Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: .270 is the best caliber ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    I think it appeals to those of us that really just want one rifle to do everything in a simple system.

I must admit I get a feeling of superiority if Im hunting with someone and I have my 270 draped across my daypack, reticle on the animal, and am waiting for the other person to range the animal and dial. Knowing I could have it dead all ready...
    Spot on. For general meat hunting in the hands of a competent shooter it is great for that purpose. Quick to deploy, hard hitting and unsophisticated.

Sub 400m it’s very capable with modern ammunition.If I expect to shoot further than that, then I bring out the rifles with adjustable scope turrets etc.

you mean Jack O'Conner, preacher for the 270 lol @Tentman

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    you mean Jack O'Conner, preacher for the 270 lol @Tentman
    Jack was a bit more honest (and smarter too probably) than most of them but the 270 was well underway before he achieved major attention as a writer.

Bit of a legend but the funny thing was his wife shot a 7x57 mauser.

As a young man I was shown and offered a model 54 winchester in 270 that purportedly was sent to NZ to test on our deer herds before they released the cartridge.

It would have been one of the first model 54s and first 270s if so. Wish I could have afforded that rifle.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Pre 64 M70 270win, the Jack O'Connor rifle. I need to get some period mounts and scope.
    Name:  20241009_163532.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  4.51 MB
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Pre 64 M70 270win, the Jack O'Connor rifle. I need to get some period mounts and scope.
    Attachment 260792
    Run it with irons......then you can be Iron Songhurst
    Tahr, Fisherman, Gibo and 3 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

The year is 2024 ……….. not 1974

My old 1996 Hilux is a great Ute , but my 2022 model is better because of industry improvements and innovation , does my old Luxy get me to where I want to go “ Yes “ but…………….
    Dama dama, norsk and will.i.em like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post

My old 1996 Hilux is a great Ute , but my 2022 model is better because of industry improvements and innovation , does my old Luxy get me to where I want to go “ Yes “ but…………….

Your comparison is wrong. your 022 model still runs on the same fuel as the 96 one.
    erniec likes this.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Haha but the 7x64 wasn't invented by US gunwriters making up bullshit at the behest of their local firearms industry to sell shit to unsophisticated folks . . . .
    You just gave me a great idea for a signature.
    Gibo and Joe_90 like this.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    There’s no denying that the 270 Win and 6.5 Creedmoor have impressive ballistics. The 270 is the obvious choice when kinetic energy is needed, as it fires similarly weighted bullets to the 6.5 CM at higher velocities.
    This begs the question as to why the 6.5 CM is so popular? If the 270 has more case capacity, why then do we see the firing line at F-Class competitions flooded with 6.5 Creedmoor?... The answer lies in the barrel and bullet selection.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed to shoot long, high B.C. bullets. Long, heavy bullets require a faster twist rate to stabilize properly. Therefore, a 1:8 twist barrel was standardized for the calibre.

On the other hand, we need to remember what the 270 was designed to do; which is provide a flatter shooting alternative to its parent case, the 30-06 Springfield. Back in the 1920’s, it’s highly unlikely that ballistic coefficients were weighing heavily on the minds of rifle makers.

Back then, velocity was king and the 130 grain Spitzer fired by the 270 Win quickly became known as a flat shooting bullet. Therefore, the manufacturers standardized the 1:10 twist rate for the 270, which is good for bullets up to 150 grains, but not much heavier than that (unless you use your rounded low BC 170 grainers) This gives the 6.5 Creedmoor a clear advantage in terms of bullet selection thanks to its faster twist rate.
    Unless you compare apples with apples and give same fast twist advantage to both..... It will happen eventually as the 6.8spc made them a thing lol
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post

Yet there's still plenty of people that would much rather prefer to own and drive the old hilux than the new one.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Unless you compare apples with apples and give same fast twist advantage to both..... It will happen eventually as the 6.8spc made them a thing lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Yet there's still plenty of people that would much rather prefer to own and drive the old hilux than the new one.
    The 6.5 CM is superior to the .270...you two are just biased and still in denial
    I'll give the 270 one thing though... there's no denying that the 0.277” bullet diameter is going to leave a bigger hole than a 0.264” bullet. A bigger hole means faster blood-loss and less suffering to the deer.

That being said, the 270 bullet is only 0.013” wider than the 0.264” bullet, which is why I believe shot placement is the key to taking deer and the 6.5 CM is just easier to shoot than the 270 (50% less recoil).

I'll apologise now to some of you old codgers (aka 'coffin-dodgers'), who may relate to this quick summary: the 270 did work well but is now too old and needs to retire... as it's been superseded by younger 'better' cartridges.
    BRADS likes this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Yes.
    All of the 270's Ive shot along next to have had that runner thing. They died, but went for a trot first. Interestingly I haven't noticed it with my 270wsm. Bias?
    Yes I don’t know why but it is noticeable, you are right about the 270 WSM that sits them down very quickly. Once again speed kills when placed in the right spot.

Never owned a 270 but sure as hell won't knock what I haven't used aye. Proof of the pudding plenty of animals die with a .277 size ventilation hole(s) in the vitals. All are each to their own on insert debate here- .but let's stop this infighting stuff aye folks and just appreciate some people like different things for different reasons as they suit their needs better for whatever reason.