Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree397Likes

Thread: .270 is the best caliber ever made.

Just my experience in the 3 years up till recently I was guiding meat hunts. Most of the guys that turned up with new rifles, would likely a few years back have bought a 7/08. They now had a creedmoor. I blame the retail outlets largely.

In my last year of doing such I started to see the odd PRC showing up.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

Couple of guides from the wind swept highlands of Scotland talk about why the 270 among other magnums works for what they do..

https://youtu.be/_IAkCoa3z8U?si=DMaETbYziHBRdoox

Bit of eperience and perspective.
    whanahuia and techno retard like this.

Just stop
    7mmsaum, GSP HUNTER and BRADS like this.

its a wonder the 6.5 06 hasnt caught on for a flat shooter and same sized case, I guess because no factory ammo
    Ross Nolan, csmiffy and grandpamac like this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Just stop
    @Gibo - I wonder if you are actually a "closet 270 guy" and are worried that all this talk might provoke you into "coming out" hahahhaha
    GSP HUNTER, Gibo and Micky Duck like this.

Had one when I was young, DUMB and full of shit

Still got alot of pages to fill before we get to the level of debate on the awesome 25-06!

I need to have more of these type of discussions. Every time I do I seem to get a big boar.
    I saw some young pigs a few days back up a gorgy small river. One of our farm staff is training up some pig dog pups and so tonight I said to him, lets go see if we can get onto them. Plan was I drop him off down river and then boost it upstream too some bluffs while he hunted the dogs on up. First system where id seen the pigs, and no result. I headed off again to come out on another high bluff over looking the river and there were 7 pigs out in the open. I waited quietly for his dogs too arrive and they latched on to an 80lb boar, and then I let rip at 150lb boar as he tried to escape. High shot entry shooting down but result was the same with centre of lungs and top of heart destroyed and he went straight too the ground. It was about a 90 meter shot of my knee.
    lets be real. there are a number of calibers that would have achieved that at that range. creed more,308, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57, rem mag, 300 win for example.
    But I stuck the 270 in the middle of that list for a reason, it can compete with the bigger rounds while still not having overtly more recoil than the others.
    Trout, Dama dama, Mooseman and 1 others like this.
    Unsophisticated... AF!

My 270 is on the list to be suppressed , then I will use it more often.
    Trout, Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    its a wonder the 6.5 06 hasnt caught on for a flat shooter and same sized case, I guess because no factory ammo
    I'd say 6.5-284 took most of it's thunder.
    The worldwide trend has been towards short action cartridges, either short magnums or just shorter, fatter, less tapered cases.

For the most part you can get near 6mm/6.5mm/7mm - 06 performance from a short action cartridge without going to a magnum.

3006 and 270 only remain popular because there are so many rifles already in existence.
    No manufacturer would release a new cartridge of that design today.

Actually Winchester probably would.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    The worldwide trend has been towards short action cartridges, either short magnums or just shorter, fatter, less tapered cases.

For the most part you can get near 6mm/6.5mm/7mm - 06 performance from a short action cartridge without going to a magnum.

3006 and 270 only remain popular because there are so many rifles already in existence.

Wise words , Wise words indeed.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post

On a side note the 6.5 .284 has a horribly short neck

Often overlooked is the longer cartridge's like the 270 and its parent the 30.06 feed really well.
    I now use a 243 and 222 more but they are rubbish compared to the 30.06 for loading rounds and chambering them.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    I need to have more of these type of discussions. Every time I do I seem to get a big boar.
    I saw some young pigs a few days back up a gorgy small river. One of our farm staff is training up some pig dog pups and so tonight I said to him, lets go see if we can get onto them. Plan was I drop him off down river and then boost it upstream too some bluffs while he hunted the dogs on up. First system where id seen the pigs, and no result. I headed off again to come out on another high bluff over looking the river and there were 7 pigs out in the open. I waited quietly for his dogs too arrive and they latched on to an 80lb boar, and then I let rip at 150lb boar as he tried to escape. High shot entry shooting down but result was the same with centre of lungs and top of heart destroyed and he went straight too the ground. It was about a 90 meter shot of my knee.
    lets be real. there are a number of calibers that would have achieved that at that range. creed more,308, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57, rem mag, 300 win for example.
    But I stuck the 270 in the middle of that list for a reason, it can compete with the bigger rounds while still not having overtly more recoil than the others.
    You figot ti mention a .222 or maybe a .223 lol...both are very lethal at 90 mtrs,,,anywhere in the eye eh ..
    whanahuia likes this.

.270 is the best caliber ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    On a side note the 6.5 .284 has a horribly short neck
    But it’s long enough.

But to get the most out of it you want the long action.

Just can’t understand the phobia on carrying a long action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk