem. It is just a matter of finding where the tight bit is. Trim your case, give the chamber a good clean and don't ignore the seating depth of the projectile. Some of those .223 chambers are short and projectile differ from batch to batch. Current Hornady projectiles need to be seated deeper in my experience.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    RUMPY likes this.