Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: .270 is the best caliber ever made.

If you happy using rifle and confident it will hit where you aim and kill what you hit...half the battle is already won. If I'm umming and ahhhing at gun cabinet door deciding what rifle to take,my long suffering but very wise wife has been known to say " don't fook around,take the .270".... She is a wise woman and knows when I do,the freezer stays full. And that is all that matters.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    But it’s long enough.

But to get the most out of it you want the long action.

Just can’t understand the phobia on carrying a long action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Especially not when nearly everyone has a Tikka, as mentioned earlier. and the biggest issue with the new long heavy projectiles is mag length.

There is one piece of modern tech that I really like and is a real positive. Carbon stocks. In perceived portability, way more important than length of action and barrel, is weight.
    Dama dama, erniec and 30.06king like this.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    its a wonder the 6.5 06 hasnt caught on for a flat shooter and same sized case, I guess because no factory ammo
    Greetings @blip and all,
    I have worked with the 6.5-06 quite a bit and it is a great cartridge. It is, however, a handloading proposition and not for the novice either. It was briefly a factory cartridge in the US and now lives on as the 6.5x64 (6.5-270) in Europe. Handloading data is all over the place ranging from dangerously hot for the older stuff to quite timid for some of the more recent. The 6.5-284 or the 6.5PRC would be less trouble.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    blip likes this.

To consider whether something is "the best" requires assessment criteria. In the world of selecting a cartridge, there is very rarely a single clear "best" option assessed against criteria, more like a large group of more or less equal options. Different people have different criteria, and they change over time

My criteria don't leave .270 at, or near, the top of the list for me.

I have recommended it to newer hunters who don't reload etc, mainly because like more or less any centrefire cartridge it will kill deer, and there are a lot of cheap rifles, and it isn't as shit as .308

I shortened the barrel to 19 inches and put a suppreser on my rem700 270 a few years ago and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    I need to have more of these type of discussions. Every time I do I seem to get a big boar.
    I saw some young pigs a few days back up a gorgy small river. One of our farm staff is training up some pig dog pups and so tonight I said to him, lets go see if we can get onto them. Plan was I drop him off down river and then boost it upstream too some bluffs while he hunted the dogs on up. First system where id seen the pigs, and no result. I headed off again to come out on another high bluff over looking the river and there were 7 pigs out in the open. I waited quietly for his dogs too arrive and they latched on to an 80lb boar, and then I let rip at 150lb boar as he tried to escape. High shot entry shooting down but result was the same with centre of lungs and top of heart destroyed and he went straight too the ground. It was about a 90 meter shot of my knee.
    lets be real. there are a number of calibers that would have achieved that at that range. creed more,308, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57, rem mag, 300 win for example.
    But I stuck the 270 in the middle of that list for a reason, it can compete with the bigger rounds while still not having overtly more recoil than the others.

This Saturday I helped my mate get his first deer. 230m with a strong wind - maybe 30- 40kmph. Having a capped scope on the .270 I put a photo up of earlier, I told him to give it a good foot to the left for the wind and hold 20 cm high for the drop. He dutifully did so. The elevation was good but shot was just a slight bit back from the crease unfortunately, I may have underestimated the wind or it may have been the shooter. Nonetheless the .270 Win had enough energy going through that 130gr SST alright. Watching through the binos I saw the deer drop right on the spot and take the full impact of the bullet. The deer suffered huge collateral damage even though the shot was not in the perfect spot.

I think that is an advantage to a fast travelling round with the appropriately designed bullet on it like the .270 Win. You get that bit of wiggle room to ensure a humane kill when you take the shot in challenging conditions.
    GSP HUNTER, Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Floundering Around View Post
    This Saturday I helped my mate get his first deer. 230m with a strong wind - maybe 30- 40kmph. Having a capped scope on the .270 I put a photo up of earlier, I told him to give it a good foot to the left for the wind and hold 20 cm high for the drop. He dutifully did so. The elevation was good but shot was just a slight bit back from the crease unfortunately, I may have underestimated the wind or it may have been the shooter. Nonetheless the .270 Win had enough energy going through that 130gr SST alright. Watching through the binos I saw the deer drop right on the spot and take the full impact of the bullet. The deer suffered huge collateral damage even though the shot was not in the perfect spot.

I think that is an advantage to a fast travelling round with the appropriately designed bullet on it like the .270 Win. You get that bit of wiggle room to ensure a humane kill when you take the shot in challenging conditions.
    The "problem" is there are no decent high BC bullet for the .277cal, which is why the 270 is declining in popularity.
    The average hunter who shoots inside of 250m 100% of the time it doesn't really matter, but more and more people like to push it out further on steel, or just think they need the added performance.

How fast is your 130gr SST going in the 270?

If you compare the 130 SST @ 3100fps it'll have more wind drift than a 130gr ELDM at 2900fps (from a 260 or similar), which would've helped in the above scenario.
    A buy less energy buy still more than enough.
    A 6.5PRC or a 6.5-284 would easily out perform the 270.

It's not like 270 is a POS, but it's an old case design with worse bullets than a 6.5 or 7mm.
    For 99% of hunters it's all they will ever need and gives good performance with lots of factory ammo available.

But 270 is an objectively worse cartridge than more modern designs.
    BRADS likes this.

I guess what all of this shows is that hunters who can kill animals with a 270win are more skillful than those that kill animals with superior cartridges.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

This thread makes me want to buy a 270

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Hard to ignore this one, not mine...
    Parker Hale HUSSAR .270 rifle https://www.trademe.co.nz/4965374164
    308 likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Due to the exorbitant cost of reloading components, warning shots will not be given.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    There are 86 for sale on Trademe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Hard to ignore this one, not mine...
    Parker Hale HUSSAR .270 rifle https://www.trademe.co.nz/4965374164
    Not silly. Brno action 270. If the bore is as good as he reckons that would be a good old classic. Wouldn't be worried about garking up thr stock.
    Looked at the pics and was confused by the cocking piece until I read the description
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    There are 86 for sale on Trademe.
    Good time to buy

Due to the exorbitant cost of reloading components, warning shots will not be given.

Throwing sunlight on the 270.

https://youtu.be/3TseXgry81o?si=Me215Pluzf40lqLe
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    Love that guy..great contrast to the usual bluster and over dramatized self-aggrandizing bullshitting with milk bottles we so often get on vids lol
    GSP HUNTER likes this.