Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: .270 is the best caliber ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    The "problem" is there are no decent high BC bullet for the .277cal, which is why the 270 is declining in popularity.
    The average hunter who shoots inside of 250m 100% of the time it doesn't really matter, but more and more people like to push it out further on steel, or just think they need the added performance.

How fast is your 130gr SST going in the 270?

If you compare the 130 SST @ 3100fps it'll have more wind drift than a 130gr ELDM at 2900fps (from a 260 or similar), which would've helped in the above scenario.
    A buy less energy buy still more than enough.
    A 6.5PRC or a 6.5-284 would easily out perform the 270.

It's not like 270 is a POS, but it's an old case design with worse bullets than a 6.5 or 7mm.
    For 99% of hunters it's all they will ever need and gives good performance with lots of factory ammo available.

But 270 is an objectively worse cartridge than more modern designs.
    I agree with you and that's why I have a 7mm Rem Mag running 162gr ELD-X's for when I know ill be shooting further or in windier conditions. There certainly are more modern cartridge's out there which will out perform the .270 win in every regard, but there are some advantages to the old girl which I discussed in earlier replies in this thread such as component availability, cheaper second hand market etc. I still think it is a good cartridge for the shooter looking for an all rounder for 'standard' hunting applications - sub 300m or so. I think we are singing from the same song sheet with regards to the practicality of the 270 win.

It is running 2962.6 fps out of a 22.5 inch barrel btw. I have struggled to get it faster with that barrel length without seeing pressure signs.
    GSP HUNTER, Beetroot and Poko like this.

I think the 270 is far better than a 300 m rifle. Take for example the 145 gr ELDX it’s BC is .536 which isn’t the greatest but it ain’t to shabby, I have these going at 3050 fps av which makes them pretty effective out past 300 m. In any case these days with dial up scopes there isn’t any problem winding on a few extra elevation clicks to take you out a lot further.
    Other calibres do out perform the old girl but she isn’t dead and gone yet and I doubt we will see it’s demise in our lifetimes.

To moosemans point on range. The old girl still holds her own with the likes of eldx or sst out 400 no problem.

Name:  Screenshot_20241015_064122_YouTube.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  496.4 KB
    Mooseman, takbok and whanahuia like this.

If you can actually get those velocity s with the PRC. The two people I know with them cant.
    takbok likes this.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Unsophisticated... AF!

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    If you can actually get those velocity s with the PRC. The two people I know with them cant.
    I am getting 3050 fps with my Tikka 270 22 inch barrel not 2960 fps in the example so that would improve the reading somewhat.
    GSP HUNTER and takbok like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I am getting 3050 fps with my Tikka 270 22 inch barrel not 2960 fps in the example so that would improve the reading somewhat.
    Heck

Heck what

3050 with a 145 is hootin

How long is ya brass lasting

At the moment it’s lasting well, as I don’t use the 270 a lot. Once suppressed it will be used more often. Since I have used this load I haven’t had problems with brass but most likely will when used more. Just full length size and trim if needed. Superformance powder is the only powder that I have found that will push those heavier bullets over 3000 fps, it is a max load in my rifle.

Also interesting to see backfire Jim's critsizm of the design thoughts behind the 7mmPRC.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

7mm rem mag all the way for a mountain calibre, with big long barrel. Put the suppressor on when you need it.

My mate had an old lightweight wood blued Winchester 270, printed clover leaf groups with it with factory ammo, saw him deck two deer with one good neck shot on both. I think He sold it for 300 bucks . wish I bought it, that old Winchester had an x-factor…Like the picture in this thread, some nice ones around if you can find them.
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    At the moment it’s lasting well, as I don’t use the 270 a lot. Once suppressed it will be used more often. Since I have used this load I haven’t had problems with brass but most likely will when used more. Just full length size and trim if needed. Superformance powder is the only powder that I have found that will push those heavier bullets over 3000 fps, it is a max load in my rifle.
    Superformance and RL26 is definitely the way to go for performance in these mid sized cartridges.
    I decided against the wiz bang powders, partially due to temperature sensitivity but most due to availability was unreliable at best.
    Dicko, 25/08 IMP and TimC like this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I own and use one.if I didn't I would own another .308 or a 30/06 I need say no more.
    I own two 30.06s.
    If I didn't I'd own a 308 and 270, the son and daughter of the 30.06.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
    A bit more bang is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    This thread makes me want to buy a 270
    I came out of the closet a while ago, it hurts at first but they do accept you after a while. Owning a .308 and .270 is just accepted as being Bi-polar*
    GSP HUNTER and TimC like this.