Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: .270 is the best caliber ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by turtleSO View Post
    I came out of the closet a while ago, it hurts at first but they do accept you after a while. Owning a .308 and .270 is just accepted as being Bi-polar*
    I'm so deep in the closet I've fuckin found Narnia
    Jhon, Basenjiboy, Zedrex and 1 others like this.

Not really, for my money...and my style of hunting (and I stress HUNTING not target shooting at 500 yards) the .243 is hard to walk past, cheap to run, flat trajectory, good out to 300 metres on anything NZ has to offer with the exception of Wapiti. It's comparatively light (a real relevance as I tend to walk in/up the hills rather than ride) what else, oh yeah, doesn't waste meat all reasons the caliber was popular with the deer cullers back in the day. As for more modern stuff like Needmore...say no more and lastly....it keeps you on your game, big calibers just make for lazy hunters, I have heard so many times "If I hit it, it's gonna die" from hunters walking around with glorified canons, no finesse.

Side note: whilst the above IS my opinion.....I'm also a smart arse so if you're inclined to be offended by my post....don't be, it's all tongue in cheek
    GSP HUNTER, Jhon and TimC like this.
    expect nothing, appreciate everything - and there's ALWAYS something to appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by Poko View Post
    7mm rem mag all the way for a mountain calibre, with big long barrel. Put the suppressor on when you need it.

My mate had an old lightweight wood blued Winchester 270, printed clover leaf groups with it with factory ammo, saw him deck two deer with one good neck shot on both. I think He sold it for 300 bucks . wish I bought it, that old Winchester had an x-factor…Like the picture in this thread, some nice ones around if you can find them.
    Grab the 243 in forsale section...
    Zedrex and Poko like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Zedrex View Post
    Not really, for my money...and my style of hunting (and I stress HUNTING not target shooting at 500 yards) the .243 is hard to walk past, cheap to run, flat trajectory, good out to 300 metres on anything NZ has to offer with the exception of Wapiti. It's comparatively light (a real relevance as I tend to walk in/up the hills rather than ride) what else, oh yeah, doesn't waste meat all reasons the caliber was popular with the deer cullers back in the day. As for more modern stuff like Needmore...say no more and lastly....it keeps you on your game, big calibers just make for lazy hunters, I have heard so many times "If I hit it, it's gonna die" from hunters walking around with glorified canons, no finesse.

Side note: whilst the above IS my opinion.....I'm also a smart arse so if you're inclined to be offended by my post....don't be, it's all tongue in cheek
    I'd shoot a Wap with a .243 or other 6mm using a good bullet no worries at all
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'd shoot a Wap with a .243 or other 6mm using a good bullet no worries at all
    ok, good to know, I'm still learning what the limits of my Franchi are, for bigger game like big red's and Wap what would you suggest as a bullet that'll give certain knock down at say 300 metres
    expect nothing, appreciate everything - and there's ALWAYS something to appreciate

One you can poke into its lungs. It's been said wap are no harder to kill than reds.vitals are bigger but still similar amount of skin n bone protecting them. So,not a varmits pill and as long as you be aware of range,not something super hard either.hard for close,softer for further.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

ok, good to know, I'm still learning what the limits of my Franchi are, for bigger game like big red's and Wap what would you suggest as a bullet that'll give certain knock down at say 300 metres
    95 sst, nosler ballistic tip have a good rep on here, I'm a big federal fusion or... just get the OG elk slayer. A 270
    BRADS and Micky Duck like this.

Is this nonsense still going on?

270 is for folks who, for whatever reason, lack the ability to use a 6.5mm adequately.
    Ground Control likes this.

108/109gr ELDM

Of course you need a rifle that will stabilise them

Been cruising around the states from Michigan too Arkansas. Stopping in at any sports shop I see and asking what's most popular. 3006. 270.308 and creedmore. Also 350 legend and 450 bushmaster. Long range is not as big a thing as made out and shop owners dont see that changing
    trooper90 likes this.
    Unsophisticated... AF!