Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: .270 is the best caliber ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Yes I don’t know why but it is noticeable, you are right about the 270 WSM that sits them down very quickly. Once again speed kills when placed in the right spot.
    What would cause it? I cant think of a single reason outside of the mentioned bias for it.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Never owned a 270 but sure as hell won't knock what I haven't used aye. Proof of the pudding plenty of animals die with a .277 size ventilation hole(s) in the vitals. All are each to their own on insert debate here- .but let's stop this infighting stuff aye folks and just appreciate some people like different things for different reasons as they suit their needs better for whatever reason.
    Its all light hearted. No 270 user is going to get upset because others dont like them. Some creedmore users might be tearing at their man buns though.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    What would cause it? I cant think of a single reason outside of the mentioned bias for it.
    The funny thing about “ Bias “ is that it can go both ways
    Shamus_ and Hermitage like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

It's getting to a point where we are trying to make a wheel more rounder.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    The funny thing about “ Bias “ is that it can go both ways
    yep for sure. But in this actual case what would cause a 130-150 gr projectile at 2800 to 3200fps of a reasonable diameter, to do something remarkably different too others in a similar class?

Its not something I have ever noticed, and Ive used that particular cartridge alot. So the most likely factor to identify is the shooters choices, or bias in information perceived/ a combination of both, Surely?
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    The 6.5 CM is superior to the .270...you two are just biased and still in denial
    I'll give the 270 one thing though... there's no denying that the 0.277” bullet diameter is going to leave a bigger hole than a 0.264” bullet. A bigger hole means faster blood-loss and less suffering to the deer.

That being said, the 270 bullet is only 0.013” wider than the 0.264” bullet, which is why I believe shot placement is the key to taking deer and the 6.5 CM is just easier to shoot than the 270 (50% less recoil).

I'll apologise now to some of you old codgers (aka 'coffin-dodgers'), who may relate to this quick summary: the 270 did work well but is now too old and needs to retire... as it's been superseded by younger 'better' cartridges.
    However you dice it, the 270win has a bit more smoke out to 350-400m

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Yes.
    All of the 270's Ive shot along next to have had that runner thing. They died, but went for a trot first. Interestingly I haven't noticed it with my 270wsm. Bias?
    This is why I aim to take out the front wheels,they can't go far with them out of action.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Never owned a 270 but sure as hell won't knock what I haven't used aye. Proof of the pudding plenty of animals die with a .277 size ventilation hole(s) in the vitals. All are each to their own on insert debate here- .but let's stop this infighting stuff aye folks and just appreciate some people like different things for different reasons as they suit their needs better for whatever reason.
    Hence the post, was wondering if it was all banter or if there were valid reasons. This forum is pretty handy for honest information, a Google search just leads you to whichever bias you already have.

yep for sure. But in this actual case what would cause a 130-150 gr projectile at 2800 to 3200fps of a reasonable diameter, to do something remarkably different too others in a similar class?

Its not something I have ever noticed, and Ive used that particular cartridge alot. So the most likely factor to identify is the shooters choices, or bias in information perceived/ a combination of both, Surely?
    There is an absolute HUGE difference between brands and models of projectiles..some are harder than hard and don't expand bugger all,others very explody. Personally I like explody 130 grn and not so explody heavier weights. Lightweights for light game and pick shots carefully on bigger deer...using stouter,heavies take out the front wheels and they dead before they limp five yards. Of all the deer I e shot with .270 over the years,the only ones that go more than twenty yards is when I haven't hit shoulders.
    Dama dama and RUMPY like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Its all light hearted. No 270 user is going to get upset because others dont like them. Some creedmore users might be tearing at their man buns though.
    Jack O,Conner and his wife were sitting round the campfire one night and she asked Jack what made you buy that 270 man bun, my 7x57 has done the job for years. lol
    trooper90, Mathias and 30.06king like this.

It would have more likely been pantywaste.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Speed
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

THIS is the correct answer I would hope, certainly in my case, it's all good fun and I only back the 270win because it's what I have always had as my main hunting rifle. I bet the deer don't know what killed them.
    Anyone who gets seriously upset by someone not liking the tool they use or not liking what someone else uses really needs to ask themselves why.

Well it filled in a rainy day, most of my comments got the cancel button haha
    RUMPY likes this.

Il stick with my 308,its a sholder breaker.270 still a good shooter tho.